The world is over-correcting

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Atlanta, (Originally from B'ham)

And you are part of the problem for sharing/propagating such a ridiculous, likely tampered meme. Have you seen anyone of substance expending resources on righting this "wrong"??? Folks have been duped for sure if they'd give a flip about something so insignificant, when real, life-impacting things need to be changed.

All that said, we DO over-correct, but again, I don't believe this to be a good example of it. There are enough real examples that you could have used rather than propagating some crap that will only inflame folks and route some off from true issues, (as they'll start lumping in really importing things, and writing them off as just another ridiculous over-reaction similar to the crayons).

Last edited:
Reactions: NotAiO

tigrdent

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2002
And you are part of the problem for sharing/propagating such a ridiculous, likely tampered meme. Have you seen anyone of substance expending resources on righting this "wrong"??? Folks have been duped for sure if they'd give a flip about something so insignificant, when real, life-impacting changes need to be made.

All that said, we DO over-correct, but again, I don't believe this to be a good example of it. There are enough real examples that you could have used rather than propagating some crap that will only inflame folks and route some off from true issues, (as they'll lump it in as just another ridiculous over-reaction).
lol....you ok?

TigerTime099

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2002
North Shelby County
And you are part of the problem for sharing/propagating such a ridiculous, likely tampered meme. Have you seen anyone of substance expending resources on righting this "wrong"??? Folks have been duped for sure if they'd give a flip about something so insignificant, when real, life-impacting changes need to be made.

All that said, we DO over-correct, but again, I don't believe this to be a good example of it. There are enough real examples that you could have used rather than propagating some crap that will only inflame folks and route some off from true issues, (as they'll lump it in as just another ridiculous over-reaction).
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I4CAW

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Mountain Brook, AL
Someone should tell the United Negro College Fund they are racist AF.
No kidding. Don't even get me started on the NAACP

With all due respect, there are precious few persons "of substance" (regardless of how the term might reasonably be defined) on either side of the debate.

Therein lies the rub

Ruxy Poo

All-American
Silver Member
May 18, 2020
Atlanta

I am trying to meet in the middle. You have clearly never been wrong before. I am sorry you are too arrogant to see something that might not fit your narrative without bias

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I am trying to meet in the middle. You have clearly never been wrong before. I am sorry you are too arrogant to see something that might not fit your narrative without bias
No, I've been wrong PLENTY of times, but I try to be open, honest, fair and objective so that I can learn and grow when new and better information and explanations are presented to me or I otherwise come across them.

I'd imagine that someone may have put together that as a meme/joke/funny, but either way, it's silly to offer it as proof of something, as if that's why folks are out there marching. IMHO, things like that serve to do far more harm than good, (as they cause others to trivialize serious issues/items instead of encouraging folks to participate in open, honest, intellectually honest debate that gets us closer to solutions). That's just my opinion, but it's why I took exception to your OP.

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The thing you're asking a question about doesn't even exist in real life that I'm aware of....
As usual, you misinterpret. The United Negro College Fund, NAACP, and BET all exist in real life, and all have been lifted as examples of discrimination, and being "held down", by folks who complain about reverse discrimination.

Reactions: ricedp105

ricedp105

DISPENSER OF RICE NUGGETS
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As usual, you misinterpret. The United Negro College Fund, NAACP, and BET all exist in real life, and all have been lifted as examples of discrimination, and being "held down", by folks who complain about reverse discrimination.
Well I feel dumb, thought it was just a made up organization from Mr. Deeds(kinda like the Human Fund was in Seinfeld), Kerryon then.

WarDamnEagle

I AM GUS-PROOF
Gold Member
May 29, 2001

WOKE

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Well I feel dumb, thought it was just a made up organization from Mr. Deeds(kinda like the Human Fund was in Seinfeld), Kerryon then.
No, it's a real organization that folks used to attack and hold up as proof that AA's were discriminating against them. Same as the comments where folks would rail about BET, (talking about short-sighted and mis-placed). These things were only needed because all of the other organizations would not address the needs of AA's who lacked funding to attend college, (which was a significant root cause contributing to the education gap), and had gentrified discrimination in the very laws of the land, (both written and unwritten defacto laws).

Every other station besides BET was a W.E.T., so someone filled the niche that these big network stations didn't care about, by catering to the relatively small minority market, (which then led to claims of discrimination and unfairness by those who didn't realize that every other station was a W.E.T. so there was no unfairness or discrimination involved).

Last edited:

Thrill

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
Atlanta
No, it's a real organization that folks used to attack and hold up as proof that AA's were discriminating against them. Same as the comments where folks would rail about BET, (talking about short-sighted and mis-placed). These things were only needed because all of the other organizations would not address the needs of AA's who lacked funding to attend college, (which was a significant contributor to the education gap), and had gentrified discrimination in the very laws of the land, (both written and unwritten).

Every other station besides BET was a W.E.T., so someone filled the niche by catering to the relatively small minority market, (which led to claims of discrimination and unfairness by those who didn't realize that every other station was a W.E.T. so there was no unfairness or discrimination involved).
I've always the "Black" in BET was more a reference to culture than to race. Also, what other word lets people know as quickly and easily that this television network focuses on programming of, by, or related to African Americans. I get why people misunderstand it, but I've never thought it was a racist name.

Ruxy Poo

All-American
Silver Member
May 18, 2020
Atlanta
No, I've been wrong PLENTY of times, but I try to be open, honest, fair and objective so that I can learn and grow when new and better information and explanations are presented to me or I otherwise come across them.

I'd imagine that someone may have put together that as a meme/joke/funny, but either way, it's silly to offer it as proof of something, as if that's why folks are out there marching. IMHO, things like that serve to do far more harm than good, (as they cause others to trivialize serious issues/items instead of encouraging folks to participate in open, honest, intellectually honest debate that gets us closer to solutions). That's just my opinion, but it's why I took exception to your OP.
I said over correcting. I didn’t say all the correcting wasn’t needed. I’m glad people are finally concerned about police violence. Confederate stuff didn’t bother me but I do see how it causes heartache to black people so I agree take it down. But where do we stop? It just seems like there is a mob mentality and if you speak your opinion against it your career is on the line. This is why I said over correcting. Can someone join me in the middle?

JollyLlama

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2015

Whatever you do don't ask him/her about sex or bring up your exploits ... That's his/her favorite soapbox!

jdAU08

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 20, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I said over correcting. I didn’t say all the correcting wasn’t needed. I’m glad people are finally concerned about police violence. Confederate stuff didn’t bother me but I do see how it causes heartache to black people so I agree take it down. But where do we stop? It just seems like there is a mob mentality and if you speak your opinion against it your career is on the line. This is why I said over correcting. Can someone join me in the middle?
It's not even speaking your opinion. But NOT agreeing with someone else's opinion can cancel you atm. That Drew Brees thing was so effing dumb. But Lebron can literally say he hates white people, doesn't want white friends, doesn't associate with white people, etc., and that's a perfectly common stance to take and socially normal.

Last edited:

Russ47

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Auburn, Al
But what about Paw Patrol?

Reactions: orientalthunder

Bassman

GEN. COUNSEL
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
SoWeGa
You've hit on something that is breaking our great nation, and if you weren't considering it in larger context, I apologize for hijacking this thread...but here goes: we've lost nuance and context in our national communication. This isn't one-sided; there is ample blame for this to go around. Too often we feel the need to shout another into submission, to belittle another into silence, to prod to anger instead of stimulating open and rational discussion.

And the over-correcting? Absolutely. The pendulum that represents American politics can have a long arc. For decades it moved slowly out to the left, sometimes apace, sometimes at a snails pace, but always leftward. This continued through Democratic and Republican administrations. Then it more moved quickly during Obama's tenure. That movement to a large degree provoked the first primarily rightward movement in years and years under Trump, and the change was sudden and violent enough that it created the equivalent of an earthquake and aftershocks in the political orthodoxy of this nation which has spread down to local politics, lighting little fires all along the way. If a Dem wins in 2020, I expect the pendulum to again shift violently left; not as violently left as it went right because the current candidate is a placeholder who isn't likely to introduce much controversy in his Presidency if elected. If Trump wins, it will move still further right, and with pace.

These wide changes in policy-making aren't good for the country. All things in moderation, even politics. Change should come more slowly and in measured bites, lest you end up with what we're seeing in the country now. I'm not leveling blame here but pointing out the continuum of events that leads us to where we are. Was it avoidable, this immense rift in the country? Hard to say. We've been trending towards ideological divorce for decades now, and it may become a divorce in reality at some point in our lifetimes as a result.

Whoever the next President is, they must attempt to ameliorate the turmoil that has been festering in this nation. They must step back from caustic rhetoric and set an example worth following. Likewise, those who seek undermine the nation as a democratic republic for political or economic reasons, and those who feel marginalized for any reason, must be reassured that their needs and wants are heard and understood and that they're all part of the multi-voiced tapestry of American culture, in which we all share common values.

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ruxy, did you notice in my response, that I AGREED that we are over-correcting??? I HATE this social media/mob justice system where if you don't agree with group-think, they spring into over-action, and try to get you fired. 1st amendment rights are good in general, (abused many times, but overall good), and there are other ways to deal with ignorance and harmful ideology IMHO. Don't deflect from the point I'm making about the silly example, by focusing only on the fact that we do over-correct.

However, my disagreement with your OP had nothing to do with the over-correction, but was due to the fact that you used such a ridiculous example to highlight your point. As I said initially, there are plenty of valid examples, but when you use something that silly, it causes people to look, roll their eyes, and wave their hand with a "Get the F outta here with that ish, these people have lost their minds" attitude. Then, when they come across other complaints that are actually valid, they take the same approach and just wave them off, because they've unconsciously/consciously lumped the valid issues in with the silly, contrived examples similar to complaining about a crayon, and by doing so they end up dismissing valid complaints and doing harm to society. Just look at how many "likes" you got for your OP.

Bassman

GEN. COUNSEL
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
SoWeGa
It's not even speaking your opinion. But NOT agreeing with someone else's opinion can cancel you atm. That Drew Brees thing was so effing dumb. But Lebron can literally say he hates white people, doesn't want white friends, doesn't associate with white people, etc. but that's a perfectly common stance to take and socially normal.
Drew Brees isn't canceled. What he said could have been much better stated in a way that both expresses his personal beliefs and yet didn't call out his fellow teammates, but the dude is a QB, not a lawyer or a PR rep. It is what it is.

Lebron didn't say he hates white people or any of the stuff you just said. He did say that he grew up "institutionalized not to **** with white people" and that he had to learn to trust white people. I think that's pretty honest.

jdAU08

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 20, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Drew Brees isn't canceled. What he said could have been much better stated in a way that both expresses his personal beliefs and yet didn't call out his fellow teammates, but the dude is a QB, not a lawyer or a PR rep. It is what it is.

Lebron didn't say he hates white people or any of the stuff you just said. He did say that he grew up "institutionalized not to **** with white people" and that he had to learn to trust white people. I think that's pretty honest.
Have you seen his show? It's extremely racist. But not surprising as racism is only one-sided in 2020

Reactions: dlc02

Ruxy Poo

All-American
Silver Member
May 18, 2020
Atlanta
Ruxy, did you notice in my response, that I AGREED that we are over-correcting??? I HATE this social media/mob justice system where if you don't agree with group-think, they spring into over-action, and try to get you fired. 1st amendment rights are good in general, (abused many times, but overall good), and there are other ways to deal with ignorance and harmful ideology IMHO. Don't deflect from the point I'm making about the silly example, by focusing only on the fact that we do over-correct.

However, my disagreement with your OP had nothing to do with the over-correction, but was due to the fact that you used such a ridiculous example to highlight your point. As I said initially, there are plenty of valid examples, but when you use something that silly, it causes people to look, roll their eyes, and wave their hand with a "Get the F outta here with that ish, these people have lost their minds" attitude. Then, when they come across other complaints that are actually valid, they take the same approach and just wave them off, because they've unconsciously/consciously lumped the valid issues in with the silly, contrived examples similar to complaining about a crayon, and by doing so they end up dismissing valid complaints and doing harm to society. Just look at how many "likes" you got for your OP.
I appreciate your discussion. My example was ridiculous bc it is ridiculous out there

Reactions: ricedp105

Latest posts