ADVERTISEMENT

The other side

This is long. Just saying.
I work in education and I feel it has changed a lot. Not just with respecting law enforcement but authority in general. I’m from Morgan County in North Alabama and we have it better than most just because we are from the South. Some kids are still taught respect. BUT, kids still back-to Police officers, Sheriff’s deputies, State Troopers, Teachers, Principals, you name it. Also when the parents get there to back their child up, they usually start with a cursing tirade and you don’t have to wonder then why the kids act the way they do. When I got in trouble at school (and I got in plenty), my parents never came to the school to confront the teacher or Principal; they confronted me. I never was disrespectful but I was very mischievous. They backed the teacher and Principal 100%. No questions. I also don’t think times have changed to make it this way. Parents have changed. Kids will still do whatever they are allowed to get away with, just like I did. Always have.
I once had a parent tell me her daughter wouldn’t lie to her, after the kid’s Principal and I watched a video of the bus route where the girl got in trouble. She was 11. Name me an 11 year old that won’t lie. There isn’t one.
I don't think it is bad as you think. I believe that a lot of kids have always had crappy attitudes while in school and got in trouble. The thing we have to find reward and punishment that will do the job.

The grades is not enough for a reward we need to tie that to job opportunities. Something that is going to get them to work at school and learn the rewards of discipline. We need help here from everybody.

Punishment has to be something that becomes negative reinforcement and not positive. Taking away a lot of the work detail aspects of detention ends up making discipline have the wrong effect. It gets them the attention the desire and makes them act up more.

We are partially to blame for the police and communities not getting along because we are not instilling that structure and discipline that is needed. We are letting the kids frame what is acceptable when confronting authority and it carries over in the community. I am not sure what the community will let us do but we have to make school more structured in how we react to authority.

Reactions: AU-Principal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT