ADVERTISEMENT

The 2004 Tigers offensive architect, Al Borges, to publish book out this August, "Deny of the Tiger"

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
I had a nice exchange with Al Borges today, and he's doing well. From Al:

My book, Deny of the Tiger, is the story of the undefeated 2004 Auburn Tigers, who were denied the opportunity to play for the BCS national championship. It will come out in August of this year.

Many believe it's the impetus for changing to the 4-team playoff system we have today. The story takes you through my hiring and transition to the south ( in particular, the SEC), through the 2005 Sugar Bowl. Being written 18 years after the fact allowed me to draw several comparisons to other places I've coached.

It addresses the residuals of the "JetGate" scandal, my underdog role in the hiring process, my cultural transition to the south, taking over for the coordinator who was retained, my dealings with the head coach, as well as a detailed depiction of all 13 games which were purely assessed from a coaching perspective.

It will take you into the huddle, on the sideline, in our meeting rooms and, yes, even the locker room. I tell several stories that have not been told, some compelling and some hilarious. It's an easy read for anyone who's interested in the selfless nature of a team who's majestic synergy lead to an unblemished campaign and a "should be" national championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.