ADVERTISEMENT

Team grades after 4 games, compliments of PFF

Scuff

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I thought I’d pull the PFF numbers for Auburn players and see who they consider the top performers at this point in the season.

TLDR – Keldrick Faulk, Jalen McCloud, and Champ Anthony (I know) are playing great. Luke Deal, Keionte Scott, and Gage Keys are not.

Here’s a handful of PFF-inspired performance numbers that you might enjoy. If you don’t like PFF, go scroll yourself.

Best defensive player – Keldrick Faulk. He’s the #10 Edge in FCS per PFF, and the only 2027 draft-eligible edge in the top 10. For the mentally challenged, that means he’s currently the #1 edge in the country in the sophomore class. He’s also the #5 rush D edge in the country, regardless of class, as a true So.

2nd best defensive player – Jalen McCloud. He’s the #18 Edge in FCS per PFF. #6 rush edge in the country, right behind Faulk. The defense has some issues. Edge isn’t one of them.

3rd best defensive player – Champ Anthony – get better soon, bud, we’re gonna need your leadership next season.

Honorable mention – Jayson Jones is quietly shutting down the middle of the line. 72.4 for a NG/DL is 7th in the SEC. Not amazing, but top 4 for IDL and sniffing 3rd team All SEC. Take it for what it is; solid play.

Biggest disappointment on D – Keionte Scott – he’s destroying his draft potential by playing the wrong position. Selfishly hurting himself and the team. Honorable mention – Gage Keys. Yikes.

Best freshmen on D – If we’re going to do real teams (aka throw out A&M and UNM), it’s Jay Crawford. He’s been good (not great) all season as a TFR, and has a high ceiling. Kaleb Harris is not far behind at safety.

Best offensive player – brace yourself, I know it’s unlegal to post anti-narrative data on the bunker. Payton Thorne. Even if you throw out A&M, he’s still the top scoring player on offense. I’m aware that it’s required that we hate him, but, he’s #5 in the SEC. He’s ahead of Quinn Ewers. If you’re going to argue this point, at least make an effort with some data. For reference, “he suxes” is not data.

Best freshman and 2nd best offensive player – Malcolm Simmon or KLS. So, if you factor in Alabama A&M, KLS is #2. If you just look at P4 teams, Malcom is #2. Either way, they are both playing fantastic.

Best OL – have to call out Bradyn Joiner who has the highest grade, but he’s only played against A&M and UNM. For the P4 opponents, believe it or not, Ronan Chambers slightly beats our Conner Lew for top spot.

Best RB – Jarquez Hunter, followed by Jeremiah Cobb. Alston is way down, primary due to his fumbles.

Biggest disappointments on offense – Luke Deal in the low 50s. Robert Lewis and Sam Jackson at 59. Damari Alston at 60.3.

General trends - the Fr/So classes are much stronger than the Jr/Sr classes overall. 2025 is going to be a good year. 2026 is going to be better. Patience is a virtue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.