ADVERTISEMENT

Tate's Terrible, No-Good Picks (Week Five)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
I'm currently sitting 11th (out of 45) in my college covers league.

Fade me at yore own risk.

GAMES I HAD TO PICK:
Penn State +3.5 vs Ohio State — I sense that Ohio State is a slightly better team, but Penn State has been playing good football of late, the defense in particular, and Trace McSorley needs a break-out game. I think it happens today. I say PSU 24, OSU 21

Stanford -5.5 at Notre Dame — Lots of good offensive players for Stanford, lots of ND hype again. I think the Cardinal is significantly better than the Irish. I say Stanford 28, ND 17

Louisville +6.5 vs Florida State — Two pretty bad teams. FSU has an advantage knowing its quarterback is decent, but can anyone trust the Seminoles to accomplish anything on the road? Cardinals will fight harder (than last week's pitiful loss at UVa) at home this time around. I say FSU 20, U of L 17.

Arizona +3 vs Southern Cal — Again, two pretty weak teams. Arizona is riding a win streak of sorts (wins over Southern Utah and the Beavers), but USC seems quite infirmed relative to its usual form. The Trojans seem uninspired, weak. Plus, it's tough for me to not pick Khalil TATE in a game I see as almost even. I'll call it Cats 30, USCw 20.

Tennessee +31.5 at Georgia — The Bulldogs gain nothing from a 100-point victory. I'm hoping Kirby takes it easy on ol' Jeremy. I'll say UGA 41, Tennessee 14

Western Kentucky +4.5 vs Marshall — Teams seem almost even. I wish the Marshall-South Carolina game had been played a few weeks back to see if the Hundering Turd had anything in 'em. I have a hunch the 'Toppers will play a little better than expected at home against a team that beat them last season. (As an aside: Western played at Marshall the past two years as the C-USA juggled its schedule.) I'll say WKU 28, Marshall 24

GAME I CHOSE MYSELF:
Washington State +2 vs Utah — The Coogs are 4-0 against the spread this season and Utah ain't quite what it usually is. I know because two of my high school friends are Utah grads and they bitch constantly about the team. My concern is that Washington State scored 36 at Southern Cal and still lost (Yikes.) At the same time, I don't think Utah can score 39 points and the Coogs are at home this time. I'll call it WSU 31, Utah 21

STONE COLD LOCK: I doubled down on Stanford -5.5 at Notre Dame.

As an ode to my main man MEGALOCKS:

peace_5.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: INSIDESOURCE23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News