ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen A Smith on NETS hire of STEVE NASH

TARRIBULLLL TAKE frum dis guy.
Thare's a lotta grate black coaches around the NBA!!
Itz ok to hire white peeeepel two STEPHEN!!!
I thought it was interesting when he said that the political climate called for it. It really is a unique perspective. I’m not sure what’s right here, but I do know I LOVE Steve Nash

Reactions: Docdumpsta
2 minute mark...... hire was white privilege.

Hung out with Nash the night before the Natty game in Scottsdale at an insane party with Barkley on the roof of the W Hotel. He was really cool but kept hitting on my wife and sister in law who was with us. Finally some smokeshow came by and he hooked up with her. Those guys are wrapped up with the poon.

No pics available. My wife is from a remote tribe on the Choctawhatchee River and they believe if they have a picture made it takes their soul. Sorry.

Reactions: auburnra
I think his point is that white guys get a lot more benefit of the doubt as unconventional coaching hires. Take a guy like Jerry Stackhouse. He's coaching at Vandy because they say he doesn't have enough experience. But he's been an NBA assistant and a G league head coach.

I thought Stephen A was pretty even handed. He acknowledged this is probably the right hired for the Nets.

I thought it was interesting when he said that the political climate called for it. It really is a unique perspective. I’m not sure what’s right here, but I do know I LOVE Steve Nash
NASH walked into BARTOW ARENA about 70 yeeerz ago and neeerly hung a HUNDY on the BLAYZERS!!!!
Vary irresponsible take from this guy STEPHEN SMITH in my upinyun. My guess iz dat heeez doing this to raise hiz credibilty among black peeepel.

mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, doc rivers, and Derek fisher all were hired with literally ZERO coaching experience in recent years, just like Steve Nash.

FOH

And in before this turns into a shitshow of a thread

I think his point is that white guys get a lot more benefit of the doubt as unconventional coaching hires. Take a guy like Jerry Stackhouse. He's coaching at Vandy because they say he doesn't have enough experience. But he's been an NBA assistant and a G league head coach.

I thought Stephen A was pretty even handed. He acknowledged this is probably the right hired for the Nets.
What about Derek Fischer

This is what’s infuriating... don’t forget Isiah Thomas as well!

If I had to guess.. I’m sure KD and Kyrie has some input into the hire...

Dude... that wasn’t even handed. He chalked it up to white privilege despite Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, and Derek Fisher receiving the same opportunities. It’s a ridiculous take. No, Nash doesn’t have coaching experience. But almost 20 years as a floor general in the NBA and 2 mvp awards is absolutely applicable experience.

Dude... that wasn’t even handed. He chalked it up to white privilege despite Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, and Derek Fisher receiving the same opportunities. It’s a ridiculous take. No, Nash doesn’t have coaching experience. But almost 20 years as a floor general in the NBA and 2 mvp awards is absolutely applicable experienced
I concur my best good friend

I concur my best good friend
200.gif

Reactions: Bob Mapplethorpe
mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, doc rivers, and Derek fisher all were hired with literally ZERO coaching experience in recent years, just like Steve Nash.

FOH

And in before this turns into a shitshow of a thread
I was thinking there were a handful of players who have done this and trying to come up with an exhaustive list before I just dismissed it. The ones I can come up with are -

Steve Nash
Steve Kerr - front office to HC
Doc Rivers
Mark Jackson
Kevin McHale - front office to interim HC
Larry Bird - front office to HC
Danny Ainge
Derek Fisher
Isiah Thomas - front office to HC
Paul Silas
Magic Johnson for 16 games
Bill Russell - player/coach then HC
Tommy Heinsohn
Lenny Wilkens - player/coach then HC

There are a bunch more who had stints as assistants before becoming HC like Avery Johnson.

Looking at the list, I think it's NBA Hall of Fame privilege rather than white privilege, as the greatest players rarely spend time anywhere after their playing days besides the front office or as HC.

ADVERTISEMENT