ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Some general summer thoughts (7-23-24)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
I will heed BP's request that reporters who watch practice do not discuss any details from practice.

With that said, I don't think he has a problem with me relaying my general opinions about things I see.

a.) I love Miles Kelly, the transfer from Georgia Tech. He's an asset on both ends of the floor. He has a real intensity to him. When you have funny guys like Chad Baker bringing that kind of energy all the time, and Tahaad Pettiford does some of that as well, it's good to counteract that (IMO) with guys who maybe play with a more task-oriented approach. That's Kelly.

b.) When he was added out of the portal, SMU big man Ja'Heim Hudson looked like an OK guy to add. He's better than that. Everybody calls him "Turtle." So Turtle probably will be splitting time with Cardwell at center with Johni Broome maybe working more at power forward. Hudson has some range. He's not real quick, but he's pretty damn effective. I could see him adding a couple moves and being a plus on the scoring end near the bucket. Like I said, though, he can step out and knock down shots.

c.) Auburn has a lot of ball-handlers. That could make them tougher to guard this winter.

d.) This is a tough time for portal transfer JP Pegues (Furman) and Pettiford. They're still getting to know their new teammates and it's tough to distribute effectively, particularly in transition, when you don't know the habits/traits of the other guys. So they've been a little uneven. I'm not even slightly worried about it.

e.) Pettiford acts like he belongs. He's theatrical and chatty and brings a lot of energy with his mouth. He's not disrespectful, though. He's just mischievous. I like it.

f.) If you need a bucket, Broome gets the bucket. Period.

g.) Chaney Johnson is a treasure. I've never known an Auburn player who focuses on improvement like Chaney — not even Mustapha Heron. And I thought nobody ever would eclipse Staph. Chaney is coming from a different place in that he was just born to work hard. Staph was a pro's pro who picked up great habits from the great players he knew up in New York. Two very different people who have a similar effect on the people around them. All good.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.