ADVERTISEMENT

Softball camp notes

dr.au

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Auburn, Al
Mickey Dean is shaking up how camp is run again, Previous years the camp was basically a day camp for 4 days. The players at this camp had an option of staying in the dorms with the players acting as counselors. This the first of 2 summer camps started yesterday and will run through Thursday at noon. The camp is well run with little if any down time during instruction periods.
The teams have been formed by team colors. The previously committed players for 2019-2020 have formed 2 teams. The next two teams are formed of players who are being actively recruited ( my daughter a 2022 recruit is in this group). The following groups are younger recruits and some kids that just want to have the experience of having gone to an AU camp.
New NCAA rules now dictate that softball players may not be offered until September of their Junior year in HS. At first I thought this was terrible but after contemplation, I agree with this rule. I have seen players commit at 14 years old and decide to take more time off from training because they feel that they have made their goal. Their game did not continue to improve and some even declined in performance.
Every night they have game play between teams. My player is 14 and a rising freshman this year. She plays 18U ball and we left Virginia Sunday after her last game in an ASA tournament and drove the 9 hour trip to be ready for check-in yesterday at 9:30 am.
Leave Thursday after the end of camp (around noon) and drive straight to Savanna for a tournament that starts Thursday night. Quakertown, Pennsylvania the following Thursday.
Her high school in Va won both the 5A (highest level in Va.) state championship in softball and baseball two weeks ago. First time ever to happen in Va.
Updates to follow.
War Eagle!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.