ADVERTISEMENT

So we find ourselves here………..again

rthomas14

BUNKER SOCIAL CHAIR
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2007
I’ve been reading this board last night and today and I see some describing this as amusing or hilarious. I just don’t get that. This isn’t entertaining in the least to me. I’ve seen this show too many times it wasn’t funny with Tot. It wasn’t funny with Tubs. It wasn’t funny with Gene or Gus. We are our own worst enemy and that’s been true for many many years.
This years version is particularly embarrassing to Auburn. It’s ridiculous to consider parting ways with a coach after one season unless he has a clear “for cause” issue. The very fact that there seem to be people trying to build such an issue tells me there is no such clarity.
I have no idea if Harsin was ever going to be successful here but we hired him. We asked him to leave a job where he was the fair haired boy to come and take over our program. After one year, there are people stooping so low as to disparage his marriage to try to get the result they want. This isn’t right. I’m confident now that he can not be successful here because in 48 hours I think we’ve travelled too far down a bad road that we can’t get back to level ground again, but it’s not right.
It appears from comments made by some players that Coach Harsin has struggled developing an understand of and relating to players who came from nothing. That he’s so businesslike that he can’t relate to his players. That’s a problem. That would hurt recruiting and probably is reflected in his recruiting failures at this point. Other players have said those comments are weak and he’s an incredible leader and the man to lead this program. That he’s tough and tough is what we need. Not shockingly, those are the guys who have stuck around and the other comments are coming from the guys who left. There is probably some truth to both but what is absolutely true is, changing a culture isn’t easy. you could ask Pat Dye about that. Doing it in today’s culture as opposed to the one 40 years ago makes it all the more difficult.
What’s happening, isn’t right and the longer it is out there, the more I believe people are seeing it isn’t right. I’m not sure what happens now and I don’t know if he will/would succeed but he deserves a chance to succeed or fail. That’s just my opinion.
So what do we do now?
- We’ve lost 18 players to the portal. Those are the ones who didn’t buy in. We fire him today and I can almost assure you we lose 10+ more who completely bought in.
- the BOT tries to build a case “for cause” and we as a university look like complete idiots for trying to say a football coach is mean to his coaches. Pat Dye fired Jack Crowe multiple times every game.
- We try and do a reset and he maintains his position and Auburn is splintered and waiting for the inevitable to happen. The splintered part is unavoidable at this point.
As my grandmother was apt to say….. it’s a pickle (never understood that term)
It seems to me, three moments got us here and only one of them is directly related to the man who so many are trying to fire.
1. Our QB broke his ankle while leading a game 28-7. We lost that one and the next 4.
2. We left national signing day with one less scholarshipped player than we started.
3. Our OC of 10 days apparently had personal issues that precluded him from holding the position.
Without any two of those and maybe even one of those happening, we are only discussing basketball today.

Bryan Harsin was never my guy but once he was hired he got my full support. What’s happening now is wrong and he still has my support. He deserves a chance. I couldn’t stand Sonny Golloway. I thought he should have been fired after one season(for cause). He wasn’t and so therefore he was the coach I supported. I wanted him to be wildly successful because that’s was the only way Auburn could be wildly successful. Bryan Harsin is our coach and I support him.

I feel better now. Oh, BTW, I fully believe and have reason to believe that Derek Mason was encouraged to leave and avoid the mess that was coming so he could potentially be brought back as head Coach. Does that seem familiar? Sounds like the exact game plan that landed us our last head coach.

War Eagle guys and gals! This too shall pass.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News