ADVERTISEMENT

So, almost 13,000 black slaves were owned by black slave owners!

cooncreek

All-American
Jan 12, 2017
This is interesting. I never even thought about whether black slaves were owned by black people during the civil ware era, and they were! Approximately 3,400 black owners owned approximately 13,000 black slaves, and did so for the same reason the white owners did... to line their pockets with profits. Some even owned white indentured servants (not clear on what the difference is).

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

tenor.gif

This is interesting. I never even thought about whether black slaves were owned by black people during the civil ware era, and they were! Approximately 3,400 black owners owned approximately 13,000 black slaves, and did so for the same reason the white owners did... to line their pockets with profits. Some even owned white indentured servants (not clear on what the difference is).

Slavery is an economic tool. Vulnerable people are enslaved by more equipped people with umm "not ideal" morals. It doesn't matter the race or color of either side.

A "Free". Black man in New Bern, NC was the largest slave owner in the state. Per the folks at the New Bern academy and the Tryon Palace

IIRC, he did free a number of slaves over the years

WDE

Reactions: hooter80
Interesting thread...I guess.

Hadn't read the article until now, but it seems that a large percentage were people who "owned" family members to protect them. And then there are horrible people who owned slaves and exploited their labor just like white slave owners.

Last edited:
Interesting thread...I guess.

Hadn't read the article until now, but it seems that a large percentage were people who "owned" family members to protect them. And then there are horrible people who owned slaves and exploited their label just like white slave owners.
So where do you fall on the reparations argument as it relates to slavery?

Slavery was all over the world back then. Both blacks and whites had been enslaved in mass in different countries. And there were both white and black slaves in America before the Civil War. Idk what the ratio was though, I'm guessing there was a higher ratio of black slaves.

Slavery really was not as big of a race thing as people make it out to be imo. Yes obviously there was racism against blacks from whites. But that's more to do with people being racist period.

Things not taught in history class....

That was actually an interesting article.

Worth reading.

While this is of course sad, it’s also kind of funny:

“ A Columbus, Georgia, black woman — Dilsey Pope — owned her husband. "He offended her in some way and she sold him … " Fanny Canady of Louisville, Kentucky, owned her husband Jim — a drunken cobbler — whom she threatened to "sell down the river." At New Bern, North Carolina, a free black wife and son purchased their slave husband-father. When the newly bought father criticized his son, the son sold him to a slave trader. The son boasted afterward that "the old man had gone to the corn fields about New Orleans where they might learn him some manners." ”

You don’t say?
Absolutely. The slaves often went out ahead of the main groups clearing the trail, killing wild animals, setting up camps, washing clothes, cooking food, guarding the camps at night, etc....

Reactions: Solo Cup
Slavery was all over the world back then. Both blacks and whites had been enslaved in mass in different countries. And there were both white and black slaves in America before the Civil War. Idk what the ratio was though, I'm guessing there was a higher ratio of black slaves.

Slavery really was not as big of a race thing as people make it out to be imo. Yes obviously there was racism against blacks from whites. But that's more to do with people being racist period.
Racism is prejudice. We all have our prejudices. Think about it. When those prejudices become a problem is when society decides your prejudices are not acceptable.

I love it when the racists come out to play.
OP was reading an article by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. on Roots. Neither of whom are exactly known for their white nationalism.

Really don’t think he should be criticized for such.....even if I’m not so sure what exactly he got out of the article. The fact he read it is a positive.

Didn't know this either. I think I need to find some unabridged history books.
Never a bad idea.

Id higher my recommend the (relatively) recent printing of a book written in the 1920s or 30s about the last survivor of the last slave ship, which had recently been discovered around Mobile. The Cotilda I think.

By Zara Hurston I think....she’s famous. Will google.

ETA: Barracoon: The Story of the Last Slave by Zora Neale Hurston

OP was reading an article by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. on Roots. Neither of whom are exactly known for their white nationalism.

Really don’t think he should be criticized for such.....even if I’m not so sure what exactly he got out of the article. The fact he read it is a positive.
I'm not trying to be racist in the least. I abhor racism. I just get pummeled by daily news articles that point out how badly whites treated black people back then (and now), so I was just curious if blacks treated members of their own race just as badly. They did. (Not as many as whites did, but it did happen) I think every race does or has done in the past. Don't need to glorify it, but it does need to be recognized.
What's the old expression, "your bound to repeat history if you forget it." or something like that. The only way we (society) will get past this is if we learn from the past.

Reactions: gtmann1

Fvck why is it always out of the frying pan into the fire on this board?

Fvck why is it always out of the frying pan into the fire on this board?
Again. OP is reading articles on Root by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

This is simply not a time to criticize.

Ironically, it’s behavior like you’re exhibiting here that.......sigh.

Reactions: 94WDE and hooter80

A large portion of the Irish were Indentured servants, they were slaves by another name.

The Jews were enslaved by the Egyptians. You don’t seem them carrying on about it.

That happened 3,000 + years ago ... assuming it happened.
Again. OP is reading articles on Root by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

This is simply not a time to criticize.

Ironically, it’s behavior like you’re exhibiting here that.......sigh.

It's simply a time to keep contentious bullshit off the board.

The Jews were enslaved by the Egyptians. You don’t seem them carrying on about it.
They were enslaved by Rome as well. Jewish slaves helped build the Colosseum which is considered one of the wonders of the world.

2020 is a beast got damn i'm telling you what. It just DON'T STOP.

It's simply a time to keep contentious bullshit off the board.
If you read the article, it’s not contentious.

And again, if OP clicked on Root once, he’s more likely to do so again. He’s more likely to read something different than he normally reads or hears. This is a positive.

IMO you expected it to be something it’s not, and reacted a bit emotionally. It’s tough times. I get it.

If you read the article, it’s not contentious.

And again, if OP clicked on Root once, he’s more likely to do so again. He’s more likely to read something different than he normally reads or hears. This is a positive.

IMO you expected it to be something it’s not, and reacted a bit emotionally. It’s tough times. I get it.

You're 100% accurate that I get tired of reading bullshit on the board.

You're 100% accurate that I get tired of reading bullshit on the board.
Do you realize you got an article from The Root moved?

Do you realize the harm you did?

I’m sure you don’t.

This is arguably worse than yesterday when there was a dialogue on characteristics of US House races, characteristics that have been true for years and years, and you started rambling about Trump.

You’re smarter than this.

Reactions: Solo Cup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT