ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: I don't "see" everything posted here so this may be old news....

Archie

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2002
Huntsville, AL
but I just saw this published elsewhere (6 days after our spring game)....from a story on Bryan Harsin and Auburn....and rebuilding a culture.....warning.....it sounds like we may not have had much of one....

"When new coaches take over, they often talk about changing the culture. For Harsin, that meant a shift in preparation coupled with an explanation of why the players need to be prepared better. That means showing up on time for meetings and showing up with a pen and a notebook. Everyone dresses the same in the weight room, Harsin says, not because he seeks uniformity but because he wants the players to make a conscious decision about coming together as a team. They wear the same uniforms for games; they should do the same as they prepare for games. “It really is defining everything,” Harsin said.

“We didn’t try to overcomplicate it but you say, ‘These are the important things.’ Then, as you get better at the important things, you can detail them. And I think there’s a lot of separation in those details. You understand what it means to be on time. That’s what we do. But now you’re on time, your book is out and you’re ready for the meeting, ready to take notes. That’s the detail. That’s the minimum requirement, the expectation. But now you’re ready to get something out of it.

“We’re at the stage now where, right now, I’d say it’s probably 50-50. Some guys have figured it all out, and some are still just trying to show up on time. That’s why this is about every day. We can do something well for two or three days and we can absolutely have a disaster — five, six guys just don’t show up. Don’t show up. Where is your culture? Is it still solid or has it gone backwards? The culture piece is about expectations and behaviors. … To do that day-in and and day-out is the consistency piece. Are you disciplined enough to do that? Are you tough enough to do that? Do you believe in what we’re doing?”"

He may be faced with a Dye-like job in rebuilding....and I'll admit....I didn't originally think it was as bad as '81.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.