ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Storied "Rowdy"

BooRedTeam

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2010
Will air monday on sec network 6 central. cAUtion "LAMP" alert - Interesting to me for the fact that I trained with him the summer of 82 in Auburn after he decided to come out of retirement. We were fortunate to travel and compete in Italy that summer. His poster was plastered everywhere for the fact that he still held the world record in the 100 and 200 freestyle. The Italians on the street would shout Ruuudy! Following summer (83) both swam for Longhorn Aquatic in Austin for coach Richard Quick who had resign from the Auburn job the year before. US Nationals our 400 medly relay won while breaking the US Club National record. Rowdy swam freestyle leg, me breastroke while two UTexas boys swam fly and back leg. Huge treat for me and the two longhorns but no big deal for Gaines.

Rowdy was 4 years older than me but always treated me like a close friend which meant a lot to me. He was nice enough to invite me to move in with him and 2 other (ex swimmers) upperclassman the fall of 82. He graduated that fall. It was cool when the phone would ring and it was a dude from Sports Illustrated or Sporting News asking to speak with Rudy. Ended up being my favorite qtr while on the plain.

Great guy and great story. Looking forward going back 36years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.