ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: Vanderbilt's Clark Lea...

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea is now at the podium as Day 1 of the 2024 SEC Media Days concludes.

Stay tuned and refresh for all updates.

* Sankey says you need to check out what is going on around Vanderbilt's football stadium.

* Lea is a Nashville native. Finished his career at Vanderbilt. Has two degrees from Vanderbilt.

* Sankey says Lea's teams are known for discipline.

* Lea acknowledges the people of Houston who have been affected by the hurricane. Also acknowledges Monte Kiffin who passed away last week.

* "It's great to be in Dallas." - Pretty sure Sankey told him to say that

* CJ Taylor, Gunner Hansen and Langston Patterson are his representatives. "Patterson has bought into what we are trying to do."

* Vanderbilt fell short of their goal of competing in postseason play last year. Lea set out to learn more about Vanderbilt's shortcomings following last year. "What am I meant to learn from this adversity and how can we use it as a reflection point?"

* Changes including how they train. "It was clear we weren't developing physically." Led to the hire of Robert Steiner

* Second change is tactical system on offense and defense. Hired Tim Beck from New Mexico State (UH-OH HUGH!!!!)

* Lea decided to take over the role as defensive coordinator. Says it has helped him grow closer to the team.

* Also brought in Jerry Kill. Auburn is smoked against the Dores this year.

* Final change was basically getting into the transfer portal and having NIL. Roster transformation is how he phrased it. 53 players who weren't on the roster last year are now.

* He's so monotone.

* He's done with his opening. Questions now.

* Texas beat writer wants to know what the addition of Texas and Oklahoma does for the SEC. BLAH!

* OH yeah. Diego Pavia is now in a QB battle for the starting job at Vanderbilt. "Really excited to have him in black and gold."

* War Rapport guy asks about Lea saying this is the most fun he's had. Lea said it is because he has gotten back to teaching and coaching.

* What drew him to the New Mexico State braintrust? "I've always want to go to Las Cruces. I'm joking." Oh yeah! Talking bad about Las Cruces. Let's go Lea. Also, no one laughed.

* "I have always had respect for Jerry Kill. It's going beyond wins and losses. It's how he's done it." JUST SAY YOU WANT TO BE AUBURN!!!!!

* "My attention was really grabbed when they went into Auburn and was able to steal a game there." Mentions he probably watched that game from start to finish 9 times that week.

* Lea looks as comfortable as I would on a stage in front of 300 people. And by that I mean not comfortable at all.

* He goes for a joke again. It falls flat.

* Another question about Texas and Oklahoma. Mentions Vanderbilt has an 8-3-1 advantage in games against Texas. Longhorns go to Nashville this season.

* Question on what type of player works at Vanderbilt: "The type of player that works at Vanderbilt is the type of player that works at any of our peer institutions."

* "Choosing Vanderbilt gets better over time."

* Interesting schedule note: Vanderbilt TRAVELS to Georgia State this year. Intriguing.

That's it for Clark Lea.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.