ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: UK's Mark Stoops

Caleb Jones

All-American
Staff
Aug 10, 2021
twitter.com
Greg Sankey introduces Mark Stoops as the longest-tenured coach in the SEC. Stoops is entering his 12th season as the head coach of the Kentucky Wildcats.

MARK STOOPS

OU AND TEXAS JOINING THE SEC

"With Oklahoma and Texas joining our great conference, it just makes it that much stronger."

STOOPS IS EXCITED ABOUT HIS NEW OC, BUSH HAMDAN
"Wouldn't be SEC media days without having to talk about a new offensive coordinator."

Feels like UK is "stable" defensively this year. Returns 10 starters from last season and is ready to "make a jump."

ON WANTING MORE
"We just want more. I think I talked about it last year. Where we're at, the margin for error, we have to make the best of every situation. We have been to eight straight bowl games. That's not nothing, but we want to improve. That's the message with the team. We gotta get better. We're not interested in just existing. We want to find a way to improve, use these rules to make that jump to get to the next level. It's extremely challenging. It takes us individually, personally, everybody every day to do the little things to get to the next point."

******QUESTION TIME*******

WHAT DO YOU LEARN ABOUT BROCK VANDAGRIFF?

"When Brock was in there, you just saw the way he operated...We've always been a pro-style offense...He could come in and handle our situation...We felt very good about him being able to handle everything we ask him to do."

ON BEING THE LONGEST-TENURED COACH IN THE SEC:
Says that it's not just an accomplishment for him, but for a lot of people. There's been a lot of programs that have been up and down in the SEC, but UK has found consistency.

"The consistency that you have to have in this league, it's difficult."

Also offers his condolences to Lane Kiffin on the passing of Monte Kiffin. Congratulates Nick Saban on his retirement.

WERE YOU OFFERED THE TEXAS A&M JOB? WERE YOU CLOSE TO TAKING IT?
"I was pursued pretty aggressively by them and we'll just leave it at that."

THE SEC HAS STEERED INTO THE OFFENSIVE GURUS FOR HC's. WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES OF BEING A DEFENSIVE GUY?
"I think it's challenging in this league and any league in general. Offenses are so creative...it's different. I always prided myself on being a great DB coach first and then a DC. I've been a head coach for 12 years. Offenses are different than when I was a DC...It's a great challenge."

ANY YOUNGER GUYS STEP UP ON THE DL?
Says they feel good about the depth along the DL, but it did take a slight hit in the spring.

"We feel like we have some depth and some guys are stepping up and working hard...We feel like we'll be alright."

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE DB POSITION?
Stoops feels like they have a little bit more depth this year.

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DEFENSE?
Likes the group, likes the leadership they returned (nine guys).

"Overall, we feel like it's a good group. You need the depth, it's a long season. You need some impact players...We feel very good about that."

THOUGHTS ON TWO SEC GAMES EARLY? THOUGHTS ON CALIPARI GOING TO ARKANSAS?
Says that it's not just coach speak, you gotta be ready for game one against Southern Miss. With the SEC games coming up so quick, you gotta be aware of how you handle camp.

and then on Calipari:

"I wish the best for him. He and I had a really good relationship for a long time. We're both big boys, we're both friends and I wish him nothing but the best."

TWO BYE WEEKS?
"It is what it is. I do look at it each year, how we prep, how we go about our business...I look at things every year and try to put our players in a position to be successful...Wanna make sure we balance the bye weeks as best we can."

That's all for the 16 head coaches on SEC Media Days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docdumpsta
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.