ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: UGA

Caleb Jones

All-American
Staff
Aug 10, 2021
twitter.com
KIRBY SMART

Starts by talking about how thankful he is to be in the SEC with his wife Marybeth, whom he just celebrated 18 years with.

"We are excited and honored to have spent nine of those 18 years in Athens, Georgia, where both of us were student-athletes. We got to spend that anniversary in the great city of Savannah at a Little League baseball game. You do what you have to do to spend time with your kids, and we certainly enjoy that."

QUESTIONS
UGA plays Alabama, Texas, Ole Miss and Kentucky on the road...

"Initially I was wondering how I got that draw, but we're not one to complain. We're one to be excited. I think when you step into the shoes of a University of Georgia football player, you accept that challenge is going to be there."

Says the team has embraced the challenge of not only the SEC, but also opening the season with Clemson.

Travaris Robinson just joined your staff.
"I've always recruited against him and had respect for him on the road, the way he carries himself, presents himself, the fact he worked for Coach Muschamp. Coach Muschamp vouched for him and talked about the great job he has done, and brought in a tremendous energy into our secondary, which is a young secondary, and he got the valuable time over with Coach Saban at Alabama, which is invaluable in terms of knowing how our program operates."

Potential for 16-17 games if UGA makes a run, does that impact your game plan for how long you keep guys in the game?
"I think every coach is reflecting right now, okay, we may have a longer schedule. We certainly have a tougher schedule. How we play games is play to win. How we play at the end of the game, if we have leads, we're always look to get guys opportunities and grow players like Carson Beck getting in a lot of games when he was behind Stetson so they're ready when their opportunity comes."

How do you navigate a world of NIL where players/recruits just want to get paid?
Says it's a mistake to assume that recruits have that as the primary objective. Says he doesn't get to the finish line of official visits if that's the primary objective.

"Is that one of the key decision makers? Yes. Should it be? Yes. I'm happy that these kids get an opportunity to improve their situation or make money and give back to their families or in some cases their communities. So that doesn't bother me at all. I have no problem navigating that. I've gotten less attached and said, you know what? If it's better for that young man because of a financial difference between us and another school, I respect that decision and opinion they have to make. I have to worry about the players we do get, okay? I worry about the ones that we do sign, that they're the right kind of kids and they're coming for the right reason. That includes money; but it's not just money."

UGA gets to play Texas this year. Do you consider them to be one of the best in the SEC?
"Every team we play is the best that week. Please understand that. In the SEC humility is a week away. I have a ton of respect for Sark and the job he does. Got to watch them play last year against several common opponents, got to watch them play in the playoffs. They have a tremendous recruiting base. They do a tremendous job in recruiting, that includes NIL and everything included in that. They're a big, physical team. They are built like an SEC football team, so looking forward to an opportunity to come play them. What a tremendous matchup it will be."

With two teams playing 17 games, what are your thoughts on abolishing conference championship games?
Says he is not for it. Loves playing in the SEC Championship game.

"The games we played in Atlanta have been some of the best, most memorable games that I've ever been a part of, and to take that away, I think there is teams that are going to look back at that SEC championship, and it's very meaningful, and I don't want to take away from that meaning."

Do your defenses react to evolving offenses or do evolving offenses react to your defenses?
Says that you always have to adjust and adapt. Try to create negative plays, especially with how explosive offenses have become.

"I do think looking forward and backwards is important. We have a relatively young defensive coordinator in Glenn Schumann. He spends more time on Zooms. He loves talking football. He spends time with NFL coaches, high school coaches. Some of the best ideas we have ever gotten defensively came from great high school minds in the state that we were coaching in because they came up with really innovative ideas because they defend these offenses sometimes before we do."
How do you expect the games between Alabama and Georgia to change now that it's Kalen DeBoer overseeing the program?
"I don't expect them to change. That is two great universities. You're talking about two teams that have been at the forefront of college football, and it's probably going to be that way for a long time.

Both great universities, both committed. The commitment to excellence at both places is really high. The standard that coach created there at Alabama and the standard we've created, those two are going to be matching up for a long time, and I think that's what is great about college athletics."

Young bucks that could play early?
"We got a couple kids that are gonna be able to help us out."

Named KJ Bolden specifically.
"He approaches every practice like a veteran. I'm excited about what KJ is gonna be able to do."

What's your message to your team?
"Just like we do every year. Attention to detail. We're gonna attack our camp the same way we always have. The first meeting we have, I will show them the playoff and how it works."

Wants to create some adversity in camp so that in-season, the team knows how to deal with it.

What he wants to see out of Carson Beck this season.
"Showing emotion and getting excited for the players...The composure in the Auburn game was incredible...They need to see that fire and grit sometimes too."

How has recruiting changed since you got in the SEC?
"The home base I get to recruit from, Georgia supplies a lot of great football players. The geographical footprint. The HS programs in Georgia are incredible."

Says the thing that's changed the most are NIL and the Portal, makes keeping kids in-state tougher.

"We have to keep our focus on our footprint."

CARSON BECK, QB
  • He's super excited for Georgia's big-time games this season.

Playing in Jacksonville vs. Florida:
"That game last year was probably my favorite game that I played in."

How close were you to signing with Florida?
"Florida was one of my top three schools. I was committed to Florida for baseball. I was definitely close."

Atmosphere in the Auburn game last season and the impact on him:
"That atmosphere is insane. It's absolutely ridiculous. I think it was a big growing moment, it was a big stepping stone...I think that game was a turning point in my season."

Biggest goal for the offseason?
Beck wants to improve his leadership role this season. He's got a year under his belt and wants to step into a more vocal role.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.