ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: Tennessee's Josh Heupel...

Caleb Jones

All-American
Staff
Aug 10, 2021
twitter.com
JOSH HEUPEL
Entering his fourth season with Tennessee, 27-12 record as head coach of the Volunteers.

He's extremely proud of where Tennessee is at not only just football wise, but academically.

Feels like Tennessee's strength will be on the line of scrimmage.

"I'm ready to compete with these guys on the grass."

"We got great renovations going on in Neyland Stadium. Our fanbase is extremely passionate and we'll be ready to kick off in a little over a month."

• Aug. 31 — Chattanooga
  • Sept. 7 — NC State
  • Sept. 14 — Kent State
  • Sept. 21 — @ Oklahoma
  • Oct. 5 — @ Arkansas
  • Oct. 12 — Florida
  • Oct. 19 — Alabama
  • Nov. 2 — Kentucky
  • Nov. 9 — Mississippi State
  • Nov. 16 — @ Georgia
  • Nov. 23 — UTEP
  • Nov. 30 — @ Vanderbilt

QUESTION TIME

What's it like to have Kalen DeBoer in the SEC?

They're both from South Dakota and have known each other for a while.

"Excited to have him in the league. Great person, great coach. Excited for the third Saturday in October."

Oklahoma is in the SEC now, what will it be like being back there?
"First time that I will have been back. It will be unique to be on the other sideline. There's so many great teammates, friends that will be there. I have great respect for the University, for the program. It will be unique to be back there."

Helmet communication?
"Most efficient, most effective way to communicate with someone on the field."

Likes how problems can be solved immediately.

Tell us about your latest QB, Nico Iamaleava
"He was highly recruited because of his athletic traits. Extremely accurate, loose, quick trigger arm. Ability to make plays with his feet. The thing that I've loved about Nico is when he came into the building, he wanted to earn the respect from his teammates...I'm really excited to see his growth and development as a young quarterback."

"He's only gonna continue to get better. We expect him to play at a very high level from the very beginning and we need that from him."

Has the portal made it easier or difficult to build your program?
"The portal has positives and negatives within your own roster. You gain some, you lose some. It's a little bit like JUCO recruiting used to be."

Says it's easier to plug in some positions of need.

Playing NC State in Charlotte Week 2. Talk about that?
"Every season is different. NC State's a really good program. They're a really good football team, that will be a big-time matchup."

Always a great venue. Fanbase is extremely passionate. Conference game early, that will be a big test.

Positives of NIL?
"I wish I had it when I was back in Oklahoma playing. I think for our players, in their lives, with their families, it's afforded them opportunities. You wanted to be a part of it and have an opportunity to use the game in a positive way for their families. It's a real positive."

There's a ton of growth in football, what about the people that are trying to kill the sport?
"This is the greatest game that there is. You look at the experience that young people have from 18-23. Their growth as a man. You learn how to set goals, you learn how to succeed, you learn how to fail...There's a lot of obstacles that we have to navigate...but I'm excited about the future of football."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.