ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: Missouri's Eli Drinkwitz

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz is set to take the stage on Day 2 of the 2024 SEC Media Days.

Follow along and refresh for updates.

* Sankey says it is Big Eight afternoon at media days with OU and Mizzou on the strange.

* Missouri beat Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl to finish 11-2 last season.

* Drinkwitz graduated magna cum laude from Arkansas Tech

* Drink starts by thanking the great state of Texas for the hospitality and then sends condolences to the Kiffin family.

* On Monte Kiffin: "He also raised two great sons." Okay, then.

* Drink just won me over by saying we need to nominate Mike Leach for the College Football Hall of Fame. It's getting dusty in my living room right now.

* "The Hall of Fame is incomplete without Mike Leach in it."

* Talking about last year's team. Second-highest APR in SEC. Sure, everyone loves to hear that.

* "We have to form our own identity this year. We have to understand what kind of poise it will take to execute under pressure."

* Tigers have 43 total additions to the roster this year.

* Mizzou has to replace both left tackle and left guard.

* Running back position has a lot of question marks after Schrader helped led the SEC in rushing last season. "We have the talent to successfully run the football."

* Corey Batoon is the new defensive coordinator. Defense wasn't as good as offense last year.

* Ok. He has phrases like Toughness Tuesday and Clean Up Thursday.

* Just ran through a list of names that will contribute on defense this year.

* "We have a lot left to prove to reach the consistency and level that we want. I understand there are outside expectations for our team."

* Now questions....

* Bob Holt with the first question. Asks about going from the hunters to the hunted. "I don't think it changes for us at all. Our mentality every single week is to compete."

* Mizzou has 22 players on the roster that have at least 12 starts in their career.

* Oh, and Workday Wednesday and Fast Friday!!!! I'm sensing a Bowden AUthentic!

* A&M writer asks about A&M. I'll pass on this.

* Question on what Batoon brings to the defense: "Obviously Batoon has come in and installed the defense for what it's been." I don't think he was ready for this question.

* A reporter opens by saying he and Drink were born in the same hospital and then his ties to Norman. Once again, passing on this one.

* Asked about what he is losing from the defensive coaches who left after last season. He wants to focus on what Batoon can do. Smart answer.

* Mizzou's defense is nicknamed the Death Row Defense.

* Brady Cook has earned the respect from everyone on the roster and coaches. "Brady has never had a bad day. He's gritty. There is no question about how mentally tough he is."

* Another question about the coaching staff.

* Oklahoma question. "Is there going to be an extra edge in that matchup against the Sooners?" Drinkwitz: "I don't think so."

* Another Oklahoma question. This about a transfer portal kid Cayden Green, OL.

* Mike Griffith from the AJC asking about Drink persevering through the hot seat. "The only person who had me on the hot seat was Dennis Dodd."

* Drink just called Missouri's capital Jeff City. I totally forgot that was the capital of the state.

* On losing Schrader and what he provided last year: "It's not about replacing production but replacing the person. How driven he was to be the best he could be."

That's it for Drinkwitz. He's off to do some 1040s and whatnot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.