ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: Arkansas coach Sam Pittman (7-18-24)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Hot seat or HOTTEST seat?

Sam Pittman is coming to the dais in relatively short order. Looked like a brilliant hire after the first season, but this fella's star has dimmed. Can he regain control of this situation? I'm skeptical. My thing is I want to see Travis Williams thrive because he's a great dude. Known him since he was an overlooked recruit out of Columbia, SC. The better player of the Williams twins, but Antarrious always will be better with a club on his hand.

He can play the piano and guitar.

He has a new puppy named "Latte." (OK?)

"We are very, very lucky and very, very fortunate to have Mr. Sankey as our leader."

He shares a story about Monte Kiffin. It's about Kiffin going to a high school game in Oklahoma that Pittman was playing for at the time. Grove (Okla.) High School. "I'll never forget that as long as I live."

He also wants to talk about Nick Saban. "When (he) showed interest in me, it changed our lives."

"Coach Saban is the GOAT. He's someone our league is going to miss dearly."

He talks about his three Arkansas players who are here with Pittman in Dallas. (Nobody really cares.)

He mentions that Petrino is back at Arkansas as O.C. (Isn't that something? He's a jerk and his system kinda got outdated over the course of 20 years. I'd feel differently about him if he was nice, but he's not. He's definitely not that. Grumpy, entitled, brooding.)

"We've got to find a way to win the close games."

He goes through their schedule. (Blah blah blah)

He says they added 17 high school kids and 22 through the portal.

"We know our fans deserve a team that competes at the highest level. We're committed to making that happen."

"Our focus is to embrace the hog. We need to be tough, we need to be together, we need to be consistent and accountable and do it with pride."

"We're going to rise to the challenge."

******QUESTION TIME******
Q on playing their first five games in five different stadia.
"As long as we are involved in the game in Dallas and the game in Little Rock, we're going to have home games that are away from our university. We had a stretch in there ... where we had three home games on the schedule and we played in Razorback Stadium in one of them. We're going to try to embrace that."

Q on playing the Texas Longhorns.
"We hadn't played Texas for years — then we played them a couple years back (and) it was the most excited our fan base has been in a while. I'm glad that we're going to play them at home again. I don't know if that's fair because they came there two years ago. It's an early-morning game."

Q on the expanded playoffs for a team like Arkansas.
"I think it gives us life. I think you're going to see some better football toward the end of the season. You're going to see some two-loss teams (trying to) get into the playoffs. (This) is going to make a big, significant improvement to college football."

Q on how they're going to get better.
"Consistency, better game planning, we've got to be able to run the football. I really like this team. I really do."

Q on why they're having trouble on the OL since Pittman is an OL guru.
"Talent-wise, we had to do better recruiting. We've got to get better. We had to go out and get two tackles."

Q on Arkansas adding 22 players out of the portal. Isn't that a lot?
"Our goal every year (for HS kids) is to get to 20. We didn't get there." (Mentions that they just used the portal to fill holes they didn't fill with HS kids.)

Q on playoff structure if it hurts the SEC Championship.
"I'd like to get to the damn SEC Championship game. That's what I'd like to do. I don't want to see that game go away."

Q on Arkansas' recruiting now that Texas is in the league. Arkansas gets a lot of Texas kids.
"There are so many kids down here who can play. If you look at our state, we just don't have a populated state. ($1 to @War Eagle Girl) We may have anywhere from 6 to 8 kids that can play football in the SEC. You come into Dallas, you get ... probably 50 SEC players?"

Q on Petrino and getting along with him better than what happened at A&M.
"I would want to work for me. I would want to work with me — as an offensive coordinator. Because I'm going to let you go get 'em. We've given him the freedom to go score points."

Q on having Petrino back.
"He likes the Hogs, he loves to win, he loves to score points. It's like a security blanket — I've got Bobby there that I can run things off of. I'll ask him a question and I want their opinion. They knnow it. We'll agree on it or we won't, but we're both grown men. If we do, we do. If we don't, we don't. Then we move on down the road. I do make him talk to me a lot."

Q on T-Will and how much he likes (aggressive) Bandit/Cover-0 coverage.
"Travis did a wonderful job for us last year. But I don't want to handcuff him either. I do think we're a little better at corner and a little bit better at safety spot to be able to Cover-0 ... so we can do that."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.