ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Quick notes from Pearl

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
• Dunans will be good to go Tuesday. No additional details provided for what was going on Saturday.

• Pearl doesn’t want to discuss the plan to “replace” Danjel Purifoy.

• Pearl doesn’t want to discuss how long Purifoy will be out. He thinks that information may give opponents an advantage.

• They will be looking for Austin Wiley more on the scoring end moving forward.

• Pearl is very complimentary of Ronnie Johnson’s play against Ole Miss.

• He thinks Bryce Brown is capable of shooting and defense. “I’m a huge Bryce Brown fan. I’m a believer. It’s there. It’s definitely there, but he has not played as well this year as I thought he would — or as he will.”

• He says he can’t play Johnson and Harper together because it would knock someone out of the rotation at wing, which is very much not OK.

• “I don’t think we’re a bad team.”

• “Our locker room is great. I’m very, very proud of that. We’re disappointed; we have to own up to that. Our locker room is tremendous considering what we’ve been through.”

• He feels like a middle-of-the-pack finish in the SEC remains “realistic.”

• On what he tells freshmen and sophomores: “What we’re going through now is painful. What are you going to do about it? How are we going to change by this pain?”

• “This is a very talented team. There are a lot of pieces. It’s the youngest team I’ve ever coached — by years. This team is close and I think that’s going to keep us together. The inexperience shows up more in crush time and on the defensive end because of all there is to learn.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News