ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Big News (Sports/ Covid)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

If someone's asymptomatic, doesn't that mean they've already been tested and have/had the rona but isn't sick? I get more confused every day with this crap.

edit: I missed the "ended their recommendation" part. Never mind & carry on

Reactions: orientalthunder
You back to not trusting them when it doesn't fit yours?

I'm not in this fight, I just always think that line of argument is funny.

I certainly wasn't tossing them under the bus, nor do I disagree. However, if I wanted to use the same "COVID's gonna go away after Nov 3" comment I've seen here numerous times, I could argue that the CDC is finally bowing to Trump's push that we should test less.

But, I'm not saying that. I could. But, I'm not. :)

If someone's asymptomatic, doesn't that mean they've already been tested and have/had the rona but isn't sick? I get more confused every day with this crap.
I think what they're saying is if you have been around someone that received a positive test there's no need for you to get tested as well, unless you're showing symptoms. Before they recommended that if you were around someone that tested positive, you should also get tested. Does that make sense?

You could have been tested or maybe not. Prior to this, the CDC was recommending everyone get tested even if you weren't sick, because you might be asymptomatic and not know it and spread the virus.

Now they are saying if you've been around someone sick but you feel fine, don't worry about it

A lot of people have been saying for awhile now that asymptomatic people have such low viral loads that they would be hard pressed to spread it

I think what they're saying is if you have been around someone that received a positive test there's no need for you to get tested as well, unless you're showing symptoms. Before they recommended that if you were around someone that tested positive, you should also get tested. Does that make sense?
Yeah, I think I got it now. I'd take football being cancelled for the season right now if all of this would go away tomorrow and nobody ever wears a mask again. (except for Halloween obviously)

You could have been tested or maybe not. Prior to this, the CDC was recommending everyone get tested even if you weren't sick, because you might be asymptomatic and not know it and spread the virus.

Now they are saying if you've been around someone sick but you feel fine, don't worry about it

A lot of people have been saying for awhile now that asymptomatic people have such low viral loads that they would be hard pressed to spread it
I gotcha. I never understood the point of getting tested if you felt fine. I guess there's the spread factor...I don't know. At least this is finally some good news for a change (until CNN starts to spinning it in another direction)

Reactions: DavistonTiger
Whichever side you're on, this means the CDC can't be trusted. First they say something supporting the maskers. Now, this supports the non-maskers. I personally am a non-masker.

If this is the CDC's current position, then this whole mask mandate is BS. Before COVID, no asymptomatic people ever wore masks. Asymptomatic people wouldn't go get tested just for the heck of it and employers wouldn't require it.

The CDC can't be trusted. It's a political organization now. Use your common sense. Your whole life, you never got tested for being healthy and you didn't live your life in fear. COVID has a 97% survival rate. I believe it's actually higher.

Over 30,000 americans died from flu last season. We never had mask mandates then. I guess dying from the flu isn't that important.

This isn’t the news Clay Travis was hoping it is. CDC still recommends a 14 day quarantine from last day of contact for those with close contact exposure (w/in 6 ft) to COVID + person for 15 min or longer. They are only trying to preserve testing. Doesn’t help sports in the slightest, IMO.

Possibly this will make the %postive #s go up artificially, too.

Reactions: LANDINGSTRIP11
Last one I can think of was 2009. H1N1 infected over 60 million Americans. Don't remember a mask mandate then. Pretty sure there were no shut downs either

Fair. The difference is that COVID is new. H1N1 wasn't. COVID has killed ~800,000 people worldwide in seven months. H1N1 only had ~18,000 lab-confirmed deaths (but, probably 200,000-300,000 in 19 months).

To suggest that we shouldn't wear masks now because we didn't wear masks then discounts the unique risks posed by COVID.

Yeah, I think I got it now. I'd take football being cancelled for the season right now if all of this would go away tomorrow and nobody ever wears a mask again. (except for Halloween obviously)

It will go away and we won't have to wear masks at some point. Probably will just take longer than any of us want it to.

Fair. The difference is that COVID is new. H1N1 wasn't. COVID has killed ~800,000 people worldwide in seven months. H1N1 only had ~18,000 lab-confirmed deaths (but, probably 200,000-300,000 in 19 months).

To suggest that we shouldn't wear masks now because we didn't wear masks then discounts the unique risks posed by COVID.
18,000 deaths isn't mask worthy? I bet those 18,000 Americans would say different

Reactions: jpsigmanu1
Imagine a society where the govt mandates you to wear a mask even though you have zero symptoms of being sick. This same govt is also releasing hardcore criminals from prison and giving out citations to gym owners (New Jersey) and barbers (Michigan) for going to work

If you look into the "why" details of the change it is because of concerns with testing capacity per the ADPH explanation. They also are still recommending asymptomatic close contact to a positive individual to quarantine for 14 days, close contact defined as within 6 ft for 15 minutes total in 24 hours.

Imagine a society where the govt mandates you to wear a mask even though you have zero symptoms of being sick. This same govt is also releasing hardcore criminals from prison and giving out citations to gym owners (New Jersey) and barbers (Michigan) for going to work

Tennessee gyms have been open and there is not a single cluster originating from a gym anywhere in the state. If the government really wanted to mandate something effective, it would encourage Americans to stop being morbidly obese (part of our death rate problems) and go to the gym instead of closing them. Cardiovascular shape is a great way to be minimally effected by the virus.

Last edited:

I had COVID and know that it is real. I don't think anyone is arguing that anymore. I wear a mask and was wearing a mask all the time when I tested positive and felt ill. I also totally agree with you that this pandemic, in the US especially, has highlighted how quickly giving up personal freedoms and fear can be used by our government to try and take control of our daily lives. There is a thin line between protecting our fellow man and protecting our families personal freedoms. I don't want the federal government to mandate anything, but we do have to fight this pandemic. Crazy times.

Tennessee gyms have been open and there is not a single cluster originating from a gym anywhere in the state. If the government really wanted to mandate something effective it, it would encourage Americans to stop being morbidly obese (part of our death rate problems) and go to the gym instead of closing them. Cardiovascular shape is a great way to be minimally effected by the virus.

This is such a good point. Obesity is an epidemic in this country and this virus is really highlighting that fact. I try and stay in pretty decent shape, eat right, etc. and I truly believe that by the good Lord's grace and that lifestyle COVID did not have as serious an effect on me as maybe it could have.

Reactions: W E A G L E
My whole argument about the guidelines and mandates ( which I follow religiously ) is the asymptomatic outlier. How do you guide or regulate something where a large portion of the group you are attempting to guide or regulate show no symptoms. Even if you are checking for fever at the door, you aren’t going to catch them. You have to go with showing signs and symptoms or you are basically chasing a ghost. @Korn6

My whole argument about the guidelines and mandates ( which I follow religiously ) is the asymptomatic outlier. How do you guide or regulate something where a large portion of the group you are attempting to guide or regulate show no symptoms. Even if you are checking for fever at the door, you aren’t going to catch them. You have to go with showing signs and symptoms or you are basically chasing a ghost. @Korn6
I just think that personal responsibility is the only way to go. Open up everything and have my girlfriend(and me) sit at home. Healthy people should live their lives. If an at risk person puts herself in harms way then that’s like walking through Baghdad at midnight. You get what you get. My girlfriends brother is careless so she has chosen not to see him in 5 months.

This is such a good point. Obesity is an epidemic in this country and this virus is really highlighting that fact. I try and stay in pretty decent shape, eat right, etc. and I truly believe that by the good Lord's grace and that lifestyle COVID did not have as serious an effect on me as maybe it could have.
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT