ADVERTISEMENT

Planning to attend Auburn/Bama game - tips?

Dec 20, 2012
Texas fan here -a friend and I pick 1 college game per year to go to outside of our own teams. This year planning to head to Auburn for the big one. Any hotel, tailgating, and other advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Boisgreat
If you haven't booked a hotel by now then good luck getting one. I recommend staying in Birmingham, Atlanta, or Montgomery and drive if it's a night game. Give yourself plenty of time before game to walk campus and take in the tailgating.

Texas fan here -a friend and I pick 1 college game per year to go to outside of our own teams. This year planning to head to Auburn for the big one. Any hotel, tailgating, and other advice is appreciated.
Go ahead and book an airbnb. It's a helluva a lot cheaper than a hotel room imo. My friends and I usually have a big tailgate on the field where mell hall used to stand. Come on buy and drink with us. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Boisgreat
Cargo shorts and Player jersey are your friends. A little face painting since it is a rivalry to support the team.

Reactions: AUNaughty7
May even have to smoke a Texas Brisket for that one. If they don't drink bourbon, they may want to stay in Tejas! If Gus has them rolling, that will be an epic day of tailgating...
IF Gus keeps his head out of his ass. Would be nice to have that '13 feeling again. With Gameday there again, all picking the turds to win

Reactions: Knotted Shorts
2nd the recommendation to do an AirBnB.

If you are planning on having your own tailgate spot, you will need to get to campus Friday afternoon and mark off your spot. I don't know the exact regulations around this these days but I usually have mine marked off at 3 pm. By this late in the season most everyone has established their regular spot but for big games it gets a bit more crowded.

Friday afternoon is also a good time to tour campus, check out the bookstore for some gameday gear, get a lemonade at Toomer's Drugs (this would be better on a hot day) and grab a sandwich and pitcher at the original Mama Goldberg's at Donahue and Magnolia.

If you are just planning on touring campus on Saturday and hopping between tailgates, you will find plenty of hospitality from the Auburn faithful. Unless our season has gone down the shitter, in which case the tailgating will be more sparse than you would expect, start later than you'd expect, and the talk will be of who our next coach will be and the drinking will be to numb the pain of what is about to happen.

Tiger Walk is a good experience as we like to claim the original and best pre-game walk to the stadium. It begins 2 hours before kickoff but you'll need to line up about 15-30 min before then (depending on the hype for the game) to get a decent spot. It begins at the intersection of Donahue and Samford and follows Donahue down into the stadium.

The eagle will fly 30 min prior to kickoff. My recommendation is after tiger walk make your way to your seat. The bleachers get tight and you'll want to reserve your ass space as well as take in some of the pre-game activities.

Of course, if we do win, Toomer's Corner will be a must see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT