ADVERTISEMENT

PGA is not caving to political demands...

warchief64

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
For the non-golf fans, every golf season culminates with the Tour Championship at East Lake CC in Atlanta and determines the season long Fed Ex Cup champion. It will remain there. You know their commissioner got the same calls/pressure that MLB’s Manfred got but didn’t cave.

There was also a movement to get The Masters moved but that was basically over the minute it started. There’s no Masters without Augusta National. Much easier to move the Tour Championship so kudos to them for standing their ground

giphy.gif

I seriously became a huge PGA fan. No kidding what the PGA did yesterday was bad ass
Wild guess but maybe it has something to do with their consumer base...and corporations and entities with a different customer base might make a different decision. Capitalism. Freedom. Right?

• Love
Reactions: Bassman
Everyone caves to political demands/influence. Sometimes they don't realize it, of course.

Wild guess but maybe it has something to do with their consumer base...and corporations and entities with a different customer base might make a different decision. Capitalism. Freedom. Right?
I wouldn’t think that there’s a helluva lot of difference between the viewer demographics of MLB and the PGA. Some people are cavers, some aren’t

Did anyone actually believe this would happen?
Moving the Masters? No way.
Moving the Tour Championship? Certainly possible if not probable given the current climate.

I don’t follow NASCAR but didn’t they enact some changes following the Bubba Wallace uproar? I know their leadership was scrambling like mofos

Didn't the PGA leave Trump courses? Was everyone upset about that? I honestly don't know, I don't watch or follow golf.

Moving the Masters? No way.
Moving the Tour Championship? Certainly possible if not probable given the current climate.

I don’t follow NASCAR but didn’t they enact some changes following the Bubba Wallace uproar? I know their leadership was scrambling like mofos

I think everyone forgets about this in a couple
of weeks and gets distracted by something else.

I wouldn’t think that there’s a helluva lot of difference between the viewer demographics of MLB and the PGA. Some people are cavers, some aren’t

It's the exact same customer base. LOL at the board weirdos pretending it's different. 😂

Reactions: warchief64
I think everyone forgets about this in a couple
of weeks and gets distracted by something else.
Yeah they moved something from South Carolina last year for similar reasons. Then they moved their outrage onto the next state when something new popped up.

There’s already talk of the all star game circling back to Atl in a few years

I don't think people realize that the PGA has virtually no autonomy over Augusta National and the Masters tournament. It's a sanctioned event, but the PGA has no rights to it.
That became apparent during the Martha Burke uproar over the lack of female membership. Sponsors pulled out with ZFG by Augusta National

There is zero evidence that businesses adopting woke hysteria have improved their value or bottom lines.

It is so far from a business decision that you might think only people completely unfamiliar with business would pretend that it is.

Golf is overwhelmingly caucasian; baseball not so much.
The PGA fanbase is about 10% black while MLB’s is about 15% black. MLB also has a little higher Hispanic/Latino makeup so MLB fans are less than 65% white while the PGA’s is almost 85% white. I’m not sure if any of that is overwhelming other than that Hispanics/Latinos don’t seem to follow golf too much.

Reactions: Rusty Strings
Golf is overwhelmingly caucasian; baseball not so much.
Um yeah it is.

Baseball has lamented the fact that it’s viewing audience has become older and whiter in the 2000s. Smaller as well. Younger viewers of the video game age strongly prefer the nonstop action of football and bball over baseball, which many consider boring. What other sport does that remind you of?

Not much difference in black viewership for MLB vs PGA. Sure it’s a little higher, but not the HUGE difference you stated

Reactions: alphatiger08
The PGA fanbase is about 10% black while MLB’s is about 15% black. MLB also has a little higher Hispanic/Latino makeup so MLB fans are less than 65% white while the PGA’s is almost 85% white. I’m not sure if any of that is overwhelming other than that Hispanics/Latinos don’t seem to follow golf too much.

Yeah, that's pretty significant. There are other significant demographical differences as well.

Please explain the difference. Both are overwhelmingly caucasian and enjoyed most by people who play/played the sport competitively
MLB has a HUGE Latino/Hispanic following in Texas/Arizona/California and in the Northeast. Also a larger viewing percentage among African-Americans (especially in the north) than PGA. Regionally, in the southeast near Atlanta, it’s actually a negligible difference except in African-American viewers which are skewed toward MLB.

Um yeah it is.

Baseball has lamented the fact that it’s viewing audience has become older and whiter in the 2000s. Smaller as well. Younger viewers of the video game age strongly prefer the nonstop action of football and bball over baseball, which many consider boring. What other sport does that remind you of?

Not much difference in black viewership for MLB vs PGA. Sure it’s a little higher, but not the HUGE difference you stated

Plenty large enough. But those aren't the only differences. The fan bases just aren't all that similar, and it goes way beyond racial disparities.

Plenty large enough. But those aren't the only differences. The fan bases just aren't all that similar, and it goes way beyond racial disparities.

maybe not for other mlb teams but the braves fanbase and golf fans are literally the same people and carbon copies of each other

Reactions: jslowery
That became apparent during the Martha Burke uproar over the lack of female membership. Sponsors pulled out with ZFG by Augusta National
That’s not exactly how I remember it. IIRC, the sponsors were catching grief, so the Masters made the decision to remove all/most sponsors in order to protect them. Of course they were all on board the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT