ADVERTISEMENT

Per facebook, Flanigan now official

I'll say it again, at the risk of being labeled "that guy", but this was a necessity for the coaching staff. bottom line, this team has gigantic holes to fill in for 2019-2020 season, we need to be recruiting like crazy for it, and it was going to be that much more difficult (still dealing with FBI aftermath, even if it is no longer impacting job security it is impacting recruiting) with an all white, predominantly Jewish coaching staff. negative recruiting central if that were going to hold place.

I wish it weren't that way - for all races, in all situations - but it is. the color of your skin or religious beliefs shouldn't impact your ability to attract talent to your basketball program, but it does. not to get too racial in the heightened racial climate we currently live in, but in this instance, hiring a qualified black man reaps more benefits than hiring a qualified white man.

and I'm not saying that you should hire someone based on the color of their skin (which would be racist, even if that racism is benefiting a minority). but if all else being equal, given the current make up of the Auburn basketball coaching staff and all qualified and eligible candidates, this was the correct hire.

I'll say it again, at the risk of being labeled "that guy", but this was a necessity for the coaching staff. bottom line, this team has gigantic holes to fill in for 2019-2020 season, we need to be recruiting like crazy for it, and it was going to be that much more difficult (still dealing with FBI aftermath, even if it is no longer impacting job security it is impacting recruiting) with an all white, predominantly Jewish coaching staff. negative recruiting central if that were going to hold place.

I wish it weren't that way - for all races, in all situations - but it is. the color of your skin or religious beliefs shouldn't impact your ability to attract talent to your basketball program, but it does. not to get too racial in the heightened racial climate we currently live in, but in this instance, hiring a qualified black man reaps more benefits than hiring a qualified white man.

and I'm not saying that you should hire someone based on the color of their skin (which would be racist, even if that racism is benefiting a minority). but if all else being equal, given the current make up of the Auburn basketball coaching staff and all qualified and eligible candidates, this was the correct hire.

Your post makes a lot of sense, and as you say, it would be nice if race and religion didn’t play a part. Sadly it does.

So, I guess Adler is also Jewish?

Reactions: auburn_stiles
Your post makes a lot of sense, and as you say, it would be nice if race and religion didn’t play a part. Sadly it does.

So, I guess Adler is also Jewish?
Adler is, Bruce was raised Jewish tho my understanding is he no longer practices (I'm not totally sure about that bc is very pro-Israel on Twitter especially Holocaust remembrance, Gaza Strip, etc.), not really sure on Steven

Adler is, Bruce was raised Jewish tho my understanding is he no longer practices (I'm not totally sure about that bc is very pro-Israel on Twitter especially Holocaust remembrance, Gaza Strip, etc.), not really sure on Steven
Yes—I’ve noticed his leanings (on Palestine/Isreal) on the twitters. He talks about attending Church of the Highlands and I imagine that there’s not much of a Jewish community in Auburn. But if I had to guess, he’s probably very much Jewish at his core but attends Protestant Church due to his wife.

Reactions: auburn_stiles
and I'm not saying that you should hire someone based on the color of their skin (which would be racist, even if that racism is benefiting a minority).
I agree with the gist of your post, but hiring someone based on their race is not racism. I’m not saying it’s right or it’s wrong; it’s just doesn’t meet the definition of “racism.” Words have meaning, and unfortunate we as a society have tolerated the dilution of the word racism by calling anything that has a racial component “racist.” The word is so frequently misused that it is losing its meaning.

Reactions: aubjapan01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT