ADVERTISEMENT

Peak Covid?

Creed Monster

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2002
In looking at the numbers over the last few days, trends have been coming off peak highs. For example:

Alabama peak hospitalizations: 3084
Alabama currently: 2716

Alabama peak positivity: ~44%
Alabama currently: 31%

It's not just Alabama ... across all regions, numbers are generally flat or declining over the last week as holiday gatherings have ended.

The numbers are still not great, and there remains, unfortunately, a lot of future death already baked in, but with the pace of vaccine roll out expanding and the holiday season behind us, we may actually be able to call "top" on this and will see things continually improve over the next few months. I certainly hope so. Also, you should still wear your damn mask.

Curious what folks like @mrhickory @jrodb24 @Auburn93 think about this.

In looking at the numbers over the last few days, trends have been coming off peak highs. For example:

It's not just Alabama ... across all regions, numbers are generally flat or declining over the last week as holiday gatherings have ended.

The numbers are still not great, and there remains, unfortunately, a lot of future death already baked in, but with the pace of vaccine roll out expanding and the holiday season behind us, we may actually be able to call "top" on this and will see things continually improve over the next few months. I certainly hope so. Also, you should still wear your damn mask.

I think you are correct. However, the ones in charge do not want us to realize that nor will they communicate it. Its all about keeping everyone "in check". And yes, I have lost 2 family members and several friends to covid.

our numbers were setting record highs every day over the last couple weeks. however, just glancing at census, we are down a little today. mind you, that simply means we’ve gone from being completely full and turning away transfers, to having a couple of beds here and there.

i’ll also tell you that our folks are really wanting to believe this is the last big wave. i tend to agree, but there are just too many unknowns for me to give a solid opinion on that.

our numbers were setting record highs every day over the last couple weeks. however, just glancing at census, we are down a little today. mind you, that simply means we’ve gone from being completely full and turning away transfers, to having a couple of beds here and there.

i’ll also tell you that our folks are really wanting to believe this is the last big wave. i tend to agree, but there are just too many unknowns for me to give a solid opinion on that.
The after Christmas surge was big in my area, but we've not seen a surge after New Years, which is hopeful. Statewide, we're seeing a decline. Hopefully with the vaccine slowly rolling out, especially in the elderly populations where cases were very high, we'll see a steady decline.

Hope your right. I agree with your assessment

So, it's following the pattern of all respiratory viruses throughout human history? Wow, that's shocking.

I really was hoping this time it was the masks and lockdowns that were making a difference. Oh well, I guess it's just virus gonna virus.

at first they told us to wash our hands and don't touch our face. So we did that. Now they say wear a mask. Ok, but people are now touching their face non-stop while adjusting their mask. SMDH.

Reactions: grizzlyadams16
I’m praying that the cases continue to drop, as many people recover from the virus as possible, and the vaccine/natural immunity can get our national health back under control very soon. It’s good to see a glimmer of hope as we move through mid-Winter.

Reactions: DM8 and OrigAUgirl
Our numbers are down slightly from the absurd levels we were seeing a couple weeks ago. It's still out there and in my opinion, it isn't going anywhere. My hope is that the vaccine can make a difference because masks and lockdowns aren't doing it. Me hoping the vaccine works and it actually working are two different things. Are all these variants going to alter vaccine effectiveness? Let's hope they don't.

Our numbers are down slightly from the absurd levels we were seeing a couple weeks ago. It's still out there and in my opinion, it isn't going anywhere. My hope is that the vaccine can make a difference because masks and lockdowns aren't doing it. Me hoping the vaccine works and it actually working are two different things. Are all these variants going to alter vaccine effectiveness? Let's hope they don't.
Everything I've read in the general news seems to point towards effectiveness on the new variants. That's just coming from an average citizen with no medical training.

Reactions: OrigAUgirl
Everything I've read in the general news seems to point towards effectiveness on the new variants. That's just coming from an average citizen with no medical training.
My wife got the first part of the vaccine this morning. No side effects so far other than an unexpected fluency in Mandarin, so things are truly looking up.

Are you in the group that refuses to take the vaccine?

True
And we need to get Powell back. With him at the 2. We can be a very solid team.

at first they told us to wash our hands and don't touch our face. So we did that. Now they say wear a mask. Ok, but people are now touching their face non-stop while adjusting their mask. SMDH.

We went to a restaurant this past Saturday. They did a really good job with distancing (they said they had 40 less chairs), but the server adjusted her mask about 50 times. Such is life.

We went to a restaurant this past Saturday. They did a really good job with distancing (they said they had 40 less chairs), but the server adjusted her mask about 50 times. Such is life.
but just think about how many lives you saved by wearing a mask for the 15 seconds it took while you walked to the table and the 15 seconds when you left for the door.

Reactions: LeotheTiger
So, it's following the pattern of all respiratory viruses throughout human history? Wow, that's shocking.

I really was hoping this time it was the masks and lockdowns that were making a difference. Oh well, I guess it's just virus gonna virus.
It is absolute amazing that you continue to comment on this topic after being belligerently wrong for so many months in your efforts to convince everyone that COVID was less deadly that the seasonal flu. 400k+ Americans have lost their lives. You should have the decency to admit you were wrong and stop desperately trying to downplay the crisis.

Deaths from flu = 24-62K

Lol yes you are. It’s more widespread, therefore more deadly.
Imagine wasting hundreds of hours of your life trying to convince people on a football message board to cower in the corner of their closets over a virus that will turn out to be no deadlier than the flu.
No.

Although you are more likely to die from the flu than the China Virus.
You're right, it's not the flu. Because you are much more likely to die from the flu than this.

Let's hope this is the final peak. The vaccine rollout has been terrible thus far though so that issue needs to be addressed quickly. @jrodb24 shared what he's seen on that front in terms of his hospital having to scramble to find people to vaccinate before doses expire.

These discussions are inherently political and trolly.

These discussions are inherently political and trolly.

I understand. It certainly was not my desire. Honestly, it's unfortunate people can't talk about the mechanics of COVID on the Bunker without it turning political, yet all the threads requesting prayer because of friends and family dying from it seem to do just fine.

No one cares to post shit in someone's death thread ... political fantasy doesn't look the same in the light of an actual loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT