ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 players want 50% of their sports revenues

who_called_the_Wolf

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2015
In my den
“Pac-12 players have organized a movement that is going to get them something. We don't know what they're going to get, but they will walk away with more than they came with because they're operating with the right blueprint.

On Sunday, a dozen Pac-12 football players released a unified statement in The Players' Tribune titled, "#WeAreUnited." In the statement, the players began by stating that NCAA sports "exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes."

The players demanded they receive safety precautions for the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, adequate testing for the virus, medical insurance for six years after eligibility ends, the ability to make money off of their names, images and likenesses, and 50% of each sport's total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.”

lol-duck.gif

."...And also disproportionately harm black college athletes.."
Better jump on the BLM/Antifa gravy train quick. Its already jumped the shark here in SD. Can imagine it fizzling out soon elsewhere too. In general, citizenry has grown sick and tired of it who aren't in high school.

So they want 50% of the revenue from that sport distributed to the athletes that play the sport? So hypothetically lets say they get this passed. Football players are getting more than anyone. A lot more. Men’s basketball is 2nd but it’s probably not that close (no idea on numbers and don’t want to look it up.) Most sports lose money so where do those athletes get paid? Am I misinterpreting the demand? Seems skewed heavily to football

Reactions: William_In_Texas
So they want 50% of the revenue from that sport distributed to the athletes that play the sport? So hypothetically lets say they get this passed. Football players are getting more than anyone. A lot more. Men’s basketball is 2nd but it’s probably not that close (no idea on numbers and don’t want to look it up.) Most sports lose money so where do those athletes get paid? Am I misinterpreting the demand? Seems skewed heavily to football
What would Title IX say about that?

Reactions: cowboy2224 and Q6AU

$392k per football player in the SEC...

https://www.mercurynews.com/pac-12-...revenue-sharing-extended-health-care-and-more

An accompanying study sets the fair market value of a single player for one season, broken down by conference.

ACC: $250,312 (per player)
Big 12: $346,323
Big ten: $412,099
Pac-12: $274,454
SEC: $392,534

(The authors of the study are Ramogi Huma, executive director or the National College Players Association, and Ellen J. Staurowsky, professor at Drexel University.)

Reactions: Ruxy Poo and Q6AU
College is incredibly expensive and athletes (football/basketball players) don't have to qualify for admission at the same academic level as the general school population. They will intern for some of the highest paying jobs in the country with great coaching, training and diet control. If they aren't good enough to play pro they'll have an opportunity to earn a degree at a prestigious university while being constantly pursued by gorgeous coeds. During this time they will make contacts that will help them throughout their lives and the prestige of playing and possibly graduating from one of these schools will pay dividends their entire lives. I wish my son was a good enough athlete to be exploited in the near future.

$392k per football player in the SEC...

https://www.mercurynews.com/pac-12-...revenue-sharing-extended-health-care-and-more

An accompanying study sets the fair market value of a single player for one season, broken down by conference.

ACC: $250,312 (per player)
Big 12: $346,323
Big ten: $412,099
Pac-12: $274,454
SEC: $392,534

(The authors of the study are Ramogi Huma, executive director or the National College Players Association, and Ellen J. Staurowsky, professor at Drexel University.)
Can’t imagine other athletes are gonna be thrilled with football players making so much more than them

I'm generally pro-player, but 50% is so far past ridiculous that it's tough to imagine a reasonable retort to that.
Per negotiation standards.. Good to start high.

Also likely that this is simply modeled after nfl, which is around 50%,no?

."...And also disproportionately harm black college athletes.."
Better jump on the BLM/Antifa gravy train quick. Its already jumped the shark here in SD. Can imagine it fizzling out soon elsewhere too. In general, citizenry has grown sick and tired of it who aren't in high school.
Frustrating as an Alum because you know that letter begging for money will be in your mailbox whether you blindly support Auburn Athletics or not..

Last edited:
Reactions: PocketWatch
“Pac-12 players have organized a movement that is going to get them something. We don't know what they're going to get, but they will walk away with more than they came with because they're operating with the right blueprint.

On Sunday, a dozen Pac-12 football players released a unified statement in The Players' Tribune titled, "#WeAreUnited." In the statement, the players began by stating that NCAA sports "exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes."

The players demanded they receive safety precautions for the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, adequate testing for the virus, medical insurance for six years after eligibility ends, the ability to make money off of their names, images and likenesses, and 50% of each sport's total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.”

My response to them would be: "No." That would be the end of the discussion.

Reactions: 94WDE

They misplaced the decimal .05 percent

Reactions: who_called_the_Wolf
Black Athletes want their part, who can blame them. Couple sprinkles want theirs too btw

You simply tell them to take their asses somewhere else.

Black Athletes want their part, who can blame them. Couple sprinkles want theirs too btw
I swear its taking a lot for me personally to be like trying to overlook what is happening. I literally was at a BLM/Antifa protest last weekend and heard things screamed into a megaphone to work up the crowd such as , "white people we want your neighborhood. White people we want your jobs. White people we want the power." Real talk not fake news. It makes me question a lot of what is going on around me. I'm inching not racing but inching towards dropping everything and focusing on securing, growing, and protecting my family's wealth and blocking everything else out.

I swear its taking a lot for me personally to be like trying to overlook what is happening. I literally was at a BLM/Antifa protest last weekend and heard things screamed into a megaphone to work up the crowd such as , "white people we want your neighborhood. White people we want your jobs. White people we want the power." Real talk not fake news. It makes me question a lot of what is going on around me. I'm inching not racing but inching towards dropping everything and focusing on securing, growing, and protecting my family's wealth and blocking everything else out.
This has NOTHING to do with the Pac-12 push. Antifa? WTH? You need a break.

Reactions: AUBK
Lebron makes $30 mil a year.

Dewanna Bonner is the top-paid WNBA player at $250k.

Tell me more.
Yes...... Haha.

The wnba makes a much smaller fraction of dollar as compared to the NBA. That's my point. NBA is 7.4 billion while wnba is 25mil...

Now you do NFL and NCAAF.

ADVERTISEMENT