ADVERTISEMENT

OT--Re: Kratom (update)

MattAU05

'FULL HOUSE' FAN
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Daphne, AL
We had a pretty good discussion about this when I posted the thread a couple of days ago (HERE IS A LINK if you need to catch up or have no clue what I'm talking about) , so I thought I would provide an update regarding what has gone on. First, here's a petition that I would ask you to sign, but only if you're an Alabama resident. Apparently members of the House do not like getting emails, phone calls, etc. from people out of state. They want to hear from constituents:

PETITION TO ENCOURAGE THE HOUSE TO VOTE NO ON SB226/HB175

Anyway, to the update.

Early Tuesday, things look pretty good. The bill needed to be heard in the House that day, or it was probably dead for the session. And if it passed the House as HB 175, it would still have to be passed in the Senate as SB 226. And the Senate didn't have it scheduled.

There were kratom advocates at the State House monitoring everything and talking to reps. With the filibuster and long discussion regarding impeachment procedures, it didn't look like HB 175 would come up for a vote. Then, all of a sudden, later afternoon Tuesday, the Senate entertained a motion to add SB 226 (the Senate version) to their calendar for a vote. It was quickly put in line, and when it came up for a vote there was no discussion or dissent. There wasn't even a roll call vote. It was passed without objection or amendment.

This means that the bill, as SB 226, was sent to the House to be considered by the House Health Committee.
Opponents of the bill hoped to stop it in committee, or have it come out of the committee amended (to prohibit retail sale or possession for those under 21). Many people (myself included) called and emailed committee members, and those at the State House indicated the members were listening and there was a positive response. It was scheduled for a committee meeting today, 4/28, so there was still more time to call, email and otherwise lobby. Or so it appeared. At some point late yesterday afternoon, when the bill's opponents had briefly stepped out, the Committee Chair quickly called a meeting and passed the bill out of committee. Again, this was done with little debate, and only one dissenting vote.

So now SB 226 is scheduled to be voted on next Tuesday in the House. Given how surreptitious the bills proponents, led by Barry Matson, have been, I don't have much hope that it will stopped or receive a reasonable amendment. Word is that Mike Ball, who spear-headed Leni's Law (allowed for possession of CBD oil, prescribed by a doctor, for debilitating medical conditions) will try to offer an amendment that would ban retail sales (the shots and extracts found in gas stations and head shops are the only real problem, and this would address that) and prohibit possession if you're under 21. But, again, things are looking grim. If this bill passes, good people will either become criminal overnight, or have to endure pain they had found a remedy to----or go back to large doses of dangerous synthetic opiates. You can see the fingerprints of big pharma and the rehab industry all over this bill and the zealous support for it among a few.

Maybe it is all coincidence, but it certainly seems like supporters of the bill, led by Barry Matson, have attempted to circumvent open, transparent government in attempting to get this bill passed. I hope you will take the few minutes it will take to sign the above-linked petition. And if you have any questions about the law or kratom in general, while I'm not an expert, I know people who are. So feel free to reply or PM me with any questions, and I'll figure out the answers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.