ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any iPhone technicians up in here?

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
As mentioned in the softball thread, my daughter's iPhone 6s is unhappy.

I am unsure how to approach our specific problem with the phone. I've already had the battery replaced and it still won't charge normally and won't hold a charge long at all.

I'd love some guidance from someone who knows these phones inside and out.

TIA.

I am unsure how to approach our specific problem with the phone. I've already had the battery replaced and it still won't charge normally and won't hold a charge long at all.

TIA.

This is a wide spread issue with the 6s's from what I've seen @Jay G. Tate . I've got one that was manufactured after the dates they claim are the problem phones and mine has issues too. I think it has to do with the software but I'm no phone guru

You've obviously tried different lightening cables and different chargers--because you're a smart dude.

Since you've replaced the battery, I wonder if it could possibly be a software issue. One thing I'd try is to erase and restore--setting it up as a new phone (after backing up to iCloud, of course).

If it works fine after being restored to factory settings, then it's clearly an app or something else in her settings/configuration that's wonky.

But could also be something else hardware.

You've obviously tried different lightening cables and different chargers--because you're a smart dude.

Since you've replaced the battery, I wonder if it could possibly be a software issue. One thing I'd try is to erase and restore--setting it up as a new phone (after backing up to iCloud, of course).

If it works fine after being restored to factory settings, then it's clearly an app or something else in her settings/configuration that's wonky.

But could also be something else hardware.
I did a dang DFU reset. I feel like that as serious as I can get in terms of software/firmware.

Even when the phone was completely wiped and free of all non-Apple apps ... it still couldn't remain charged for more than an hour. Flippin' bizarre!

Mine does the same @Jay G. Tate - I got so sick of having to charge it all the time, and repeatedly going to Verizon and them doing nothing, that I bought one of the charging cases. Brand of the case I bought is OMAKER, I got it for pretty cheap on Amazon about a year ago. Well worth the investment. I couldn't go to a football game or work or really do anything for a few hours without my phone going dead. It also has a habit of jumping from about 40% charged to dead with no warning. Definitely a pain in the ass, but having a case that can charge it lets me go for a full day with no problems most of the time....

Reactions: Jay G. Tate
Android is the answer. Your welcome. My iPhone was good for about 5 hours with very little use and 2 hours with average use. Got sick of it and went Android. Once you go Android you want go back.

Reactions: AUDUckhunter
I did a dang DFU reset. I feel like that as serious as I can get in terms of software/firmware.

Even when the phone was completely wiped and free of all non-Apple apps ... it still couldn't remain charged for more than an hour. Flippin' bizarre!

It could be something as simple as the charging port being clogged with lint--from pockets, for example. Or maybe the contacts in the port are somehow damaged.

Either way, it seems as though you've tried just about everything. As the other poster mentioned, you can see if it's one of the "lemons." Maybe you can get relief from Apple, if it is one of those bad phones.

Android is the answer. Your welcome.

2eb5491a1c310f792843c9162cc0c093.gif

Stupid question I know, but is everything updated? Mine and my daughter's was losing battery rapidly and we were missing an update. After the update the issue corrected.

This happened to my iPhone 6s. Was working great with no problems and then all of a sudden I would get out of work and it would be at 30% without even touching it. Took it to Verizon and they did some diagnostic tests on it and determined it was a software issue and had a refurbished one mailed to me.

Reactions: Jay G. Tate

TIA.
I'm not a Genius, but I do get moist from time to time. My 6s had the same issue and they replaced it at the Apple Store due to a software issue. I have since gone to the 7 and have never had an issue, but the 6s they sent me as a replacement worked fine as well. Not much help I guess, but I'm glad I could work moist into my reply.

I had one do the same thing. When they tested it they found it was in a perpetual state of rebooting. In an hour of it being plugged into their machine it tried to reboot close to 1000 times. My battery would go from 60% to dead. Plug it in and it would come back at 70% or higher. Then it would start all over. They gave me a different phone

1. Make sure the phone is updated.
2. Try a different charger and socket.
3. Go to an Apple Store. They can probably figure it out.

If the above do not work, nor a reset, you could try putting in a new charging port. They probably run about $15 to $25 for the part.

I hate to bring bad news, but it could be hardware. My motherboard started going out on my 6 and would not hold a charge.

Good luck. Whatever you do, don't take it to one of the places in a mall. Some of the people that work at those kiosks/stores are pretty good. But there is a good chance you will get someone that is eager to rip you phone open with little experience.

Old people like iPhones.
You take that back, sonny! I had a coupla those dang Iphones and they didn't have the capabilities I needed. Plus the battery issues. I'll never go back to the Apple platform. Teenagers and the young crew love those fruity phones. Ouldes like a more business like platform.

My family besides me has Iphones and all they do is complain about how they freeze up, don't hold battery, you name it. I have a Samsung and it rocks. Never have issues and I use my phone way more than they do. In our house we call it the crapple.

Android is the answer. Your welcome. My iPhone was good for about 5 hours with very little use and 2 hours with average use. Got sick of it and went Android. Once you go Android you want go back.

I did the same. Went to the Galaxy S5 - everyone makes a huge deal out of switching, but with the exception of that creation of the Devil iMessenger it was pretty seamless. On an S7 Edge now and it's without a doubt the best phone I've ever used. Can't wait to see what the S8 and 8+ look like later this week.

TIA.
My wife's phone had the same issue. There was a bad run of batteries for 6s. Once Apple replaced the battery it cleared up, I would take it back to an Apple Store and say try again.

Link with info from Apple: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT