ADVERTISEMENT

Omicron question for @mrhickory

03Tiger

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2003
Any chance Omicron could be a good thing? If its transmissibility is off the charts, but its virulence is pretty minor, and if its antibodies provide protection against other variants, seems like it could help in the long run.

Any chance Omicron could be a good thing? If its transmissibility is off the charts, but its virulence is pretty minor, and if its antibodies provide protection against other variants, seems like it could help in the long run.
That's what happened with SARS.

I’m interested to hear from @mrhickory on this as well as if he’s seeing better results at his hospital systems with this wave of cases? Are people generally less sick like they’re reporting in other countries?

I’m interested to hear from @mrhickory on this as well as if he’s seeing better results at his hospital systems with this wave of cases? Are people generally less sick like they’re reporting in other countries?

We saw a “pop” in our numbers a week or so ago going from 5 Covid patients to 12 but we were back at 4 Covid patients today (2 died yesterday). We have not seen any other increases in volume in the ER either over the last few weeks either. I think we will have a good picture over the next couple of weeks. It’s possible that one of our Covid deaths that came in the last week could have been omicron but we won’t have that data for another week or so from the state lab. Most of us are still assuming it was delta.

We did confirm 3 cases hospitalized with omicron but they were discharged fairly quickly and did not require ICU.

We saw a “pop” in our numbers a week or so ago going from 5 Covid patients to 12 but we were back at 4 Covid patients today (2 died yesterday). We have not seen any other increases in volume in the ER either over the last few weeks either. I think we will have a good picture over the next couple of weeks. It’s possible that one of our Covid deaths that came in the last week could have been omicron but we won’t have that data for another week or so from the state lab. Most of us are still assuming it was delta.

We did confirm 3 cases hospitalized with omicron but they were discharged fairly quickly and did not require ICU.
Thank you, sir! Hopefully the numbers remain low

Sorry I didn’t see this until today. Possibly. As long as the sheer volume of infection doesn’t overwhelm the system (if even a small percentage of those being seriously ill enough to require hospitalization-it could cause issues). Delta still only caused severe disease in a small percentage but we were overwhelmed by the high transmissibility and sheer numbers. We are very busy with influenza and other common respiratory illnesses which were not an issue last year (likely because of masking and distancing).

Quick update, our COVID census has went from 4 to 17 in the last week. But only one in the ICU currently. Hopefully we plateau in the next week coming off Christmas gatherings.
Thanks for the update, @mrhickory

Here’s to hoping that number dwindles soon. How do these numbers compare to the delta surge?

Reactions: stutsman23
Sorry I didn’t see this until today. Possibly. As long as the sheer volume of infection doesn’t overwhelm the system (if even a small percentage of those being seriously ill enough to require hospitalization-it could cause issues). Delta still only caused severe disease in a small percentage but we were overwhelmed by the high transmissibility and sheer numbers. We are very busy with influenza and other common respiratory illnesses which were not an issue last year (likely because of masking and distancing).
Or because the flu was being misdiagnosed as COVID. Hence the new pcr testing with the 3 panel test (covid, flu a, flu b). CDC all slipped up and said the previous testing could not “differentiate.”

Do doctors challenge anything anymore? Or are they just scared shitless they’ll be ostracized?

Or because the flu was being misdiagnosed as COVID. Hence the new pcr testing with the 3 panel test (covid, flu a, flu b). CDC all slipped up and said the previous testing could not “differentiate.”

Do doctors challenge anything anymore? Or are they just scared shitless they’ll be ostracized?
Are you a physician?

We have had respiratory PCR testing for many years prior to Covid. This has been checked with every patient presenting to the hospital with respiratory symptoms since the beginning of the pandemic. This distinguishes amongst roughly 25 different respiratory viruses (including influenza, parainfluenza, other coronaviruses, RSV, adenovirus, rhinovirus etc). There is also a separate influenza test checked and a separate Covid test checked. In hospitalized patients, we have known if a patient had Covid (vs any other infection) with greater than 99% accuracy for over 18 months now. This is important as that treatments are different for these viruses. It might be possible that the early initial tests (especially outpatient) were unable to distinguish from some other viruses (mostly coronaviruses). The hospitalized numbers are quite accurate and have been for more than 90% of the pandemic.

Also, as a side note, Covid acts differently than influenza including presentation, radiographically, in the organs it affects, etc. Most inpatient physicians are of the opinion that the difference in influenza and other viruses for this January to last was related to mask wearing/mandates and social distancing. While mask mandates might not prevent some of the transmission of Covid (because it acts almost as an airborne virus in addition to droplet), it did affect other viral transmission that are primarily droplet based (ie influenza).

Last edited:

We have had respiratory PCR testing for many years prior to Covid. This has been checked with every patient presenting to the hospital with respiratory symptoms since the beginning of the pandemic. This distinguishes amongst roughly 25 different respiratory viruses (including influenza, parainfluenza, other coronaviruses, RSV, adenovirus, rhinovirus etc). There is also a separate influenza test checked and a separate Covid test checked. In hospitalized patients, we have known if a patient had Covid (vs any other infection) with greater than 99% accuracy for over 18 months now. This is important as that treatments are different for these viruses. It might be possible that the early initial tests (especially outpatient) were unable to distinguish from some other viruses (mostly coronaviruses). The hospitalized numbers are quite accurate and have been for more than 90% of the pandemic.

Also, as a side note, Covid acts differently than influenza including presentation, radiographically, in the organs it affects, etc. Most inpatient physicians are of the opinion that the difference in influenza and other viruses for this January to last was related to mask wearing/mandates and social distancing. While mask mandates might not prevent some of the transmission of Covid (because it acts almost as an airborne virus in addition to droplet), it did affect other viral transmission that are primarily droplet based (ie influenza).
@autiger3234 that's why you should listen to doctors more than cable TV

I’m not stating what you did in hospitals. I would surely hope the proper battery of tests would be done once a patient is admitted.

I am stating facts that the flu all but disappeared. I also am stating facts that in July/August the CDC asked for testing agencies to use the new 3 panel test. They also stated that it did not “differentiate” the viruses. They did not go in depth as we all know this would be a very serious blackeye for the CDC, NIH, as well as the traitor Fauci.

I speak from experience when I went with symptoms of both COVID and the flu. The Vanderbilt Clinic I went to who administered thousands of tests over the last 21 months did not test me for Flu after I asked them to. Their explanation was that it would be treated the same way. This happened to many of my neighbors, my wife, and our children who were sick throughout the pandemic.

I would assert that the majority of testing comes from clinics, general physicians, and pop up labs. Not hospitals… if you’re getting tested at the hospital you’re probably past the point.

I try to use logic and common sense… we all know the word “science” has been manipulated.

• Haha
I’m not stating what you did in hospitals. I would surely hope the proper battery of tests would be done once a patient is admitted.

I am stating facts that the flu all but disappeared. I also am stating facts that in July/August the CDC asked for testing agencies to use the new 3 panel test. They also stated that it did not “differentiate” the viruses. They did not go in depth as we all know this would be a very serious blackeye for the CDC, NIH, as well as the traitor Fauci.

I speak from experience when I went with symptoms of both COVID and the flu. The Vanderbilt Clinic I went to who administered thousands of tests over the last 21 months did not test me for Flu after I asked them to. Their explanation was that it would be treated the same way. This happened to many of my neighbors, my wife, and our children who were sick throughout the pandemic.

I would assert that the majority of testing comes from clinics, general physicians, and pop up labs. Not hospitals… if you’re getting tested at the hospital you’re probably past the point.

I try to use logic and common sense… we all know the word “science” has been manipulated.
Lol. Full blown conspiracy theorists tries to argue with literal doctor.

This shit never gets old.

• Haha
Reactions: Rejects
Lol. Full blown conspiracy theorists tries to argue with literal doctor.

This shit never gets old.
You need to learn how to read. Nothing was a conspiracy. To be honest the flu disappearing is all theory as of right now… if you don’t see that then you’re not looking at all the facts. Your confirmation biased is coming out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT