ADVERTISEMENT

Older video of HUGH talking how he likes to create multiple “conflicts” for defenses

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
This video is RPO 101, and the appeal to me is not so much the basic scheme, but rather seeing how coherent, savvy, and articulate Hugh is about creating nearly impossible conflicts for defenses. He’s got a crisp grasp of the 3rd level chess moves he wants his QB to read and make.

Gus’s staple too often was the simpleton “predetermined” read, because he was so poor at developing his QB’s mind and ability to rapidly see the total defensive actions and reactions. And he had a simpleton route tree.

So what intrigues me most about tomorrow’s game is exactly what the Phillip Montgomery / Freeze 2023 hybrid of offense brings. You would figure the staple “lure” they’ll want to use is inside zone with our elite RBs and OL averaging 320 compared to 280
last year. Which means Thorne must be ready to check to the hitch screen (with TE blocking), stick screen, other patterns installed by PM this Fall, or (hold your nipples) the one on one covered WR with Fair, Burton, Shorter or Hooks blowing the top off.

Hugh has said he can’t stand staying with the run against numbers - he wants Thorne to take what they give; “go where they’re not”. But that implicitly means the “discomfort” of trusting his QB1 early to go to the pass, because you damn well better believe “Dr. Blitz” Don Brown is gonna sell out to slow our run game. That’s UMass’s only chance.

I am peaking early, it’s Friday! Fortunately, I don’t take a single snap tomorrow.

Gonna be high football IQ fun, and we appear to finally have a “real” offensive brain trust in the Loveliest Village!

E5

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News