ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Marshall needs to watch Jeremy Johnson start against Arkansas.

AuburnLegacy

All-American
Jan 23, 2003
First, let me say I will support whatever decision Gus makes.

But based on everything being reported--non of which is being disputed, I do not see how Nick Marshall starts against Arkansas. Nick is a good guy and all people make mistakes, but when you are the face of a franchise, you cannot make these kinds of missteps when you know you are under the microscope.

We have all kinds of weapons on the outside, an efficient running game, and veteran offensive line. Gus said JJ could start for most D1 programs. And by all accounts, he has exhibited nothing but high character during his time at Auburn. If he is indeed as good as advertised, then I believe he has earned the right to start and finish the SEC opener.

If you want to flame, flame away.

He can certainly do it if he's with the ones. He didn't look good in A Day game throwing to the twos and threes. This will be a long month for Mr Marshall.

What do you all think if Marshall starts against Arkansas anyway...despite his latest extracurricular activities?

I would think Nick needs to sit more than one game. You just can't make these kind of mistakes without penalty and bench time to think about it.

With that said I don't think J Johnson much of a drop off at QB. He has a better arm and more PT could be a blessing.

May be suspended for he first half of the Arky game if at all.

Don't you guys ever get tired of defending idiots and decisions by

coaches to grant these lawbreakers chance-after-chance-after chance? I am not only speaking of Auburn... also UGA, Bama, FSU and any other program where alumni are proud of their school's reputation and don't want rules bent just for the sake of winning.

Re: Don't you guys ever get tired of defending idiots and decisions by

No coach has ever been fired for having players in trouble w the po-po. Always remember that.

Re: Don't you guys ever get tired of defending idiots and decisions by

Originally posted by OneMoreDawg:
coaches to grant these lawbreakers chance-after-chance-after chance? I am not only speaking of Auburn... also UGA, Bama, FSU and any other program where alumni are proud of their school's reputation and don't want rules bent just for the sake of winning.
Couldn't care less what Georgia does. Keep your drug dealing basketball player. Your basketball program still wont win anything. Same thing goes for your football program

These things can't be "ignored". I'm happy that CGM pulled him off of media days, but I wouldn't have minded the media grilling him about his poor decision making (if this is the case). All of the NCAA scholarship athletes need to realize that they now serve as representatives of their schools and that their decisions (good or bad) reflect on their school as well. They should be held to a higher standard, as they are public figures now and their education (and potential ticket to future professional contracts) are being paid for by these schools. Don't blow the incredible opportunity you have in front of you. Yes, they are "kids" and we all made mistakes as kids, but not all of us were having our education "supported" by the school.

Smoking pot isn't a big deal to me. In fact, I find it mind boggling that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. Alcohol has killed many more people. However, the laws are what they are and Nick should have been smart enough to avoid any problems given his past. He definitely needs to be suspended imo

I expect him to miss at least one game. However it is not mandated by Auburn or the SEC that he should be suspended for a first offense. CGM will make the right decision when he sees fit.

If he sits for the Arkansas game, then why not sit him for the next one against San Jose State?

1. Sends a stronger message for the boosters.
2. Gives the backup more game time experience.
3. Takes almost as much risk for a loss as the Arksansas game alone.

ADVERTISEMENT