ADVERTISEMENT

N Word in Nascar

Status
Not open for further replies.
NASCAR is the worst. Remove all restrictions and let drivers drive the cars they want, then maybe I’ll tune in. They’d know what they’re singing up for at that point.

Reactions: Otis24 and NotAiO
Were any of the other players black? I’d assume they were all white, because nascar, but wouldn’t want to assume.

I listened to a short clip, and read someone describe it like a pivotal sequence in a war, but again, someone in nascar used a racial slur? And during a video game, which apparently as noted above it’s not uncommon in that setting? And said someone is pretty young, been successful for a long time and now worth $20 million?

The person who should be fired is whoever approved this at Nascar and didn’t have someone before every video game race thing say “hey, you can’t curse or use racial slurs on homophobic slurs or, you know, a lot of language which seems pretty common in some(most?) video game culture.”

Now what will actually be interesting, and possibly quite fascinating, is NASCAR’s declining fanbase’s reaction to this. Combined with ronaconomy, will it be a tipping point?

We think he had probably been drinking all day (because who hasn’t?) and probably didn’t even think twice about it. It just slipped out.

Reactions: Big Blue
We think he had probably been drinking all day (because who hasn’t?) and probably didn’t even think twice about it. It just slipped out.
Based on your comment about it being somewhat prevalent in the video game “space” and years ago it being prominent in the suburban white teen space (I don’t know where he’s from or if his age fits that), but sounds like this should have been expected by Nascar and whoever they partnered with.

Reactions: griffna
Based on your comment about it being somewhat prevalent in the video game “space” and years ago it being prominent in the suburban white teen space (I don’t know where he’s from or if his age fits that), but sounds like this should have been expected by Nascar and whoever they partnered with.

Obviously I don’t game, but I do read the comments that the bammer gets. Based on those, it’s used pretty often.

Reactions: PocketWatch
lol Randy Orton said this in the same setting a couple of months ago. He was also plastered out of his mind. I am suprised a organization like Nascar with their rep and all actually reacted like this. I guess they have experienced growth and all of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotAiO
lol Randy Orton said this in the same setting a couple of months ago and even the black wrestlers in WWE just laughed at him. He was also plastered out of his mind.
Link or video?

Has the script writer spoken out about why he chose that character to use that language in that state? And why for that reaction?

I notice he did *not* use what has been described in this thread as the hard “r”.

What does that mean?
I am just a country boy small town redneck. Not exactly the best authority on such subjects lol. Just passing the info along because I remember this getting some attention from a couple of months ago. BUT when you work for a company where your BOSS actually said THIS on t.v (albeit in character to his defense. but still......)....... Yah you probaly are not going to be stripped of your job haha.

Last edited:
I am just a country boy small town redneck. Not exactly the best authority on such subjects lol. Just passing the info along because I remember this getting some attention from a couple of months ago. BUT when you work for a company where your BOSS actually said THIS on t.v (albeit in character)....... Yah you probaly are not going to be stripped of your job haha.

So if it’s said as part of the script, then it’s acceptable because it’s art. That makes sense.

@MattAU05 how are we feeling about the lack of the hard “r” in the earlier clip?

Reactions: BruceGOATPearl
So if something is cringe worthy then it can’t be art?
d79.gif

Reactions: PocketWatch
It’s just my contention no word should hold that power and we as a society should find a way to strip it of that power.

Maybe I can never understand. But just going with the excuse “you will never understand” won’t lead to any epiphany either.
This is the some of the dumbest shit I will ever read in this board.

Well, that is the problem. Things don’t tend to slip out that aren’t already a part of your common usage or vocabulary. To me, this is an indicator that that word is a part of a lot of his normal conversation, or that of people he spends a lot of time with, which is just pretty mind-boggling.

Well, that is the problem. Things don’t tend to slip out that aren’t already a part of your common usage or vocabulary. To me, this is an indicator that that word is a part of a lot of his normal conversation, or that of people he spends a lot of time with, which is just pretty mind-boggling.

I don’t think most are using it in a true racist context when they’re saying in video games. They’re just being stupid. Some of the other stuff that is said in that context would even make the bunker blush and whomever said it would be permabanned. It’s like the Wild West. Not saying dude wasn’t dumb. It was definitely dumb and he definitely messed up.

Last edited:
I don’t think most are using it in a true racist context when they’re saying in video games. They’re just being stupid. Some of the other stuff that is said in that context would even make the bunker blush and whoever said it would be permabanned. It’s like the Wild West. Not saying dude wasn’t dumb. It was definitely dumb and he definitely messed up.
glad you said it first lol

The word is being used like "gay" was used for decades, 90% of the time its never used towards a black person, or if it is, its never used to degrade them, its used as a last option put down because they lost an argument.

Europeans are more common to use slurs or terms to degrade black people as a whole.

Im not saying I use the word or forgiving people that say it on the internet, but its very common in white internet culture, against some other random person on the internet, because its the most offensive word to say.

Reactions: griffna
Suspended indefinitely from 1) all NASCAR sanctioned events, 2) all iRacing events 3) Chip Ganassi Racing (without pay) as well as being dropped by his sponsor Credit One. Chevy also terminated their relationship with him.
Dodge has found their driver for 2021

glad you said it first lol

The word is being used like "gay" was used for decades, 90% of the time its never used towards a black person, or if it is, its never used to degrade them, its used as a last option put down because they lost an argument.

Europeans are more common to use slurs or terms to degrade black people as a whole.

Im not saying I use the word or forgiving people that say it on the internet, but its very common in white internet culture, against some other random person on the internet, because its the most offensive word to say.

Agreed. I’ve seen wayyyyy too many late night rounds of Rocket league.

he person who should be fired is whoever approved this at Nascar and didn’t have someone before every video game race thing say “hey, you can’t curse or use racial slurs on homophobic slurs or, you know, a lot of language which seems pretty common in some(most?) video game culture.”

Larson came out of NASCAR's Drive for Diversity Program. I promise you, he's had hours upon hours of classes over how you should present yourself and the things that you can and can't say.

Burn this man at the stake and ruin his career! I could forgive him if he just had kids and was absentee or if he slept around but saying that word should be a death warrant.

This idea that the N word is accepted in “video game culture” is not true at all. And maybe “accepted” isn’t what people ITT are saying. Is it said online by random people? Of course. I’m sure it’s said by random people off line all the time too, but there’s no mic to catch it.

But if anybody of significance, a streamer or pro gamer, is caught using a slur, it’s just as big of a deal as it is anywhere else.

But is it an insult to that group if they arnt black?
It seems to me the black community takes offense to the N word no matter the ethnicity of the speaker or to which group it is directed toward (with the exception being a black speaker).

But is it an insult to that group if they arnt black?
It's kind of like the new how you can't say the f word for gay people anymore. People used to call people a ferret at the time.

I mean if anyone understands the impact of that word, it’s a message board full of white guys
The dude who said we need to rethink how we use language? DAMN. Yeah, we'll send Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx home so we can talk about why Random White Dude on a message board should be allowed to sling racial epithets around.

This is an exceedingly dumb take. I can't believe someone took the time to type it out. @MrMcGillicutty

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT