ADVERTISEMENT

N Word in Nascar

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nascar driver playing a racing video game made me laugh. Is that practice or does he just love turning left?

JDPFkRP0zVV5dRqxYHISe5l7xODcZJmfcJB3V31gehjck6a83fYfQcqN_sFih6ONvCgonapaWqgbHHQ7U7MFjapTeICDqARfIwEpLlh_w3xAn3t4iPLph518m8Uqg0JCAEGYTWZCKANVZlIYN8CPMQ

Suspended indefinitely from 1) all NASCAR sanctioned events, 2) all iRacing events 3) Chip Ganassi Racing (without pay) as well as being dropped by his sponsor Credit One. Chevy also terminated their relationship with him.

McDonalds dropped him as well

A nascar driver playing a racing video game made me laugh. Is that practice or does he just love turning left?
Worse, it’s actually what NASCAR is broadcasting each Sunday during this period of no sports. Each of the drivers and some retired drivers are linked and racing live in the air by playing this game. set ups are kinda like this...
bb85780301a233752f6512865e482256.jpg

Worse, it’s actually what NASCAR is broadcasting each Sunday during this period of no sports. Each of the drivers and some retired drivers are linked and racing live in the air by playing this game. set ups are kinda like this...
bb85780301a233752f6512865e482256.jpg

most F1 teams use simulators like Iracing. I know I’m a nerd, but it’s more akin to training than a game. Although they do have fun doing it.

most F1 teams use simulators like Iracing. I know I’m a nerd, but it’s more akin to training than a game. Although they do have fun doing it.
Yeah, no question. Every NASCAR team has one as well. “A game” was definitely a short sell on what these things are. I think the cost about $30K.
There used to be a storefront in the mall in Hoover that had about 10 of them with car bodies built around them. You could drive them as automatic transmissions or manual if you could handle it. It was an absolute blast.

Yeah that’s bad. Real bad.

I do find it a bit interesting that there is word in the English language that we have assigned such power that the mere utterance of it in public justifies the end of your career and basically tags you the rest of your life. It’s kind of like a black “N” instead of a scarlet “A”. That not a judgement one way or the other, just an observation. I digress...

what is really hilarious is the pause and then his crew’s reaction. They knew he was toast right then and there.

Yeah that’s bad. Real bad.

I do find it a bit interesting that there is word in the English language that we have assigned such power that the mere utterance of it in public justifies the end of your career and basically tags you the rest of your life. It’s kind of like a black “N” instead of a scarlet “A”. That not a judgement one way or the other, just an observation. I digress...

what is really hilarious is the pause and then his crew’s reaction. They knew he was toast right then and there.

No word should have that power, and it shouldn’t effect different groups separately if everyone WANTS TO BE TREATED THE SAME...

Reactions: BruceGOATPearl
No word should have that power, and it shouldn’t effect different groups separately if everyone WANTS TO BE TREATED THE SAME...
Debatable whether a word should carry such power.
But don’t you think that the history tied to it, and the clear ties back to enslavement of one group, could make its use more offensive to them? That doesn’t seem to be a stretch to me.
The question is more one of how harshly should any person be punished for the use of offensive language?
In this case, where corporate sponsors are involved, does the market determine that?

Do you want every American Citizen treated the same despite religious, racial, and sexual identity? Is that something to aspire towards?
No offense but this is some dumb shvt right here.

This makes no sense. Everyone wanting to be treated equally has nothing to do with an insult directed at one specific group.

It’s just my contention no word should hold that power and we as a society should find a way to strip it of that power.

Maybe I can never understand. But just going with the excuse “you will never understand” won’t lead to any epiphany either.

Reactions: BruceGOATPearl
It’s just my contention no word should hold that power and we as a society should find a way to strip it of that power.

Maybe I can never understand. But just going with the excuse “you will never understand” won’t lead to any epiphany either.

I’m of the opinion that no man/woman should be worth ~$20 million if they are stupid enough to say that on a live broadcast. Nothing worse than stupid people getting rich.

Reactions: nugp33
Debatable whether a word should carry such power.
But don’t you think that the history tied to it, and the clear ties back to enslavement of one group, could make its use more offensive to them? That doesn’t seem to be a stretch to me.
The question is more one of how harshly should any person be punished for the use of offensive language?
In this case, where corporate sponsors are involved, does the market determine that?

Corporate sponsors can always do what they feel is in their best interest which means the interest of their bottom line.

I was more commenting on how that one word could be the most powerful, polarizing word in all of the English language. Is there another word that is considered more taboo? More awful? I can’t think of one.

As I said to another poster, maybe I can never understand...

I’m of the opinion that no man/woman should be worth ~$20 million if they are stupid enough to say that on a live broadcast. Nothing worse than stupid people getting rich.

There are some stupid people worth a whole lot more than that.

Intelligent people usually don’t get rich.

Were any of the other players black? I’d assume they were all white, because nascar, but wouldn’t want to assume.

I listened to a short clip, and read someone describe it like a pivotal sequence in a war, but again, someone in nascar used a racial slur? And during a video game, which apparently as noted above it’s not uncommon in that setting? And said someone is pretty young, been successful for a long time and now worth $20 million at a still young age?

The person who should be fired is whoever approved this at Nascar and didn’t have someone before every video game race thing say “hey, you can’t curse or use racial slurs on homophobic slurs or, you know, a lot of language which seems pretty common in some(most?) video game culture.”

Now what will actually be interesting, and possibly quite fascinating, is NASCAR’s declining fanbase’s reaction to this. Combined with ronaconomy, will it be a tipping point?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT