ADVERTISEMENT

More info on Matt Campbell...

graham bAyoU

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2006
I continue to believe Campbell is the best up-and-coming young coach in college football. After going 1-3 to begin the season with QB Zeb Noland, a redshirt sophomore, Campbell replaced him after one series in the OK State game with true freshman Brock Purdy. Purdy got the win in that game and has won every game he's started since, including a win over a top 10 West Virginia team led by Will Grier.

Noland was not heavily recruited by many major schools, but interestingly he did take a visit to bama and Texas A&M. All of the other schools he visited were lower tier. He was a 5.5 three star on Rivals. He chose ISU over Texas A&M.

Noland's numbers were not bad. 63% completion rate with four TD's and one pick. He wasn't winning, though and was no threat to run. Purdy has been a solid dual threat with around 250 yards rushing in the five games he's played and has completed almost 70% of his passes with 13 TD"s and only two int's. He also now has the third highest QB rating in college football behind Kyler Murray and Tua, and ahead of Grier. Pretty good company. Purdy is listed at 6'1" 203 pounds (I couldn't resist doing the Nix comparison).

This speaks to Campbell's ability to assess and develop QB's as well as not being afraid to make a change in an effort to put his best players on the field. Noland announced he will transfer. We saw a similar situation at Clemson and Dabo is clearly the second best coach in college football. ISU plays some defense too. Currently ranked 20th in the nation in team D. Campbell is doing all this at a place that would be equivalent to Vandy in the SEC.

I say dump our clown and sign him up. If we don't, a big player will come calling soon. This is the year we could take a hard look at the field of coaches with very little competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News