ADVERTISEMENT

More deaths than births

Status
Not open for further replies.
instead of spending all that money on your kids, and then hoping they dont turn out to be worthless and can actually take care of you in your old age, you could just save all that money for retirement/assisted living etc.
You are right, people could do that. Unfortunately people are not only failing to save for retirement, they are over leveraging themselves unlike any generation before them.

• Haha
Reactions: SigBitty
Young people aren't having kids because they can't afford it. It's pretty simple.
No. Most of my emplyees (mid 20s) will bitch about this kind of stuff with $1200 hand bags or cowboy boots on while spending $45 at starbucks a week and planning their next European vacation.

Our culture has just shifted to the hopelessly narcissistic. People just spend money as soon as they get it.

I had two. My wife wants one more, but I think two today is enough for me. I just feel a little regret that my oldest is so smart and my youngest seems he’ll be that way too, that I could be denying the world another intelligent and well behaved child.

I think we’ll be fine. People not having children they can afford or raise properly is a good thing. I just worry that the people with resources and education will continue to elect to not have them, while the opposite will have too many.

I’m sure Covid had the biggest impact on it though, even though it’s clear people want to have less children these days.

I had two. My wife wants one more, but I think two today is enough for me. I just feel a little regret that my oldest is so smart and my youngest seems he’ll be that way too, that I could be denying the world another intelligent and well behaved child.

I think we’ll be fine. People not having children they can afford or raise properly is a good thing. I just worry that the people with resources and education will continue to elect to not have them, while the opposite will have too many.

I’m sure Covid had the biggest impact on it though, even though it’s clear people want to have less children these days.

I honestly don’t see how people do it. With my work schedule, we’re lucky to eat dinner by 8:30 when it’s not tax season.

I can’t imagine coming in at 9:30 after a long day during tax season and putting a kid to bed. I guess there’s a reason that women with children don’t usually make partner until they’re a bit older.

I honestly don’t see how people do it. With my work schedule, we’re lucky to eat dinner by 8:30 when it’s not tax season.

I can’t imagine coming in at 9:30 after a long day during tax season and putting a kid to bed. I guess there’s a reason that women with children don’t usually make partner until they’re a bit older.
Yeah that’s why a think a lot of people are waiting later or never having them, too. Imagine trying to have a career such as yours and be there for the children. It’s not easy. My wife technically doesn’t work. I say technically, because I’ll have her help out at the business as needed. But mostly she’s a homemaker, so that does help.

I like being able to provide my kids with all of the best resources. So I hesitate on another one. Probably the biggest hesitation is our age. We’re too damn old lol.

2 is enough.

Yeah that’s why a think a lot of people are waiting later or never having them, too. Imagine trying to have a career such as yours and be there for the children. It’s not easy. My wife technically doesn’t work. I say technically, because I’ll have her help out at the business as needed. But mostly she’s a homemaker, so that does help.

I like being able to provide my kids with all of the best resources. So I hesitate on another one. Probably the biggest hesitation is our age. We’re too damn old lol.

2 is enough.

I’m getting up there too, haha. Busy season extends a month or so every year. Pretty soon it’s going to be all year long.

Reactions: AU_Panther
You seem to be a very binary person who like to put things in specific buckets with little flexibility. The world doesn’t work that way.

By your logic, your grandfather was a horrible parent to your mother and that seems to fly right past you.
The world mostly works that way.

No. Most of my emplyees (mid 20s) will bitch about this kind of stuff with $1200 hand bags or cowboy boots on while spending $45 at starbucks a week and planning their next European vacation.

Our culture has just shifted to the hopelessly narcissistic. People just spend money as soon as they get it.
jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

Reactions: SigBitty
It is a sign that the society is in a state of decline.... bodes poorly for the future - it is kids that buy/need 'stuff' and provide demand for much of what the economy produces. Their labors are used to grow and expand the economy, without such - there can be no growth. Also, with SS and many pension plans - there will be no one paying into them, is why SS will fail and young workers today won't see it, or much of it. They can also expect higher taxes to pay for the older generations needs/infrastructure/bloated gov't.

Reactions: Ontovictory
It is a sign that the society is in a state of decline.... bodes poorly for the future - it is kids that buy/need 'stuff' and provide demand for much of what the economy produces. Their labors are used to grow and expand the economy, without such - there can be no growth. Also, with SS and many pension plans - there will be no one paying into them, is why SS will fail and young workers today won't see it, or much of it. They can also expect higher taxes to pay for the older generations needs/infrastructure/bloated gov't.
I model dependent on perpetual growth is not sustainable.

I saw it in the theater when it came out and left a bit disappointed. I rewatched part of it a couple month's ago, and I realized just how prescient it was. Mike Judge is fricking Nostradamus.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it more watching it in the last few years than watching it originally.

I don't know about the handbags or Euro trips, but the Starbucks thing is real.

Who tf pays $8 for a drink without liquor in it?
The worst Starbucks abusers I know are the Karen Facebook professional complainer types. I like Starbucks and I live five minutes away from one but I only go once or twice a month and only to get breakfast.

Please. Having kids ain't that expensive once you get past the childcare stage.
Maybe so...if they're hermits. I have two boys middle and high school and have spent lord knows how much on athletics and other interests. Literally every day it's "dad I need $20 for whatever." And that's just daily spending money

Oh? It's played a part since 1973. There'd be roughly 70 million more people in this country. But, what is the real reason? I'm genuinely curious.
I mean, contraception works as much as you want it to
We'd have elventy billion more people if nobody pulled out PAWL...

And don't get me started on all those potential lives wasted on blowies

• Haha
Reactions: vanceme
Maybe so...if they're hermits. I have two boys middle and high school and have spent lord knows how much on athletics and other interests. Literally every day it's "dad I need $20 for whatever." And that's just daily spending money
My parents didn't give me spending money. I started working when I was 14 on Saturdays. I worked at Sonic when I turned 16. Rarely asked my parents for money after that. (They wouldn't give it to me anyways)
If I needed clothes they would take me to JC Penny. If I wanted a Polo shirt, (or Tommy Hilfiger) I had to buy it myself.

My parents didn't give me spending money. I started working when I was 14 on Saturdays. I worked at Sonic when I turned 16. Rarely asked my parents for money after that. (They wouldn't give it to me anyways)
If I needed clothes they would take me to JC Penny. If I wanted a Polo shirt, (or Tommy Hilfiger) I had to buy it myself.
So did I, in the summers. I was a 3 sport athlete so I couldn't work during the schoolyear. Neither can my kids. And their practice schedules are more intense than ours were. Especially baseball, that's like a frickin job in it's own right

Reactions: stutsman23
So did I, in the summers. I was a 3 sport athlete so I couldn't work during the schoolyear. Neither can my kids. And their practice schedules are more intense than ours were. Especially baseball, that's like a frickin job in it's own right
Yeah, I played sports too. But I quit when I realized I liked having money in my pocket better than sweating my @ss off on the football/soccer field. I worked so much I was able to buy my own Ford Explorer at 18. Wear nice shoes and clothes too. Only thing my parents paid was my college tuition. (I'm very grateful) I was in the minority with that. Just about everyone I knew at Auburn was paying for their college thru student loans.

Shit, I took one of my dads friends kids to a Braves game because they were in ATL for a wedding, even without beer it was 5x more expensive than a typical trip to a Braves game. Those fvckers can eat, and they want to buy everything and play games and shit. Lolz at the idea that kids aren’t expensive. Ain’t saying they aren’t worth it, but they definitely aren’t cheap.

Travel baseball and tennis and shit like that is basically a vacation every weekend too. It’s ridiculous

Reactions: warchief64
We'd have elventy billion more people if nobody pulled out PAWL...

And don't get me started on all those potential lives wasted on blowies
Ok now that is some quality bunkering there.

Actually they could grow and die at the same rate, no?

good but the math doesn’t work out for those on Social Security or having productive careers. Again were that to exist that would be more of a shared misery kind of existence. Stagnant societies have never been successful in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT