ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS SUMMARY: Shane Beamer of USC

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
He's the new coach at South Carolina.

He was at Oklahoma last season. He also coached at USC under Spurrier, known mostly for his time as recruiting coordinator.

• He looks like a "Chip" to me. Chip Beamer.

• His wife went to MSU, worked in media relations there. Good staff back in the day.

• This is his 13th year (??) as an SEC coach. (I looked him up ... he was an assistant at Tennessee, MSU and Georgia in addition to the Gamecocks.)

• Alleges to have watched a lot of SEC Network while coaching at Oklahoma, name drops Finebaum, Peter Burns, Alyssa.

• Says there are "a lot of questions" about this team, specifically the offense.

• "We are going to throw to the tight end." That's $1 to Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL)

• Name-drops his dad when talking about how being good on the OL/DL is important. I think everybody says that, but I'm sure Frank Beamer said it as well.

• Sounds like he's concerned about the Gamecocks' defensive backfield.

• Name-drops his dad again ... reminds us that his dad valued special teams as a head coach and Shane does as well. I think everybody says that, but I remember Frank Beamer putting a lot of effort on special teams back when Virginia Tech was competitive.

• South Carolina has 12 commits to its 2022 class. BIG IF TRUE. (It's true.)

• He thinks the best days of South Carolina football are "right ahead of us."

QUESTION about getting out of his dad's shadow. "I'm very, very proud of that. I've always tried to keep that chip on my shoulder ... to prove myself. I've learned a lot from him. I still rely on him a lot for advice."

QUESTION about what a successful season means for South Carolina. "To be the very best team we can be at the end of the season. I know it's cliche, but it's true."

• QUESTION about if Frank Beamer considering coaching in the SEC and/or Alabama. Said he remembers his dad talking with Alabama about its job a time or two. "Certainly, he considered this league."

QUESTION about if the SEC will actually start using tight ends. He says he'll do whatever works best for his team is what he'll do. (SOUNDS LIKE HE'S NOT AS COMMITTED TO 12 PERSONNEL NOW. IT'S BEEN 10 MINUTES.)

QUESTION about the series with Texas A&M. "Great respect for the program." Name-drops Chief Chavis and Phil Fulmer, says he visited there when working at Tennessee. (THAT WAS A LIFETIME AGO.)

QUESTION about his role as a head coach as opposed to being a 'CEO coach,' if he still values developing young men. "I got into this business because of the players. I'll never waver from that, for sure."

**FINAL ASSESSMENT**
I've never seen this dude or heard from this dude, obviously. He seems well trained in terms of how to work behind a podium, which is a great skill for a head coach — particularly one from a bottom-half program. He also went out of his way to play nice with reporters, said something about letting him know if there's anything USC can do for them. That's unusual. Seems at least somewhat genuine. Seems quick-witted. I could see him blowing people away in an interview, which is why we're here talking (writing) about him right now.

A lot of work ahead for him. My prediction is that they follow the Arkansas Trajectory®, which means they'll be slightly decent this season, solid in 2023, hype will grow, they'll get a Top-20 signing class, they'll peak in 2024 with a 9-win season. Then Beamer will leave and then we'll reset with one of two guys: Older guy with failure written all over him or an up-and-comer who will flop because they're already ahead on the law of averages.

Thank you for reading and subscribing to AuburnSports.com.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.