ADVERTISEMENT

Lynchings in Minnesota

So Lincoln was part of the “mob”. Cool. We disagree which I was confident we would when I asked my first question.
Yup and he let the mob have 38 to keep them happy. He was the complicit sheriff that decided it was easier to let 38 go and not worry about it.

The fact I think you’re trolling does not say anything about what I believe about the 8 things you mentioned that ironically aren’t exactly on topic of this thread.
I believe the question was something like "In 150 years, what will we look back on as a grave injustice" or something of the sort. I gave an honest opinion. I hate that you can't handle it.

Yup and he let the mob have 38 to keep them happy. He was the complicit sheriff that decided it was easier to let 38 go and not worry about it.
I also assume you were happy with Lincoln having thousands arrested who were not supporting the war. This was not to say he was an evil person I just do not think all acts are great. Sometimes necessary outweighs right.

Got it. Makes perfect sense. Gotta love those patient “mobs”...
I get it, you are saying if time passes by it can no longer be a lynching. I respectfully disagree but you bring up great points and I just can't get myself to feel good about this one.

I get it, you are saying if time passes by it can no longer be a lynching. I respectfully disagree but you bring up great points and I just can't get myself to feel good about this one.
I don’t think we were discussing “feeling good” about it. What’s there to feel good about?

Reactions: kenews
I don’t think we were discussing “feeling good” about it. What’s there to feel good about?
I didn't mean that, I just get the feeling with the war needs and the people pressing for justice we threw them a bone of 38 people. It does not fit my classical view of the people coming up with pitch forks to do the justice, but it feels like we said hang these to end this. Just differences and I more than get what you are saying, I just feel this was a terrible miscarriage of justice.

Look dude, it’s no big deal, but “Native Americans” never encountered Columbus. Columbus landed in the Bahamas in 1492. The first time the word “Americas” ever appeared was in 1507.
No one anywhere refers to those native to the Caribbean as “Native Americans”.
If you want to call them that you defend some point, feel free.
Columbus called them that. Not because he had been to New Jersey but because of the region in the world he had reached. That area in the West Indies was called The Americas. Think the world in 1490’s. They did not speak as we do today. There were parts of the world they knew existed, parts they thought existed and the part they wanted to go in search of. They referred to places on a map as the map had been defined. What we now call Haiti was called Hispaniola. The same was true of other places. They found indigenous Natives of The Americas which became Native Americans in records kept of the 4 voyages of Columbus.

Columbus called them that. Not because he had been to New Jersey but because of the region in the world he had reached. That area in the West Indies was called The Americas. Think the world in 1490’s. They did not speak as we do today. There were parts of the world they knew existed, parts they thought existed and the part they wanted to go in search of. They referred to places on a map as the map had been defined. What we now call Haiti was called Hispaniola. The same was true of other places. They found indigenous Natives of The Americas which became Native Americans in records kept of the 4 voyages of Columbus.
No it wasn’t and no he didn’t. The first reference to the Americas was on The Waldseemüller map.
image.jpg

In 1507 and it marked The land mass that we know as south and Central America. All 4 of Columbus’ trips had been completed 5 years prior to the area being named for Amerigo Vespucci.

Hey, but cool. I’ve spent enough time on this. You enjoy your evening.

This is a really fun thread.

Tip of the hat to The Commodore (also known as @Jay G. Tate) for allowing such an enriching discussion.

Actually, the island itself is still Hispaniola. It contains the countries of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

This is a really fun thread.

Tip of the hat to The Commodore (also known as @Jay G. Tate) for allowing such an enriching discussion.
I see that this has been moved. If that was done because it had run it’s course and didn’t need to clutter all the sporting news then I get it. If it was done otherwise, I officially rescind my compliment.

ADVERTISEMENT