ADVERTISEMENT

Li'l Nicky get scorched over Taylor fiasco? Not exactly (link)...

Scribe Tiger

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
...Take a look at the linked column by a national columnist who until recently was in the Dwarf Lord's domain. What does he say about the wee coach's course with the now-indicted lineman?

Well, he says Saban "blew it" by giving the kid another chance, then he quickly passes the blame on to the athletic director, then the university. He said the ordeal is symptomatic of larger issues, with college athletics, with society in general.

There's no mention this is a solid link in a long chain of activity by Saban, that he coddled another athlete guilty of a grievous criminal assault on a fellow student. That's evaporated.

To his credit, he exposes some of the sham of Saban's ostensible research into Taylor's background. He also tries to make it seem as if there was a substantial number of the crimson hordes who were disappointed in the Dwarf Lord's decision to ink Taylor. Spare me.

What I'm expecting is to see this whole thing morph into a discussion "second chances," during which Auburn's decision to sign Cam Newton and Nick Marshall after their previous issues -- and Marshall retaining his place on the team after last summer's legal brush -- to surface. Granted the equivocation of property crimes with assault and domestic violence is a stretch but I'm ready for it.

I've seen this happen too many times in the last half century to think otherwise.

No free pass but no excoriation either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News