ADVERTISEMENT

Josiah Gilbert claims first collegiate win

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – Sophomore Josiah Gilbert fired a 12-under performance to earn the first individual win of his collegiate career and lead the top-ranked Auburn men’s golf team in a tied for third place showing at the Valero Texas Collegiate Monday at TPC San Antonio.

As a team, Auburn concluded the tournament with a three-round score of 19-under 845. After a slow start in the final round, the Tigers caught fire on the home stretch, shooting 11-under over the final nine holes to post a day’s best 8-under-par.

“Top three in a field this stacked is always something to be proud of,” Tigers head coach Nick Clinard said. “We definitely left some shots out there and could’ve been better at times, especially mentally, but I am proud of our overall effort and the way we finished strong today.”

Gilbert shot 66-67-71 (-12) to tie for first and earn the first low medalist honors of his career. He becomes the fourth Auburn player to capture an individual win this calendar year.

“Felt good to put myself in the position I did this week,” Gilbert said. “It’s great reassurance that I’m doing the right things and I’ll be in contention more and more by doing those little things right. It’s something that’ll be great to build on for the rest of the season.”

After 54 holes of play, Gilbert and Virginia’s Ben James were deadlocked at 12-under. The duo was forced to play off since a future PGA Tour start was on the line. James won the playoff on the first hole.

Senior Brendan Valdes was another bright spot for the Tigers as he narrowly missed out on his 19th career top-10 finish but saved his best stuff for the last day as he fired an impressive 5-under 67 to close out the week. Valdes picked up birdies on 2, 3, 5 and 8 to shoot 35 on the front and went bogeyless on the back with four more birdies on 12, 14, 16 and 17. The Orlando, Florida product led the Tigers, and ranked third in the 90-man field, with 17 birdies in the tournament.

For the rest of the Auburn lineup, senior Carson Bacha finished just outside the top-20 at 1-under (69-74-72) followed by sophomore Jackson Koivun at 1-over (70-74-73). Freshman Billy Davis shot 3-over in his collegiate debut, carding his first career subpar round, a 2-under 70, on the final day. He shot 72 in round one and 77 in round two. Junior individual player Reed Lotter also shot 3-over (74-75-70).

Up next, Auburn returns to Texas for the Ben Hogan Collegiate Sept 30 – Oct. 1 at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth.

TEAM STANDINGS

1.No. 8 Oklahoma (-30)

2. No. 12 Ole Miss (-24)

T3. No. 1 Auburn (-19)

T3. No. 3 Virginia (-19)

5. No. 4 Vanderbilt (-14)

T6. TCU (-11)

T6. No. 21 Georgia (-11)

8. No. 6 Tennessee (-10)

9. TCU (-5)

10. Mississippi State (E)

11. #15 LSU (+3)

12. Clemson (+4)

T13. UTSA (+27)

T13. ETSU (+27)

15. North Florida (+38)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.