ADVERTISEMENT

I've never seen more game changing mistakes in a lifetime of football watching...

graham bAyoU

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2006
Where do you even begin when analyzing this mess? It starts with the first Hank int. That one probably at least cost us 3. We then have Keys hit the QB OB to continue the drive. We still have chances to stop them and don't. Puts us down early in a game we should've led early. The list goes on and on...

• Devastating fumble by Austin into the end zone. Not even much of a strip. Just poor fundamental protection of the football. Surely cost us 7 there.
  • Scott continues to be more dangerous than productive at PR. Two instances where he doesn't call a fair catch and another where he costs us yardage by not coming up to the ball. We also clearly roughed/ran into the punter on one of the punts. It would've resulted in a first down. The only call, non-call, or review that went our way yesterday.
  • 2nd awful decision by Hank as he throws another right into coverage and they have it inside our 30.
  • We get it back on the next play with the tip pick by Smith. I'm going to nitpick here, but he has a chance to house that if he cuts it back and instead strolls OB. He's got a wall of blue jerseys and only 2 Ark OL to beat if he takes it ack to the right.
  • Hank follows up his best throw while under pressure to Fairweather at the 25 with another stinker on the next play. Clearly should've been ruled incomplete, but an awful throw. We were in FG range. More potential points off the board.
  • More on Scott. Tied at 7 and Arkansas has 3rd and 19. We rush 3. Not to my liking, but we get pressure and should get the stop. Arkansas receiver gets behind everyone even with 8 in coverage. The ball is lofted up with plenty of time to recover. Scott still doesn't play the ball and it's another gift 7.
  • Next series Thorne makes a solid throw to Cam and he doesn't make the catch and the get the int. We would've been inside the 35 if not much deeper had he caught it. Huge unforced error again. It leads to an Ark FG. Down 10 now.
  • We get a busted coverage and get back in it with another nice play by 5. He was the lone bright spot yesterday. They drive and score o the next possession to go back up 10. Game over.

The turnovers were obviously the main reason we lost. Other reasons include giving up 9 of 19 on 3rd downs. Without exaggerating I believe maybe 7 of those were 8 yards or more and most were 10 or more including the bomb that likely ended up costing us a chance to win it. Just awful on 3rd down.

Other than the 3rd and long mess I thought the defense actually hung pretty tough considering the disaster of an offense. They kept us in it and played hard. They only gave up 325 for the game. I don't think this bunch is very good, but I think Durkin has done well with what he has to work with. The defense didn't lose us the Cal and Arkansas games.

What can you say about Hugh? What a massive disappointment he's been so far as an on field coach. Team is sloppy and self destructive and we have not improved at all from game 1 through 4. 5-7 seems unlikely right now. I sure hope the program doesn't bleed talent if we end up there or worse. It seems likely we will because of...

The QB play. We'll end here. Scratch Hank and Geriner. They are not SEC players. Neither is perm, but he's the best we've got and we'll have to ride with him the rest of the season. He does so many things that drive me crazy. He ran out of bounds once in a game we're down 7 instead of trying to get the extra yardage in front of him and take a hit. Also is not very accurate and makes some terrible decisions in the passing game. He is not a winner and we have nothing else. Dark days ahead. Rinse and repeat for AU football these days.

One last thing I forgot to mention. Can't leave the officials out of this one. I'm not sure how they can uphold Hank's last int when the ball clearly rolled while on the ground before possession, yet overturn the KLS diving catch. It was ruled a catch on the field and I've watched it numerous times and he has that ball pinned between his forearm and shoulder and it never moves. That was a catch and the reviewers once again screw up the call and overturn. Also, that PI on Kite late in the game was complete BS and ended up being pivotal in them icing the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.