ADVERTISEMENT

It is amazing how far Bruce has brought Auburn

vanceme

MASSACRES AIN'T MY BAG
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2009
I was reading through some articles on the top 16 seeds the NCAA selection committee released earlier and this below was one of the key takeaways. This was before we took over first in the SEC so now our bracket has the first place team from 4 conferences in the top 4 seeds (Yes I know it will change by selection day).

BUT what caught my attention is highlighted below. Who would ever think Auburn basketball would be in this situation? What Coach Pearl has done is just amazing.

5. For my money, the toughest region the committee constructed Saturday is the South.

Going into Saturday games, the top three seeds in that region all lead their conference: Baylor leads the Big 12 and is the committee’s overall No. 1 seed. Second seed Louisville tops the ACC. Third seed Seton Hall is leading the pack in the Big East. Fourth seed Auburn was tied for second in the SEC.

The catch: only one of those four is led by a coach who has been to the Final Four—Bruce Pearl, who took Auburn there last year. Two coaches in the Midwest have Final Four experience (Bill Self of Kansas and Tom Izzo of Michigan State, both of whom have won national championships at their schools); one in the East (Mike Kryzewski, who has won five national titles); and all four in the West (Mark Few of Gonzaga, Bob Huggins of West Virginia, Jay Wright of Villanova and Dana Altman of Oregon).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.