ADVERTISEMENT

Is SEC basketball on the rise?

Bryan9451

All-American
Dec 2, 2008
Discussion from the mainboard, is SEC basketball on the rise? Seems like every team is trending up (other than Mizzou and Tennessee), either with existing talent or a new coaching hire. I put the teams in bold that have a high chance of making the tournament next year. Teams that could be on the bubble are underlined. I think 6-7 teams from the SEC could make the Big Dance.

UK- Will always be in the hunt for a national championship with Cal.

UF- Will be drastically improved next year and will make the tournament.

LSU- Has a terrible coach, but may bring back Martin and Mickey. Plus they have the #1 HS player in the country committed in Simmons. Likely a tournament team.

Texas A&M- Just signed a top 10 class and have a lot of talent currently. They are likely a tournament team as well.

Arkansas- Might return both Portis and Qualls, and they also signed a good class. Likely a tournament team if Portis and Qualls return.

Vanderbilt- Look out for Vandy next year. Return 7/8 top scorers and have a transfer from Cornell that averaged 17 PPG. Could be a tournament team.

Auburn- Improving. Losing KT and Mason, but the entire roster will be better. Top 10-15 signing class coming in and Canty will be the real deal. I think NIT bound.

Alabama- Potential coaching hire of Marshall could energize the program. They need to make a splash hire to keep up. Potential bubble team depending on hire.

South Carolina- Improving team like Auburn and just signed a good signing class. Has the potential to be a bubble team.

UGA- Loses some key pieces and probably won't be as good. Mark Fox is a good coach though. They won't make the tournament next year

Ole Miss- Return Moody, but lose 3 starting seniors. Won't be as good next year and won't make the tournament.

Miss St- Won't make noise next year, but potential hire of Howland will elevate this program in the coming years.

Tennessee- They lose Richardson and won't be as good.

Mizzou- Sucks and their coach isn't very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News