ADVERTISEMENT

Is it fair to say that Cub Bryant is getting sloppy?

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
The recent scorecard on Cub . . .

A) UAB-Gate

The long conspired end to UAB football, that lethal, nuclear threat to bammer football, was about as badly botched as a Hollywood script writer could have concocted. Instead of choreographing with Ray Watts, et. al. a Nixonian "plausible deniability" that U of A power brokers were entirely behind it, Cub (et. al.) and his wholly owned U of A Board cronies got sloppy, and left forensic evidence at the scene of the crime. And in the process, they stirred a fervor among people who care about UAB, and even some casual UAB supporters, some of whom are people whose primary allegiance is to Auburn, that enough is dammit enough with U of A trying to run a Nazi state on how and where power and money is derived.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that when this whole saga winds down, U of A power brokers will have awakened that part of UAB economic power (not football, but the total enterprise) that flings the damn window open, and the giant peers out, screaming, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore."

Cub Grade on UAB-Gate: F

B) U of A Basketball Coaching Fire & Hire

In a John Kerry-esque move, UAT first decided to RETAIN Grant before they decided to FIRE him ($1 to Bruce Pearl, captivating the SEC Tourney pub in a mini-run). Enter Cub. "Thou shalt fahr this idiot, the bammer belligerents are storming the Bastille!" "Aye, Cap'n," replied Bill Battle, "but, um, uh, who would you like me to hire?"

"ANYONE BUT GRANT!," said Cub. "We got cash, Google 'hottest NCAA hoops coaches' and make a list. Maybe that Marshall guy? I heard Lance on the Roundtable really likes him."

So at least at this point, it is clear that in firing Grant, bammer / Cub / Battle DID NOT "have their man". They may have known they hoped to hire Marshall, but hope is not a strategy, and we will know forthwith if Marshall would seriously talk to bammer, even if a $4-$5 M offer gets put on the table.

Cub Grade on Coaching Fire & Hire: D- (but incomplete at this point)

Footnote: Bill Battle's complete mediocrity in this matter, and lack of having a plan for a "gettable" sensational successor to Grant should be duly noted.

E5
This post was edited on 3/27 9:23 AM by Eagle5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News