ADVERTISEMENT

Important stats from WSJ

Sogger

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 16, 2019
In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

ADVERTISEMENT
The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

tenor.gif

In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

ADVERTISEMENT
The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

Link?

I think it’s pretty obvious that blacks have to put up with a lot of shit from cops and the justice system in general besides being unjustly killed. However, it’s also clear to me that the narrative that cops are perpetuating some kind of genocide on unarmed blacks is just total nonsense.

I think it’s pretty obvious that blacks have to put up with a lot of shit from cops and the justice system in general besides being unjustly killed. However, it’s also clear to me that the narrative that cops are perpetuating some kind of genocide on unarmed blacks is just total nonsense.
And that narrative is being used to try and completely dismantle law enforcement as we know it. All this change and upheaval over a completely false narrative...and people taking knees in front of other people. The world has gone mad...

ADVERTISEMENT
This post is stupid. You could've saved everyone time and just said I don't care about the lives of black people. A lot less words sir....

And that narrative is being used to try and completely dismantle law enforcement as we know it. All this change and upheaval over a completely false narrative...and people taking knees in front of other people. The world has gone mad...

I almost fell out laughing last night listening to some 20 year old kid talk about how we need to defund the police and use all that money to improve the community. Yeah, brah, maybe we can use some of that money to buy unicorns

This post is stupid. You could've saved everyone time and just said I don't care about the lives of black people. A lot less words sir....
To be clear, you are actually disputing the proven facts in favor of emotional opinion? SMDH

Edit: if that was a troll post then you got me.

ADVERTISEMENT
That does not compute with the narrative....hmmm......makes you wonder.....facts be damned...

ADVERTISEMENT
This is making the rounds pretty heavily. I've had 3 "conservative" friends send it to me. I'm not sure what it's supposed to prove? There are all kinds of data and studies on police violence and it very consistently shows the black Americans have about a 3 times higher change of being killed by a LEO than white Americans. And that's just one metric which obviously doesn't address a lot of other forms of harassment and disparate treatment in suspecting, stopping, arresting and charging of all crimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenews
everyone has to put up with shit from (some) stupid ignorant cops Those FACTS disprove the political narrative that we hear every day from main stream media. If you think your getting anywhere near the truth from the main stream media, you are very need to wake up.

This is making the rounds pretty heavily. I've had 3 "conservative" friends send it to me. I'm not sure what it's supposed to prove? There are all kinds of data and studies on police violence and it very consistently shows the black Americans have about a 3 times higher change of being killed by a LEO than white Americans. And that's just one metric which obviously doesn't address a lot of other forms of harassment and disparate treatment in suspecting, stopping, arresting and charging of all crimes.
That is absolutely true and about 10 times more likely to die of a homicide. The living conditions in those "black" communities is just deplorable. Maybe the solution is to vote everyone out in those cities, including the police and have them decide what they want. It is like in my class when I tell my students I can help but I can't do it for you. People do not want to accept that we let Floyd get killed by not getting him away from that cop.

Reactions: Jeenks

Well to put it into perspective, it shows that more people have died during this protest period across the country than all unarmed black people that were fatally shot in all of 2019. So why can't we say that all lives matter and demand that the murders stop in general.

We should be able to address police brutality and disparate treatment without tying it to a murder and causing many more murders.

Well to put it into perspective, it shows that more people have died during this protest period across the country than all unarmed black people that were fatally shot in all of 2019. So why can't we say that all lives matter and demand that the murders stop in general.

We should be able to address police brutality and disparate treatment without tying it to a murder and causing many more murders.
I think there is a problem in a lot of our leadership and community. Our politics is run on lobbying power and you have to be a group to do that. That is why it is so important to belong to a group to have power. Things like NRA, Teacher unions, police unions, etc. get to have a bigger voice on the table if they band together.

I am not sure anymore that the people leading the systemic racism charge are helping the minority communities anymore. I am hating to say it but we may need to have a lobbying group that is just for poor communities, can you hear me Gates and Bezos your turds, and get away from using the black caucus as the lobbying force. It is hard to combat our problems if your leaders are saying band together on race. The people are fantastic, our country is fantastic, the opportunities are there, just need leadership that focuses on the problems and not the votes.

So, so woke.

Mindless, thoughtless and unable to participate in a conversation populated with facts, but so woke.

You called someone you didn’t know a racist, because they pointed out the truth.

Chew on that statement of character.

Reactions: j4au_1
Which is right in line with the rate at which violent crimes are committed. When one race commits violent crimes at three times the rate of another, then it stands to reason that they would have a higher chance of being killed by a LEO as well. Essentially, when adjusted for the rate at which the crimes are being committed, there is no difference.

But that’s not what the outrage is allegedly in response to. It is being asserted that there is a genocide afoot.

That assertion is not supported by any facts.

Post the data you refer to, and we can discuss that. This thread pointed out that the idea of a genocide by the police is a complete and deliberate fabrication. It is obvious that the fabrication is intended to inflame and incite, because the truth reveals progress. And if there is one thing that progress pimps won’t tolerate, it’s actual progress.

Lies like that, while dismissing the importance of inconvenient facts, are intended to exacerbate our racial issues, not solve them.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
I think it proves that, based on their respective interactions with law enforcement, unarmed whites are more likely to be killed than unarmed blacks. Likewise, whites are far more likely to be killed by blacks than blacks are to be killed by whites. The conclusion is then that blacks should not be protesting police brutality.

The fallacy of that position is that it minimizes the proposition is that no-one should be the victim of police brutality and it overlooks the specific facts of the Floyd case.

But that’s not what the outrage is allegedly in response to. It is being asserted that there is a genocide afoot.

That assertion is not supported by any facts.

Post the data you refer to, and we can discuss that. This thread pointed out that the idea of a genocide by the police is a complete and deliberate fabrication. It is obvious that the fabrication is intended to inflame and incite, because the truth reveals progress. And if there is one thing that progress pimps won’t tolerate, it’s actual progress.

Lies like that, while dismissing the importance of inconvenient facts, are intended to exacerbate our racial issues, not solve them.

our racial issues go well beyond just cops killing black people. also, you can often make statistics fit multiple narratives so to just call any statistic a "fact" that shouldn't be discussed with context is somewhat misleading

of course, i don't believe cops are out there committing genocide

Reactions: BeatBama60

I believe the problem is that all citizens take a lot of shit from cops, not just blacks.

I’ll never forget the time my cousin’s husband who was a cop pulled me over late one night when my buddy and I were just driving around doing nothing really but he checked out my car like he was searching for a shipment of drugs. Plus the whole time he was pretty curt to me too. This cop was family!

Or the time 4 of us were in my car at a gas station when the man pumping gas next to me started giving me the 3rd degree about my car (Chevy Impala, nothing special ) and when I questioned his authority (who da fuq are you?) he called the cops on us cause it turns out he was the Chief of Police.

Or the time I called the cops on a obnoxious customer and went to the parking lot to introduce myself to the cop that responded and the customer followed a few seconds later and without hearing his side of the situation he lit into this customer and I thought he might beat the shyt out of him. I actually felt sorry for the customer.

I have many more stories and they all involve white people.

The problem is we hire bad asses who want and like confrontations to be our police. Then we question their methods after problems arise.

We should have known and we should know now that many cops have personality traits that make them poor choices for their jobs.

These traits come out all the time but they are only scrutinized when they kill someone and usually only when the someone is black. Then it becomes political and a national story for the press.

The first part of your statement is true. Isn’t that enough to be pissed about?

our racial issues go well beyond just cops killing black people. also, you can often make statistics fit multiple narratives so to just call any statistic a "fact" that shouldn't be discussed with context is somewhat misleading

of course, i don't believe cops are out there committing genocide
Statistics are facts (presuming they have been honestly assembled and vetted with proper techniques).

It takes honest dialogue to suss out what relevance those facts have. Dismissing data out of hand will not lead anywhere.

If we can’t put all of the data on the table and approach the problem from an unassuming perspective, we are doomed. I think it’s fair for people to complain that not all data is being considered. Because it’s not.

You absolutely cannot solve any problem until you define precisely what the problem is. We are stuck on inaccurate definitions. Gotta get past that before we do anything else.

everyone has to put up with shit from (some) stupid ignorant cops Those FACTS disprove the political narrative that we hear every day from main stream media. If you think your getting anywhere near the truth from the main stream media, you are very need to wake up.
Mostly I'm concerned by your grammar. I have a really difficult time taking people seriously when they don't know the difference between your and you're. Beyond that, people who throw out tropes like MSM and political narrative are not typically coming at this from a point of view where they actually want to listen and discuss a topic.

I can see the numbers and we can all listen to Candace Owens and hear the statistics, but stats never tell a whole story. I think the issues are deeper than race and involve class and poverty, as well, but it's obvious that there are issues black men in America have to deal with that white men simply do not when it comes to interactions with police. I don't need to see the stats when I can hear multiple stories from literally every single adult black person I've ever known tell me about being pulled over for DWB. And that's not a small number considering where and how I grew up and where I live now.

While I don't believe police are performing genocide on black men in America, there are issues within various police forces that go beyond a few bad apples. We're not going to solve all of the issues with a few policy changes but there are absolutely some changes that could be made nationally with regards to policing that could dramatically improve the stats and the relationship with the communities who feel attacked and targeted by the police. Get rid of qualified immunity, get rid of police unions which make it damn near impossible to fire bad cops, make community policing and policies of de-escalation mandatory nationwide. I'm not sure why any of those things are remotely controversial and they would improve performance, trust with the community, the police work environment and reduce killings almost immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT