ADVERTISEMENT

I just thanked a cop

That is so stupid that it does not deserve a response.. glad you can read minds, it's a special talent.
I try not to treat epersonas as if they accurately represent someone's real personality or character, but it is really hard to imagine that Tallassee isn't just a rotten excuse for a human being in real life. Why would a decent person post the kind of stuff he does? Even the content posted by trolls is better. SMH.

I try not to treat epersonas as if they accurately represent someone's real personality or character, but it is really hard to imagine that Tallassee isn't just a rotten excuse for a human being in real life. Why would a decent person post the kind of stuff he does? Even the content posted by trolls is better. SMH.

It must be miserable to be that miserable.

you say that like the majority on this board don't agree...it's ludicrous to say there was NEVER a threat to the officers. you love fighting the straw man.
That was a direct quote from the DA when presenting the charges...so we agree that the DA is FOS by that statement..Look at that we found common ground.

That was a direct quote from the DA...so we agree that the DA is FOS by that statement..Look at that we found common ground.

i posted his words last night and did not agree with them...hyperbole or exaggeration of the truth helps no one

an MSNBC anchor said the guy was detained for no reason and executed...that helps no one

Reactions: ricedp105
i posted his words last night and did not agree with them...hyperbole or exaggeration of the truth helps no one

an MSNBC anchor said the guy was detained for no reason and executed...that helps no one
My whole point to post that was the DA is trying to set up a scenario where Brooks was never a threat to the officer(s) and thus wasn't justified in discharging his firearm(the entire premise of the murder charge). You now seem to agree that logic is BS, see more common ground we agree upon here.

If they were properly trained, they wouldn’t have let one drunk guy take down two combat-trained cops.
This is a valid point and one of the first things I thought when I first saw the video. It is hard to fault the officers as I am sure they did the best they could. Maybe they were shocked that he reacted that way after they had been talking with him, but it is their job not to be surprised and two officers are supposed to be able to subdue and apprehend almost any suspect in this situation, ideally without injuring him seriously or killing him. Failure to do this ultimately resulted in this guy's death. But again, it is hard to fault a couple of guys who clearly tried to do what they were supposed to do. It's not like they wanted it to happen and intentionally let a drunk suspect kick their asses. They appear to be in decent physical shape too. I've seen other officers where it was obvious from their appearance that physically performing that kid of task would be a problem.

The flag wavers ITT don't realize that the BlueFlu is just playing into the hands of people that want to cut their funding.

It's because it shows that they're not in it for the right reasons. And it shows that we need to recruit, train, and fund cops that are.

I would fire any cop that walked off the job last night. Because their actions prove that they care more about the Blue Code and some irrational measure of 'support' than they do serving and protecting. Some cop in APD in Zone 6 who probably has never met or knows these two cops in particular have zero reason to walk out if they just continue to do their jobs the right way.

Do your job: support

Kill people, cover for your corrupt brothers, act rude and belligerent over a fifty cent tail light being out : no support
They didn’t just walk out out of support for Rolfe, they walked out because they were basically told by the city’s leaders that they can do their job exactly how they were trained to do it and be charged with murder if the thug they were trying to apprehend, who resisted assaulted the officers and pointed their taser at them, is black.

Like I said last night... I hope you “fall asleep” drunk in a drive thru, resist arrest, assault an officer, and point the officer’s taser at him... best part is, nobody will give a fvck because you’re white.

You are incredibly naive. The officers have policies, use of force guidelines and legal restrictions to consider in addition to their training. If it was a straight up street fight they would have knocked him unconscious, tossed his ass in the car and that would have been that. What happened is a direct result of one side trying to stay within their training, policies and guidelines and subdue a resistive subject, all while cognizant that the bystanders were very likely recording them.

He escalated, they escalated, and here we are.
I have family in law enforcement. I know numerous police officers.
Police officers are extremely limited in how they can respond to physical altercations. That’s especially true right now. If their tasers don’t do the job and the guy they are trying to subdue is physically capable then the police are at a disadvantage.

Yes, those two officers could have beaten him down or gone MMA on him and subdued him but that would have created problems for them as well. Their limitations and lack of options is one of the things that stands out in that altercation for me.

In my opinion.

GW-1809-HOT-07.jpg

These are what the Taser prongs look like. Imagine taking those in the face, with 50,000 volts behind them.
The effective range on those is 20ft. Brooks was 20ft away within seconds. No need to chase after him.

Man I'm fired up. I'm sick of this crap. "Be perfect at all times or your life as you know it is over"....what kind of crap is that?

I'm going to thank every cop I see. There should be a National Thank a cop campaign
I passed by three police protecting a popular area in Tampa the other night on my way to pick up dinner. I stopped and thanked all 3. A few words of support can go a long way when you’re not used to hearing them.

I bet you were one of those kids in 5th grade that was on patrol and would chase kids down the hallway just to write them up for running.
Bro, there is no way on God's green earth that you can expect a police officer to let a criminal who had committed at least 4 crimes up until the point he was "running away" with a stolen taser to just let him go. THAT would be cause for that officers termination actually.

I wonder what black cops think about all this. I wouldn’t really have an issue if the vast majority of cops were minorities, just so we don't have to worry about the race issue.

Bro, there is no way on God's green earth that you can expect a police officer to let a criminal who had committed at least 4 crimes up until the point he was "running away" with a stolen taser to just let him go. THAT would be cause for that officers termination actually.
You clearly know nothing about what law enforcement is supposed to do. Thanks for making that abundantly clear. Good day to you, sir.

Per the DA, when Brooks fired the taser, the the prongs went over the head of the officer. He was within range of the officer when he fired, right? He just missed with it.
My point was that if he wasn't chasing him, he wouldn't have been in range. He shouldn't have been chasing him. Should've called backup, and set up a perimeter. It's not like the guy was going to go hurt someone else.

Reactions: Big Blue
Per the DA, when Brooks fired the taser, the the prongs went over the head of the officer. He was within range of the officer when he fired, right? He just missed with it.
Yes, and per the guy that trains APD officers this is why a taser in the hands of an individual without training is considered a deadly weapon.. (these aren't my words/opinions, but what the APD officer stated as to why the shooting was justified by GA law)

Edit: @Jackson68's post above is exactly who I was referring to in this post. Watch that video if you haven't yet.

My point was that if he wasn't chasing him, he wouldn't have been in range. He shouldn't have been chasing him. Should've called backup, and set up a perimeter. It's not like the guy was going to go hurt someone else.
That’s an assumption and not a solid one. He was passed out in his car and assaulted two police officers. I guess everyone who was in his path that night is lucky that he hadn’t already hurt or killed someone.

Have you ever lost someone because of a drunk driver? To a person, I’d assume that they wish a police officer would have stopped the drunk driver before they killed their loved one(s).

Maybe so. I honestly do not know what policy or procedure is for police in that situation, but it seems likely that if chasing the guy is not mandated by policy it is at the very least allowed. Police are generally supposed to pursue criminal suspects, right? I don't see how anyone can make the case that the guy was not going to go hurt someone else when he had just violently assaulted two police officers. It is reasonable to believe that a guy who had done what Brooks had already done that night posed a potential threat to public safety in multiple ways.

That’s an assumption and not a solid one. He was passed out in his car and assaulted two police officers. I guess everyone who was in his path that night is lucky that he hadn’t already hurt or killed someone.

Have you ever lost someone because of a drunk driver? To a person, I’d assume that they wish a police officer would have stopped the drunk driver before they killed their loved one(s).
..not to mention Wendy's called the officers to the scene in the first place. That's an important factor here too..it's not like they just stumbled upon Brooks in a drive thru.

He made it clear to the officers he lived walking distance from his sister’s. I don’t think he was going to go carjack someone and speed home.

He made it clear to the officers he lived walking distance from his sister’s. I don’t think he was going to go carjack someone and speed home.
So the police officers should have let a man passed out in his car in a drive through walk home? Are you serious?

You don’t know what the man was going to do. He doesn’t sound a like guy who was making great decisions to me. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

Have you ever had your life impacted by a drunk driver?

So the police officers should have let a man passed out in his car in a drive through walk home? Are you serious?

You don’t know what the man was going to do. He doesn’t sound a like guy who was making great decisions to me. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

..this wasn't Brooks first DUI either IIRC and he had just served a 7 year prison sentence and got released early due to COVID. So yea any officer knowing Brooks criminal history, which could have been easily found by running his plates/license, would have been negligent for letting him free.

The crazy thing is DUI manslaughter is a lite sentence. Very. You can murder a person and get out in 2 to 4 as long as you were intoxicated and in a vehicle.

You missed my point entirely. Once he ran, they should’ve called backup and set up a perimeter. He wasn’t an immediate threat to society, and didn’t need a renegade cop chasing him down because he stole a taser.

He is absolutely correct that this is different from the George Floyd murder. Based only on what we have seen, if I were on the respective juries in those cases, I would vote to convict Chauvin of the most severe murder charge that the prosecution could bring. I also would hang the jury until hell freezes over for the felony murder charge against this ATL officer. People do not have to see every death at the hands of police the same way. The views of those who do see them all the same are suspect, IMO.

I guess the thing that frustrates me the most about all this is that I don't see anything much happening that would make things better. I've seen very little if anything proposed by anyone that would actually make situations like that of the George Floyd killing less likely. It would seem to make sense for laws to be changed to require police to be more actively responsible for the life and safety of those apprehended and in police custody. When a suspect is clearly cuffed and subdued like George Floyd was, it seems like officers who kill or even, through callous disregard for their life or safety, allow the death of a suspect should be able to be prosecuted much more severely. I know the devil is in the details and that all of the varied possible circumstances that officers can face make it hard to define well such laws, but it seems like an officer who did what Chauvin did to Floyd should be able to easily at least be charged and hopefully convicted of first degree murder. Instead, there are questions about whether even third degree can stick. That seems wrong, but nobody is really proposing anything to change that, right?

Instead, we seem to be having a bunch of debate about tangential or unrelated stuff like monuments and pancake syrup and other extraneous issues. I'm not saying all of those are irrelevant or unimportant, but in the wake of this George Floyd killing, shouldn't we at the very least see some sort of change that actually would affect this particular circumstance when/if it happens in the future? What is changing in the wake of Floyd's killing that will make a repeat of that incident less likely? Something needs to, right?

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23 , a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

He's innocent based on Georgia law for use of deadly force, yes.
I believe he is not guilty of the murder charge, but that doesn't mean "he's innocent based on Georgia law" on all charges.

Reactions: AUgncEngineer
I was not under the impression that police officers make it a habit of letting drunk drivers park their vehicles and walk home. That’s news to me but maybe it’s a regular occurrence. I guess the thing to say from now on is hey officer...my friend, my folks, my sister, my Girlfriend lives close by. I’ll just sell home and leave my car here in the parking lot, driveway, side of the road, field. You can trust me to only come back and get it once I’m sober or you can run my keys by the house when you get off your shift. Plus...I promise not to hold you responsible for anything I do while walking home drunk.

he told me i have no idea what LE go through and that he did b/c he had done a ride along one time...then i informed him my former BIL was a cop and is now a trooper. yet i'm still the idiot and he still stayed at a holiday inn express last night. it never changes with rice

My dad was veterinarian, you want to bring your dog over for me to treat? I'm cheap!

Reactions: Jay G. Tate
I was not under the impression that police officers make it a habit of letting drunk drivers park their vehicles and walk home. That’s news to me but maybe it’s a regular occurrence. I guess the thing to say from now on is hey officer...my friend, my folks, my sister, my Girlfriend lives close by. I’ll just sell home and leave my car here in the parking lot, driveway, side of the road, field. You can trust me to only come back and get it once I’m sober or you can run my keys by the house when you get off your shift. Plus...I promise not to hold you responsible for anything I do while walking home drunk.
I never once said, or even implied, to let him walk home. Just meant he wasn’t far from his house, and was likely not going to steal a car and drive drunk.

ADVERTISEMENT