ADVERTISEMENT

I’m going to be cheering for Georgia, Texas A&M and LSU this weekend…

WarEagleG

G IS FOR 'GROOVE'
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Well, maybe not cheering for Georgia, but it will be helpful for them to win.

I think the days of caring about conference performance is back now with the 12 team playoff. More than any year previously they will be splitting hairs between 2 and 3 loss teams… likely 7 or 8 teams ranked in the top 15 all making their argument for their spot in the playoff.

There aren’t really 12 playoff spots up for grabs since 1 of those will go to a G5 team that is unlikely to be top 12 and there is a very real possibility that the ACC and/or Big XII champ is outside the top 12. That means any at large team may need to be in the top 9.

What it will come down to is SOS and perception of conference strength. Both the SEC and the B1G will beat up on each other quite a bit. There will be some DAMN good 8-4 SEC teams, and while I wouldn’t fight to put a 4 loss team in the playoffs, there absolutely will be strong arguments for 1 or more 3 loss teams.

While there has always been an acknowledgement that the SEC was the strongest conference, the committee generally ranked teams by losses across the P5, with FSU being the significant exception to that last year. This year I think the committee recognizes the significantly larger gap between the SEC, and to a slightly lesser degree the B1G, over the ACC and Big XII.

Look at Notre Dame’s schedule. If they beat TAMU it would be a complete failure for them to finish any worse than 10-2. Even a loss to TAMU and 10-2 is very realistic with their schedule (the only other ranked teams they play are FSU (lol) and USC). Compare that to Oklahoma who will play 6 teams in the top 16 plus a road trip to JHS. ND needs to lose to open up a playoff spot for a more deserving team.

Georgia beating Clemson helps keep potential ACC at-large teams out of that top 12.

LSU beating USC gives the SEC H2H comparison of two teams with a shot to be on the cusp of that playoff discussion for whoever wins.

Of course if this is to be relevant to Auburn, we just need to win. But for anyone that thinks we have an outside shot at 9-3… these games matter because 9-3 might be enough if the SEC shows it is far and away the best conference and the committee puts appropriate weighting on SOS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.