ADVERTISEMENT

HVAC Experts - Advice Needed.....

CobbTiger

All-American
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
Two Trane systems in my home. Both installed at the same time over 14 years ago. Unfortunately the upstairs system stopped cooling this week. First service guy comes out and looks at it, puts a pound of freon in and everything seems to be fine. Then two days later my upstairs is back up to 78 degrees, so I knew the problem was more than just freon. Second service guy comes out and is much more thorough in his evaluation. He took pictures while in my attic, and showed me the problem with a leak and the coil.

So my choices are to replace the coil and use freon for about 1700-1800 (knowing that freon is about to be extinct). Or get a new coil, compressor, and thermostat (the Carrier Infinity series is being quoted) for about 5500 to 6000 range. The salesperson told me the furnace is fine, so not to worry about replacing it for now.

The price seemed reasonable to me, so I asked him to quote for my downstairs as well (new coil, compressor, thermostat). They told me they would discount the second system by 500.

So at an age of 14 years, do I do the bandaid fix of replacing coil for 1800? Or get the upstairs system for 6000? Or go ahead and do both systems (knowing that the downstairs system is working without issue so far, though it is 14 years of age)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.