ADVERTISEMENT

Huntsville PD says they tear gassed a peaceful crowd as a "precaution"...

Was anyone actually there lol? I went Monday night. No one got pepper sprayed until 730-8pm after being allowed tons of time to stand on a busy corner yelling at cops and taunting them and disrupting traffic. After several warnings to just move along, enter some pepper spray. Better than physically touching the “protestors”.

as for last night, I don’t agree tear gas and rubber bullets should be used HOWEVER...
HPD isn’t messing around and didn’t want their city to look like Bham hours after the rally permit expired. Businesses downtown are already struggling, every time these protests go on throughout the night that’s more money lost.
The rally got the point across. The shit that goes down afterwards loses the point. And yes there were windows busted out and things thrown at cops.

HPD statement below says the protest was peaceful, but the crowd became "a little hostile" and they used gas as a precaution as they didn't want to "roll the dice on the protesters becoming violent." Birmingham's Bull Connor would have loved that justification for deploying tear gas, fire hoses or dogs.

This is exactly the kind of action that will continue to cause the protests to grow. Using chemical agents on people who are peacefully protesting police violence is the worst thing any department could be doing right now. The people this guy was spraying weren't even protesting, they were just milling around with some of them sitting on a bench talking and not paying attention as he walks up to spray them. This officer should be fired.

Then to make matters worse, they tear gassed a peaceful crowd that included children and then the officers in gas masks prevented the crowd and media from fleeing the gas. This was not a riot. It was a peaceful assembly of people exercising their 1st amendment rights. Huntsville needs to fire their police chief.

how many businesses were looted. the protest-tors long ago lost their right to be out.

Wait, you don't agree with hostile armed protesters being gassed? That's what you said above.

The protesters in Michigan meet both of your criteria for gassing and firing rubber bullets as they were armed and hostile. Would you have supported gassing the crowd depicted above in their state capital to ensure they did not become violent?
no, because they had no history ever of becoming violent. the left has a whole world of history, its what you do.

This is the kind of unfortunate reaction that will happen when nonviolent protesters are gassed or shot with rubber bullets. As I said earlier, even those who don't support the protesters should be able to realize that gas and rubber bullets against wholly or largely peaceful groups will only spark more protests and unfortunately motivate some people to give up on being peaceful.
That’s a shame

I have no issue with police officers protecting themselves. HPD doesn't say they were protecting themselves though, they said they gassed the crowd as a precaution in case they become violent.

And where were the guns? Did the girls who were pepper sprayed have assault weapons I missed in the video?

I found some pictures with protesters who were armed though. Do you think all of these guys should have been shot in case they became violent, as HPD said was their justification?

michigan-protest.jpg

AP20121567730868.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
showed respect for police and property. American heroes

Reactions: Random Sidewalk Fan
So the direct quote from the Lt. And several first hand accounts I have are invalidated by a 48 sec video and a reporter misquoting the Lt.?

And ANY peaceful protest is protected by the first amendment. Period. F this permit noise btw.
So you are saying the clan can protest any time and anywhere? ps the clan protests are less violent than the ones the left does. they never loot. The clan is human garbage I want them all shot. All protests in DC must be permitted all the time. judges decide when conflict occurs, its a regular thing here

HPD statement below says the protest was peaceful, but the crowd became "a little hostile" and they used gas as a precaution as they didn't want to "roll the dice on the protesters becoming violent." Birmingham's Bull Connor would have loved that justification for deploying tear gas, fire hoses or dogs.

This is exactly the kind of action that will continue to cause the protests to grow. Using chemical agents on people who are peacefully protesting police violence is the worst thing any department could be doing right now. The people this guy was spraying weren't even protesting, they were just milling around with some of them sitting on a bench talking and not paying attention as he walks up to spray them. This officer should be fired.

Then to make matters worse, they tear gassed a peaceful crowd that included children and then the officers in gas masks prevented the crowd and media from fleeing the gas. This was not a riot. It was a peaceful assembly of people exercising their 1st amendment rights. Huntsville needs to fire their police chief.

wrong board

Typical @DuMb8 post. Incomplete facts, gets called out, fills up 2 pages worth of whataboutisms and unrelated historical events.

He should probably go and join his fellow rioters because it's obvious he too dumb to hold down a day job.
This is what the protests are about. The officer and the accomplices have been charged, but even if they haven't that is not what is being protested by most on the streets. It is what they have been told is historical and continued racism in this country. They are obligated to defend that statement at all cost or they themselves will be not be included in the crowd for justice.

The thing about protests is they are a chance to make a scene and be on camera doing it. Every little thing that is something we make a national issue gives the public the right to at least verbally assault police officers for a while. During the day the situations are obnoxious but usually not dangerous. The thing is when night rolls in the tensions exasperate and people should go home. Even good people will do stupid things near the end of the day.

Reactions: ricedp105 and 94WDE

Isn't law and order a beautiful sight?

Reactions: j4au_1

I’m not reading through all these comments but this is classic DM8 reporting. You tell me anywhere in that article did HPD say they used “tear gas” and “rubber bullets”? Much like in Washington, this was probably just smoke, not tear gas, people need to understand the difference. And yes I saw the one guy spray pepper spray one time in that video, he was not casually walking around pepper spraying people. And once again, you are only showing clips of videos from people who are painting the “peaceful” picture. Yes HPD said the protests were peaceful and no property was damaged. All these things happened after the protest was over. Blows my mind that you can’t understand how the media and people can twist a story and twist words to write a story.

I’m not reading through all these comments but this is classic DM8 reporting. You tell me anywhere in that article did HPD say they used “tear gas” and “rubber bullets”? Much like in Washington, this was probably just smoke, not tear gas, people need to understand the difference. And yes I saw the one guy spray pepper spray one time in that video, he was not casually walking around pepper spraying people. And once again, you are only showing clips of videos from people who are painting the “peaceful” picture. Yes HPD said the protests were peaceful and no property was damaged. All these things happened after the protest was over. Blows my mind that you can’t understand how the media and people can twist a story and twist words to write a story.
he knows , he lies

Would have liked to have seen more than this small sample video,like what was going on before video was shot. What's strange is this cop walking around spraying "tear" gas without any PPE .

Precaution is the key. They do not want their city burned down and defaced. While it was “peaceful”, it was hardly non-threatening.

these threads are going to become more political by the day

The official spokesperson is unreliable? That seems odd.

As I said, if anyone threw something or otherwise assaulted a police officer, I am all of them being arrested. Those people are doing more to hurt the protest movement than any police department.

Do you think police in riot gear are capable of dealing with a small number
OP likes using official statements as fact......unless like his thread on the aids board.they come from the US Park police in DC...they happen to be liars because they didn’t support his narrative.....OP has become a troll like stump....I keep waiting to post in one of his threads he starts about police officers getting stabbed and shot but I sadly I cannot find them

Reactions: ricedp105
I generally like DM8 post and especially basketball. However, he is taking it to Rice level insanity with “absolutes” just because a video does or does not show something. Nothing is absolute in situation and the story usually lies in between. You can still not agree with using of the gas which is 100% fine.

I would assume all of this happened. Tear/riot gas was used on peaceful protestors. Items where thrown at cops. Crowds where asked to get out of the road. A few protestors probably took some things too far and ruined for the other 99%. Again, not condoning using the gas, simply saying anyone talking in absolutes because of video is ridiculous especially when some of the people where there or had friends that where there.
Don't compare me with the fvcktard loser of an attorney...

This is the kind of unfortunate reaction that will happen when nonviolent protesters are gassed or shot with rubber bullets. As I said earlier, even those who don't support the protesters should be able to realize that gas and rubber bullets against wholly or largely peaceful groups will only spark more protests and unfortunately motivate some people to give up on being peaceful.

That person has a shit ton of leg hair for a child.

Dear Diary...

I would love to have seen your reaction if that was a crowd of tea partiers or shutdown protesters. I am sure you would support a crowd including chilidren being gassed and people being seriously wounded with rubber bullets as a "precaution" in case they became violent, as the HPD spokesperson put it.

None of these people protesting at the Michigan Capital had a permit and some were very hostile. You believe they should have been shot with rubber bullets and gassed, correct?

200430-lansing-protest-al-1403_5391b85a0629b7903af26aa8a57c4241.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg

1588279063197-gettyimages-1211398273-jpeg.jpg
Those are not Tea Party members. Don't recall anyone here praising this protest either. If these folk got out of hand and started to assault police and burn down the city they damn sure should have been disarmed and put down by force. Don't give a shit if they are flying Trump flags or not.

:eek:

Madison County doesn't have a curfew in place as far as I can tell. I checked the county website and it says nothing about it, only the one from COVID which expired. HPD only said the protesters had stayed being their permit time.

It is very problematic to claim anything up to lethal force is justified against peaceful protesters who are engaged in civil disobedience. All of the folks below were protesting peacefully in another time when riots were unfortunately also an issue in our country. The use of tear gas and other "non lethal force" against those protesters has not aged well.

up5u2A4_QMc-YYGMOBDTk09bA3qN_hs2t9ZtONu_0Fs.jpg

time-100-influential-photos-charles-moore-birmingham-alabama-52.jpg

ZNOSJXUTTB5XTQ4TUO3M6QWEPE.jpg

Firemen_turn_fire_hoses_on_demonstrators_Birmingham_Alabama_1963_Photo_by_Charles_Moore.jpg

150303161530-08-cnnphotos-selma-restricted-large-169.jpg
Good Lord. I'm older than most here on the Bunker and I wasn't alive when this happened.

It's amazing that every discussion on this board turns into two sides on either extreme with seemingly no one accepting the possibility that there is probably some degree of fault going both ways. The more interesting discussion would be at what point is tear gas and pepper spray appropriate.

It's amazing that every discussion on this board turns into two sides on either extreme with seemingly no one accepting the possibility that there is probably some degree of fault going both ways. The more interesting discussion would be at what point is tear gas and pepper spray appropriate.
100%, both sides talk in absolutes.....

Reactions: AUmilo
That person has a shit ton of leg hair for a child.

Dear Diary...
I'm assuming the light and shadows are from street lights or flashlights....if it is sunlight we may have a credibility issue seeing how it happened after sundown

Here is Reason Magazine’s take on if (for those who don’t know, they’re neither Democrat nor Republican—they’re small “L” libertarians—so not affiliated with the party):

https://reason.com/2020/06/03/it-wasnt-tear-gas-it-was-a-gaseous-substance-that-causes-tears/

Here is an excerpt:

“No, President Donald Trump didn't have police shoot tear gas at innocent people so he could pose for a pic with an upside-down Bible. Both the president and his lackeys at certain media outlets want to make sure we're clear on that. You see, the truth is that Trump had police bombard a law-abiding crowd with a gaseous substance that produces tears.

You see the difference? Not really? It doesn't matter. We're talking about this right now, and that's what Trump boosters and predator-cop stans want. The more time people spend debating the difference between tear gas and "smoke canisters and pepper balls," the less focus on the fact that the Trump administration had peaceful citizens attacked so he could pretend on camera to be brave and religious.

This is the same tactic we've seen again and again from the Trump administration: deny, shift stories, and quibble over inane particulars.”​
ha ha. Yeah they sound "neutral"

Here is Reason Magazine’s take on if (for those who don’t know, they’re neither Democrat nor Republican—they’re small “L” libertarians—so not affiliated with the party):

https://reason.com/2020/06/03/it-wasnt-tear-gas-it-was-a-gaseous-substance-that-causes-tears/

Here is an excerpt:

“No, President Donald Trump didn't have police shoot tear gas at innocent people so he could pose for a pic with an upside-down Bible. Both the president and his lackeys at certain media outlets want to make sure we're clear on that. You see, the truth is that Trump had police bombard a law-abiding crowd with a gaseous substance that produces tears.

You see the difference? Not really? It doesn't matter. We're talking about this right now, and that's what Trump boosters and predator-cop stans want. The more time people spend debating the difference between tear gas and "smoke canisters and pepper balls," the less focus on the fact that the Trump administration had peaceful citizens attacked so he could pretend on camera to be brave and religious.

This is the same tactic we've seen again and again from the Trump administration: deny, shift stories, and quibble over inane particulars.”​
Lord have mercy.

FWIW. They were not being peaceful. Why this story is gone and out of the headlines now.

No it’s not. My true opinions would seem extreme. I do not voice them. I will give you one. If a person resisted arrest then whatever happens after that is on them. I believe police should hurt them. That’s how it was always done in the past. It discourages it in the future. By the way that’s regardless of race in case you were wondering.. On the other side I think the cop in the case should get the death penalty

ADVERTISEMENT