ADVERTISEMENT

Huntsville PD says they tear gassed a peaceful crowd as a "precaution"...

DM8

Bunker Legend
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2007
HPD statement below says the protest was peaceful, but the crowd became "a little hostile" and they used gas as a precaution as they didn't want to "roll the dice on the protesters becoming violent." Birmingham's Bull Connor would have loved that justification for deploying tear gas, fire hoses or dogs.

This is exactly the kind of action that will continue to cause the protests to grow. Using chemical agents on people who are peacefully protesting police violence is the worst thing any department could be doing right now. The people this guy was spraying weren't even protesting, they were just milling around with some of them sitting on a bench talking and not paying attention as he walks up to spray them. This officer should be fired.

Then to make matters worse, they tear gassed a peaceful crowd that included children and then the officers in gas masks prevented the crowd and media from fleeing the gas. This was not a riot. It was a peaceful assembly of people exercising their 1st amendment rights. Huntsville needs to fire their police chief.

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of action that will continue to cause the protests to grow. Using chemical agents on people who are peacefully protesting police violence is the worst thing any department could be doing right now. The people this guy was spraying weren't even protesting, they were just milling around with some of them sitting on a bench talking and not paying attention as he walks up to spray them. This officer should be fired.

Then to make matters worse, they tear gassed a peaceful crowd that included children and then the officers in gas masks prevented the crowd and media from fleeing the gas. This was not a riot. It was a peaceful assembly of people exercising their 1st amendment rights. Huntsville needs to fire their police chief.

I want to be intellectually honest. Folks have the right exercise their first amendment rights regardless of permits and such. I just wish the media and people showed the same respect to protests they don't necessarily align with.

I want to be intellectually honest. Folks have the right exercise their first ammendment rights regardless of permits and such. I just wish the media and people showed the same respect to protests they don't necessarily align with.
We are on the same page on this. If tear gas or rubber bullets had been fired at tea party groups or shutdown protesters, I would have been livid. This is America and people have the right to assembly and free speech. If they are violating curfew, calmly let them know anyone who doesn't leave will be detained and then start zip tying people. That happens all the time at peaceful protests where people choose to engage in civil disobedience. I am all for shutting down any riots, but attacking peaceful protesters as a "precaution" as HPD admitted they did is beyond the pale.

Last edited:
Huntsville PD already released a statement saying the protest was peaceful but they gassed the protesters as a precaution. Maybe INFOWARS has an expert who could break it down for us and point out the ANTIFAs.

I've got firsthand accounts of friends who were lazily peppered sprayed by that officer. I even confirmed with one person that this video was the same officer.

I also have first hand accounts of protestors throwing objects at police.

It's not rocket science to state that BOTH parties are wrong - to an extent.

Secondly, SEVERAL members of the community were told by the FBI (whom has a massive presence here) and HPD that agitators are in town from out of town.

We are on the same page on this. If tear gas or rubber bullets had been fired at tea party groups or shutdown protesters, I would have been livid. This is America and people have the right to free speech. I am all for shutting down any riots, but attacking peaceful protesters as a "precaution" as HPD admitted they did is beyond the pale.
If tea party protests turned into riots I wouldn't complain of the repercussions of such criminality.

Reactions: johntodd
I've got firsthand accounts of friends who were lazily peppered sprayed by that officer. I even confirmed with one person that this video was the same officer.

I also have first hand accounts of protestors throwing objects at police.

It's not rocket science to state that BOTH parties are wrong - to an extent.

Secondly, SEVERAL members of the community were told by the FBI (whom has a massive presence here) and HPD that agitators are in town from out of town.
If anyone was being violent, I certainly should have been dealt with, but the videos show that wasn't the case. HPD's statement admits they tear gassed the peaceful crowd as a precaution. No one in the videos I posted above is throwing anything. The people being tear gassed and pepper sprayed clearly weren't being violent.

If anyone was being violent, I certainly should have been dealt with, but the videos show that wasn't the case. HPD's statement admits they tear gassed the peaceful crowd as a precaution. No one in the videos I posted above is throwing anything. The people being tear gassed and pepper sprayed clearly weren't being violent.

Yeap because everything is in a 10 second video...both sides were wrong. It's not hard to understand.

Reactions: Mikecb22
If tea party protests turned into riots I wouldn't complain of the repercussions of such criminality.
This wasn't a riot in Huntsville anymore than any tea party protest. Attacking and gassing peaceful protesters is abhorrent regardless of whether riots have occurred elsewhere or at other times. Even for people who oppose the protesters cause, everyone should be able to understand that this kind of response will only fuel the protest and motivate some people to riot.

HPD admitted the protest was peaceful so this is a moot point. Do you agree with using tear gas on peaceful protesters as a precaution? Surely not.

People throwing objects at police (confirmed by multiple, independent sources) is peaceful?

Peaceful protests NEVER require tear gas.

HPD admitted the protest was peaceful so this is a moot point. Do you agree with using tear gas on peaceful protesters as a precaution? Surely not.
They say in your linked statement that things started to get a little hostile. Things were thrown, threats were made, the road was blocked.

Did you not read your own link?

This wasn't a riot in Huntsville anymore than any tea party protest. Attacking and gassing peaceful protesters is abhorrent regardless of whether riots have occurred elsewhere or at other times. Even for people who oppose the protesters cause, everyone should be able to understand that this kind of response will only fuel the protest and motivate some people to riot.
I am against government oppression and over reach. If there was zero physical confrontation such as projectiles and the such there is no harm in leaving them be. The first incident initiated by the protesters should end that gathering post haste. I've heard conflicting accounts though.

People throwing objects at police (confirmed by multiple, independent sources) is peaceful?

Peaceful protests NEVER require tear gas.
Huntsville PD says your sources are wrong. The Department statement posted above says that "no violence or property damage had occurred" during the protest.

Reactions: holycitytiger
I am against government oppression and over reach. If there was zero physical confrontation such as projectiles and the such there is no harm in leaving them be. The first incident initiated by the protesters should end that gathering post haste. I've heard conflicting accounts though.
I'll go with HPD's statement posted above where their spokesman says, "no violence or property damage had occurred" during the protest.

Can you not read the link you posted?
Of course I read it. The statement and the videos prove the protest was peaceful. If someone at some point threw something, that certainly doesn't justify gassing an entire crowd which included children. I am amazed that anyone would defend what they can see with their own eyes happening on those videos.

I'll go with HPD's statement posted above where their spokesman says, "no violence or property damage had occurred" during the protest.
It seems clear to me that they are separating the protest and what happened in the time period allowed for that from what happened after that time expired. Before was peaceful and after got a little hostile, threats were made and the road was blocked.

Its all right there in the statement you linked and partially read and are relying on.

They say in your linked statement that things started to get a little hostile. Things were thrown, threats were made, the road was blocked.

Did you not read your own link?
Of course I read it. He made it clear the protest was not violent. He clearly said they were not going to "roll the dice" and gassed the crowd, including children, as a precaution. It's pitiful that you would defend that.

Of course I read it. The statement and the videos prove the protest was peaceful. If someone at some point threw something, that certainly doesn't justify gassing an entire crowd which included children. I am amazed that anyone would defend what they can see with their own eyes happening on those videos.
A 48 second video proves nothing.

Of course I read it. He made it clear the protest was not violent. He clearly said they were not going to "roll the dice" and gassed the crowd, including children, as a precaution. It's pitiful that you would defend that.
He said it started getting hostile, threats against the police were made and the road was blocked.

Its pitiful that you have no issue with police officers safety. You realize that they are getting attacked and killed around the country don’t you?

It’s been reported that guns were seen, objects were being pulled from backpacks. An officer was injured by something thrown.

It seems clear to me that they are separating the protest and what happened in the time period allowed for that from what happened after that time expired. Before was peaceful and after got a little hostile, threats were made and the road was blocked.

Its all right there in the statement you linked and partially read and are relying on.
I would love to have seen your reaction if that was a crowd of tea partiers or shutdown protesters. I am sure you would support a crowd including chilidren being gassed and people being seriously wounded with rubber bullets as a "precaution" in case they became violent, as the HPD spokesperson put it.

None of these people protesting at the Michigan Capital had a permit and some were very hostile. You believe they should have been shot with rubber bullets and gassed, correct?

200430-lansing-protest-al-1403_5391b85a0629b7903af26aa8a57c4241.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg

1588279063197-gettyimages-1211398273-jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Tiger Jams
He said it started getting hostile, threats against the police were made and the road was blocked.

Its pitiful that you have no issue with police officers safety. You realize that they are getting attacked and killed around the country don’t you?

It’s been reported that guns were seen, objects were being pulled from backpacks. An officer was injured by something thrown.
I have no issue with police officers protecting themselves. HPD doesn't say they were protecting themselves though, they said they gassed the crowd as a precaution in case they become violent.

And where were the guns? Did the girls who were pepper sprayed have assault weapons I missed in the video?

I found some pictures with protesters who were armed though. Do you think all of these guys should have been shot in case they became violent, as HPD said was their justification?

michigan-protest.jpg

AP20121567730868.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Tiger Jams
I would love to have seen your reaction if that was a crowd of tea partiers or shutdown protesters. I am sure you would support a crowd including chilidren being gassed and people being seriously wounded with rubber bullets as a "precaution" in case they became violent, as the HPD spokesperson put it.

None of these people protesting at the Michigan Capital had a permit and some were very hostile. You believe they should have been shot with rubber bullets and gassed, correct?

200430-lansing-protest-al-1403_5391b85a0629b7903af26aa8a57c4241.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg

Don’t start deflecting now. Try to stick with what happened in Huntsville tonight. Your the one who jumped to conclusions based on Josh Moon, seconds of videos and a statement that you clearly didn’t read. Or if you did...you didn’t comprehend.

I don't recall one member of LEO assaulted, injured or killed during these nationwide protest. I am at least willing to concede on certain points and I am stubborn as ****.

Reactions: audeuce02

So the direct quote from the Lt. And several first hand accounts I have are invalidated by a 48 sec video and a reporter misquoting the Lt.?

And ANY peaceful protest is protected by the first amendment. Period. F this permit noise btw.

I have no issue with police officers protecting themselves. HPD doesn't say they were protecting themselves though, they said they gassed the crowd as a precaution in case they become violent.

And where were the guns? Did the girls who were pepper sprayed have assault weapons I missed in the video?

I found some pictures with protesters who were armed though. Do you think all of these guys should have been shot in case they became violent, as HPD said was their justification?

michigan-protest.jpg

AP20121567730868.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Your the guy relying on statements from Huntsville police officers. Im just telling you what they are saying.
Were those photos taken at Huntsville tonight?

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/stand-and-shout-protests-continue-across-alabama.html

Don’t start deflecting now. Try to stick with what happened in Huntsville tonight. Your the one who jumped to conclusions based on Josh Moon, seconds of videos and a statement that you clearly didn’t read. Or if you did...you didn’t comprehend.
Nope. HPD made it very clear the protest was not violent which is reflected by the video. That's why they said they gassed the crowd as a precaution to ensure it did not become violent. If they were already violent, they would have certainly made that clear.

You said that protesters who are hostile or armed should be gassed and shot with rubber bullets. Are live rounds warranted when he police see a protester carrying a gun? Can you link all of your posts where you called for the protesters in Michigan to be gassed and shot with rubber bullets and/or live rounds because they were hostile and to ensure they did not become violent?

So the direct quote from the Lt. And several first hand accounts I have are invalidated by a 48 sec video and a reporter misquoting the Lt.?

And ANY peaceful protest is protected by the first amendment. Period. F this permit noise btw.
Nope. As I noted above, if protesters refuse to disperse and decide to engage in civil disobedience, I have no issue with the police telling them anyone who stays will be taken into custody. Zip tie anyone who chooses to remain. This happens all the time at our country at peaceful protests.

The protesters at the Michigan capital had no permit and they were all armed and hostile towards the police. I assume you agree with Jackson that they should have been gassed and/or shot with rubber bullets and/or live rounds to ensure they did not become violent, correct?

Nope. HPD made it very clear the protest was not violent which is reflected by the video.

You said that protesters who are hostile or armed should be gassed and shot with rubber bullets. Are live rounds warranted when he police see a protester carrying a gun? Can you link all of your posts where you called for the protesters in Michigan to be gassed and shot with rubber bullets and/or live rounds because they were hostile and to ensure they did not become violent?
Where I did I say? Try to be an honest debater for once. You are relying on a police statement. You linked it. The police are saying things got hostile. I’m not saying that...they are. Maybe the protest was peaceful but it ended. They gave people time to go home. Apparently, according to the same police you were earlier relying on, things went downhill.

I’ll link the ones I made about that when you link the ones where they were violent towards police, looted and burned down buildings. Deal?

Nope. HPD made it very clear the protest was not violent which is reflected by the video. That's why they said they gassed the crowd as a precaution to ensure it did not become violent. If they were already violent, they would have certainly made that clear.

Your the guy relying on statements from Huntsville police officers. Im just telling you what they are saying.
Were those photos taken at Huntsville tonight?

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/stand-and-shout-protests-continue-across-alabama.html

Per al.comm it was 100% peaceful.

"water bottles, the first sign of any offensive action by protesters, fly"

"injury to his head after being hit by an unknown object thrown at him"

"reporters saw a window broken out at The Kaffeeklastsch in downtown Huntsville"

I don't recall one member of LEO assaulted, injured or killed during these nationwide protest. I am at least willing to concede on certain points and I am stubborn as ****.
Treating a peaceful protest as a riot because riots have occurred elsewhere is the worst way imaginable to cause the protests to stop. Videos of peaceful protesters being gassed tonight will ensure thousands more show up across our state and country tomorrow and in the coming days.

What do you think would have happened if a protester had gotten in an officers face tonight who was carrying a gun and screamed like this guy?

5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY_AFP_1QX44Z.jpg

The only thing being made clear ITT is that some people have no issue with gassing peaceful protesters when they disagree with them. If Michigan state police had deployed tear gas in the rotunda of their capital to break up this hostile protest with no permit, the howls from folks like @Jackson68 would have been audible for miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: bagr
Per al.comm it was 100% peaceful.

"water bottles, the first sign of any offensive action by protesters, fly"

"injury to his head after being hit by an unknown object thrown at him"

"reporters saw a window broken out at The Kaffeeklastsch in downtown Huntsville"
I linked the article. Apparently, when the police said in DM8’s linked statement that things got a little hostile he was telling the truth. The AL.com article seems to confirm it.

Nope. As I noted above, if protesters refuse to disperse and decide to engage in civil disobedience, I have no issue with the police telling them anyone who stays will be taken into custody. Zip tie anyone who chooses to remain. This happens all the time at our country at peaceful protests.

The protesters at the Michigan capital had no permit and they were all armed and hostile towards the police. I assume you agree with Jackson that they should have been gassed and/or shot with rubber bullets and/or live rounds to ensure they did not become violent, correct?

So several people told me the protesters were throwing things at cops...if you throw things at cops, bad things could happen. If said events happened in Michigan, there should be the same, canned response.

However, the lazy cop just pepper spraying my friends pissed me off. Both sides are wrong.

How many LEOS were assaulted, injured or killed in Huntsville tonight? Treating a peaceful protest as a riot because riots have occurred elsewhere is the worst way imaginable to cause the protests to stop. Videos of peaceful protesters being gassed tonight will ensure thousands more show up across our state and country tomorrow and in the coming days.

What do you think would have happened if a protester had gotten in an officers face tonight who was carrying a gun and screamed like this guy?

The only thing being made clear ITT is that some people have no issue with gassing peaceful protesters when they disagree with them. If Michigan state police had deployed tear gas in the rotunda of their capital to break up this hostile protest with no permit, the howls from folks like @Jackson68 would have been audible for miles.
Not reading your wall post but according to al.com law enforcement was indeed assaulted and injured.

How many LEOS were assaulted, injured or killed in Huntsville tonight? Treating a peaceful protest as a riot because riots have occurred elsewhere is the worst way imaginable to cause the protests to stop. Videos of peaceful protesters being gassed tonight will ensure thousands more show up across our state and country tomorrow and in the coming days.

Apparently one was hit by something thrown and received minor injuries. According to the police department.

Where I did I say? Try to be an honest debater for once. You are relying on a police statement. You linked it. The police are saying things got hostile. I’m not saying that...they are. Maybe the protest was peaceful but it ended. They gave people time to go home. Apparently, according to the same police you were earlier relying on, things went downhill.

I’ll link the ones I made about that when you link the ones where they were violent towards police, looted and burned down buildings. Deal?
Wait, you don't agree with hostile armed protesters being gassed? That's what you said above.

The protesters in Michigan meet both of your criteria for gassing and firing rubber bullets as they were armed and hostile. Would you have supported gassing the crowd depicted above in their state capital to ensure they did not become violent?

ADVERTISEMENT