ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-Alabama A&M)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to meet with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares for its season opener vs. Alabama A&M on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Congratulations to soccer starting out 3-0 and good luck to all the other sports kicking off. Wish them the best. Congrats to Chris Williams. National Assistant Coach of the Year.

*** Prayers with the family and friends of the kid who died at Morgan Academy.

*** Excited that it is game week. Let the staff off yesterday for our last Sunday we will have off for a while.

*** Always full of anticipation. So far from the truth for him to know what to expect from his team. You are 2 or 3 games in when you know who you really are.

*** "I don't know who we are just yet. We are better at spots for sure but you have to go prove it on Saturday."

*** Mentions it is All Auburn, All Orange. Looking forward to seeing all the great, great fans in the stadium.

*** A&M has several unknown. Doesn't know their coach personally. Has a great reputation. The QB battle is up in the air. At least AU can't figure out which one will start. They have a really good running back and tight end. Several OL on All-SWAC.

*** Defensively, the safety is an All-Conference performer. And Ellis is a twitch pass rusher. Loaded with transfers and have a new defensive coordinator from South Carolina State.

*** Knows two of their transfers because they were at Liberty.

*** On swapping guys on left side: "It will take a few games to realize what we will look like. They rotated Johnson, Wade and Lewis last week. Likely that Wade will play both guard and tackle. And then see who plays the best." Says they will need all of them.

*** Nix, Austin, Hiller are in box. Ben Aigamaua, Thornton, Marcus will be on field.

*** DJ Durkin is trying to still figure out who is in box and who is on field.

*** "Keep them fresh and get them touches." - on how to use Jarquez and Damari

*** On KeAndre Lambert-Smith: "One of the most impressive things about Dre is his leadership. He's really been selfless. He bounced back last week and looked ready to play."

*** Pretty free rotation at the wide receiver spot. I want them fresh. Expects next guy up if there is a really deep ball, especially an incompletion.

*** It's hard to find how to speak a hard truth to players nowadays. It's not like it was 10 years ago. The fine line between coaching is unfortunately is to be critical evaluators but I never want it to be personal.

*** On Austin Keys update: "In our staff meeting the medical report felt like he was a probable. We will see how he handles the day-to-day." Same with Keionte Scott.

*** HF finds depth charts ridiculous. He has reiterated this many times. Explains the 37 starters on defense.

*** "Very confident sitting here today. But I've said since spring practice that he has to get the job done. I've always believed in him. But I believe in him more now than I did in January because of what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing in the film room." - On Payton Thorne

*** "Still has a ways to go in the protection and the fixes we need him to make. Throws the deep balls extremely well. Needs to be more accurate in others. Holden is still getting some reps as well." - on Hank Brown

*** On punt returner: "Let's say Keionte is healthy, he would be the first go. If not, it would be KeAndre Lambert-Smith. Next would be Bryce Cain or Malcolm Simmons." Really trusts Will Upton to catch it

*** "Alex is much better. But I don't think he will be ready to go, but don't hold me to that. Towns is prepared and is ready to go." - on kicker situation.

*** On what statement he wants team to make: "I want us to play with passion in Jordan-Hare that is consistent all year long. A confident team that shows they love each other and that they love Auburn."

*** On Sam Jackson and his speed in RPO game: "We are blessed to have him and Robert and Malcolm and Bryce in that slot position. Three of those four will be freely rotating during the game."

*** "The great thing about football is that nothing great happens by yourself." He senses from this team is that they are ready for that.

*** On in-helmet communication: "The players are handling it pretty easy. It's probably me. I'm talking into it and not pushing the right button. It's taking me some adjusting for sure." Did have an issue on Saturday but quickly got it fixed. Only had two plays where they couldn't use it.

That's it for HF. Happy Game Week!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.