ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (post-Cal)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze following Auburn's 21-14 loss to Cal.

Please follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Disappointing. Thought we were further along. They were well-coached and their quarterback played lights out in the first half. Positive is that our defense really, really improved in the second half and gave us chances.

*** "You can't turn the ball over five times and expect to beat anybody."

*** On pace of offense in last 6 minutes. "I thought we went fast with those possessions. Now when it got down to the red zone we had some checks to do."

*** On Payton Thorne and QB situation: "Will have to watch the film first. We struggled to protect him tonight. He had some guys open but we struggled to protect him. I'd rather watch the film and then talk about it on Monday."

*** On last pick, Thorne was expected Lambert-Smith to run a different route. The first one with two minutes left, I want to see if the ball was left inside. Cam was hurting and needed to get him out, but I don't think Payton knew that he was hurting. It was kind of caught on the release.

*** "Cal did a great job of mixing it up (on defense). Of bringing pressure, loading the box."

*** On defense: "Keldric is one of the best leaders we have and someone you can count on when things are going bad."

That's it for Hugh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.